GLOAT!!

Page 2 of 2

Yup - thats a fair Gloat.. . . .
But, my youngish cobber - beware the dream of making furniture for a living . .. . . !
I've been doing it for 17 years now - and it is a good life . . . I even got to the stage where I thought we could move down to the Southwest (WA) from Fremantle, and live in what was our holiday home - seeing as now I was already a multi hundredaire. . . . and slow up a tad . . .
So move we did - and set up a new little Furniture Gallery .. . . Now, after 3and a bit years down here , I have never been so busy .. . . . I am running an 11 month waiting list for my work, and turn away as much work as I accept.
And whats more - having just managed to turn 50 with most of my body parts still working and present . . .. . I am still a multi hundredaire . .. .
Phil
The Nannup Furniture Gallery Support small business ~ Save a Species Today ~ ME! www.swanriverfurniture.com.au snipped-for-privacy@swanriverfurniture.com.au

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 17:02:57 +0800, "Phil Laird"

Good to see yer voice, Phully.
And "Amen" to yer thinking on perfeshunnel wooddorking.
Phil Laird apparently said,on my timestamp of 30/07/2005 7:02 PM:

Hehehe! Looks like things are still as hectic as before, eh Phully?
Good to hear from you, ya old ratbag! 50 eh? Welcome to my decade...
--
Cheers
Nuno Souto

So, are you up to the challenges of an apprentice or three? ;-)
Of course, sometimes more people on a project just means a longer process.
Congratulations on your success.
Patriarch
[snipperized for brevity]

The Dutch have a saying: "met je neus in de boter vallen." Literally translated: "falling with your nose in the butter."
That doesn't translate very well, but you get the picture, right? <G> Congratulations. Nothing better than a gig that flexes your skill-sets; variety is a spice indeed. You'll learn something new every day. Then, just when you think you've gathered a lot of know-how...SURPRISE!!!
I hope that 30 years down the road, when you are interviewing some wide-eyed kid, you remember this opportunity given to you.
Good luck, bro'.
Prometheus,
Congratulations!
It's always great to see another woodworker join the ranks of full time professional.
Best of luck with the new position, Ed
http://profit.profitfromwood.com
Congratulations on the new job. Best of luck.

that's GREAT news!! Hope the job is and stays as advertised and you enjoy it for however long you choose to do it...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 10:23:11 -0700, mac davis

Thanks for all the congrats, guys. Figured I'd follow up on it, as it's the end of my first day. For once, it turns out the job is just like I hoped it'd be... We were working on expanding a garage on a house that looked like an old Engish Manor (must of had at least 7 bedrooms) and the emphesis was consistantly on doing things correctly- not just wacking them out as quickly as possible. Tools were top-notch, materials were top-notch, and the guy I work for is a nice fella. Asked about the attached shop at home base a little, and it turns out that it's not only possible but likely that there'll be times where my job is building cabinetry and custom furniture for months straight, where the job needs it. Busted out concrete for a good hunk of the day today, but tomorrow it sounds Iike I'm going to be refabricating old custom woodwork in a kitchen at another site. From the way it sounds, this company is sort of the unofficial caretaker of the old lumber barons' mansions in the old money part of town.
Excellent stuff- there's always a bit of disbelief on my part when someone describes a new job to me, but it looks like these guys were right on the level.
(And it pays better than steel work!)
Congratulations on starting your new career. Don't forget to give the woodworking gods a sacrifice so they smile on you and give what you need not what you want. Larry

Always make my weekly sacrifice each weekend. Wouldn't want to offend the big guys!

Did you start the new job? Details?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

You missed it. He responded last night. After the second day, he's probably too high to answer you now. Looks like he found that "perfect slot"

Yep. It's going great- Looks like most my work is going to be high-end trim and cabinet fabrication, though the last three days have been slightly heavier framing because the other guy that does the detail work has been having back problems. Of course, I'm finding that it's *all* detail work there- learned quite a bit already that I had never even considered when working for myself, like pouring foundation footings, crowning studs to get a perfectly flat wall, and a bunch of other neat little tricks. It's like working at home, only I get paid for it. Co-workers and the boss are all nice guys, too. Never had a job where I even considered hanging around off the clock before, but I do at this one- good stuff!

Great. When you like your job, life is basically good. JOAT know his stuff.