Gloat: (Almost) Great yardsale buy today

Went yard sale hunting today and the bag was full when I got home. Found two old Stanley #4's in good shape. One has a cracked but not broken tote which is a common thing while the other is fine shape for their age. I used the dating procedure on this website------>

and a couple other sites I found and determined one to be made in 1925 and the other

1931-32. While not extremely rare I thought it to be cool they were that old and still in the shape they are in. The man I got them from said they were his fathers and that he was into wood working most all his life. To the best of his knowledge his father bought them both new and was the only owner until me. How cool is that? I love stuff like that. I'm getting them back to working order tonight and see how they do. I got both of them and the guy threw in a cheapo noname #4 all for a 20 dollar bill. Good buy I thought!

Jim

Reply to
James D. Kountz

Congratulations. Three planes for $20 is a good day or yard sailing. Now get some #7s and #8s for decent prices and start fillling in your collection. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

I'm not sure that you actually suck, but it's a damned good buy. Congrats!

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

It's good luck for you, but somehow sad that the seller thought so little of his father that he sold his heritage, and so cheaply at that.

Reply to
Lee K

I'll give you a gloat for that. I was also at a garage sale that had a plane, but it was a Regent (I think), not new, but a few steps down in quality from your Stanleys. They wanted $15.00 for it, and I have a quite a few better planes, so I left it. So by comparison you did very well.

Enjoy!

Reply to
ToolMiser