GLOAT!!

Page 1 of 2

Greets all,
I've got the mother of all gloats today-
I was looking to get back into construction, and things were looking ok as far as finding a job went, but I was finding that a whole lot of the guys doing it were (to put it very bluntly) sort of hacks. You know the deal if you've ever seen it- wet pine timbers nailed together in the quickest half-assed manner possible, with clumsily hacked sheets of OSB sorta stapled on the frame, and the whole deal wrapped in Tyvec to hide the shoddy workmanship. Lots of caulk and shims- anyhow, you get the picture.
But, I did find one contractor that looked like he was worth working for- an older fella whose crew specializes in renovation of historical properties, and the job included not just your standard hack and nail framing for the lowest bidder, but historical research, fabrication of historically accurate mouldings and fixtures, nice classic wooden staircases, masonry work, you name it- they do it for a premium, and do it right. It was the only place I saw that had a wood shop- a fully stocked cabinet maker's style shop, no less, and not much of an office (that's a bonus in my book- it means they're working out of the shop, and that's always a good situation for the guys on the ground!)
Having been doing renovations on nights and weekends for myself for a long time, I didn't think I had a chance- most of them are looking for someone who has gotten a paycheck from company XYZ for X number of years. But I figured the worst he could do was tell me no- so what the heck.
But today, I got the call- looks like I'm starting Monday, and I'm even making more money than my crappy steelworking job. Words can't even describe it- looks like all the time I put into my hobby is finally paying off in spades! (80% of my resume was "additional qualifications" related to woodworking)
And, the day job is now going to actually be helping me reach my goal of making furniture for a living someday, instead of putting me at risk of being crippled just to pay the bills... Guess I can join JOAT now in saying that life is basically good! :)

Don't sell yourself short there guy. The man obviously saw something there. And you get to work in an environment that is healthy for you. The best of all worlds.
Congrats. We expect good things from you.
Lee Michaels wrote:
Congratulations Prometheus. Nice to see someone moving ahead in life :)

Fantastic news! This is not just a job, but a career. Something you can truly enjoy doing and doing the right way.
Anybody with a hammer can get a job pounding nails, but, IMO, this is going to allow you to use your skills and can lead to so many good things.
I'm looking forward to some progress reports. Good luck with your future.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Congratulations. That must feel great.
If you don't mind me asking, about how old are you? I have been semi-retired from aerospace for about 3 years and continue to do consulting to keep me in tools and to feed the retirement accounts. However, I have been thinking about how great it would be to do something truly 'constructive'.
RonB

Nah, I don't mind- I'm 26. Young enough to still be a framer if I had to, but with 15 years of manual labor under my belt already, I'm starting to feel the faint echoes of what it'd be like in 20 years if I tried to keep doing the bull work as a long-term career. This way (with the finer, more involved work) is actually sustainable, and it makes for a much more satisfying career in the long run. Been doing construction since I was 19, and that's pretty much all I actually like to do- I was only a steel worker because the morgage companies seem to like jobs like that better (read, one constant location and year-round work guaranteed) when they're deciding whether or not you get a home loan. But now I've got my house, and I can return to what I like!
FWIW, I know a lot of retired engineers and computer programmers seem to enjoy plumbing (for whatever reason, that seems to be the big one) as well. It's not as rare as you may think for a guy to go into the buidling trades a little later in life, and they often do better work. It's especially worthwhile if you're retired- then you can really take the time to pick and choose who you work for, or just do cash work for homeowners by putting a little ad in the paper.
"Prometheus" wrote in message

Congratulations ... my bet is that with your attitude, whatever you do you will be a success. In a nutshell, that's really what it takes.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/23/05
Prometheus wrote:

Congratulations.
Sounds like the kind of stuff that could be really fun.
Would have enjoyed that myself. Let me know if you get bored... :-)
Prometheus wrote:

Congrats, I'm actually retired and doing the exact same thing. I owned a cable construction company for 25 years and watched the whole business go to shit. So one day when a employee of 2 weeks came up to me and said I was doing it wrong, it was the last straw. I shut my business down and went on vacation for 3 years. Then decided to open a fix it, handy man service and been loving it ever since. I do the jobs I want and work the hours I want. I'm always busy and even get jobs where I build cabinets and furniture. Most of what I do is renovations, kitchen and baths and enjoy it completely.
Good luck, there is nothing like doing what you truly enjoy!!!
Rich

was
And what kind of answer did you give him?
Upscale wrote:

I had a cable contracting constuction company. He was an employee of the Cable Provider. Charter Cable. I went to management and it was told to me there was nothing they could do about it. Believe me this had been boiling for sometime, other problems but this one just pushed me over the edge. I had made plenty of bucks in the business for the last 25 years and was ready to give it up. It was fun for about 15 but the last 10 was misery. Besides in Southern California cable contracting is done by illegal aliens, and you get what you pay for.
Rich
I guess it's easier to get a job when you're 4 days ahead of everyone else. IOW, you might want to check your system clock, so your posts don't stay stuck at the top of some wreck reading software packages.
BTW, congrats on the job. I've always thought the best job to have is one that you'd do for free (and then get paid for it).
Clint

So THAT"S why some posts are constantly at the top! Duh... I thought it might be something on my end. Guess not.

Add me to the list of congrats. At 26, you are a very lucky young man to do what you want, enjoy and collect a paycheck.
Aiming toward your own business is the right direction. A good reputation means everything.
Best of luck!
Lou

Let me jump in here on Lou's post and suggest taking a few business courses while you're building your reputation... Very frequently, good craftsman doing good work lose their ass financially because they just aren't business folks... and not everyone is..
My wife works for a large local contractor that needed his business organized and made more profitable... after a few weeks she realized that he was losing money on almost every job he did... (some were gross bids of over 500k)
He basically was the best metal stud and texture guy in the area and bought the company that he worked for when the owner retired... no background in management, no business training.. hell, his wife even had to balance his personal check book for him..
Fortunately, he has enough employees and jobs scheduled that he can afford "middle management" and my wife can pull him out of debt in about 2 years..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

*sheepish grin* Yep- I made an appointment for something else, and used the calendar on the system clock to check the date of it- didn't realize I had changed it until later. Should be all right now.

Yeah, the system clock is a bad thing to use for checking dates. Seems like a flaw in Billy-boy's system, a system that asks you 5 different ways whether you really want to delete that file you named "deleteme.txt" changes date and time with *no* positive entry.
Prometheus (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| I've got the mother of all gloats today-
Congratulations!
Normally I'd say: "You suck!" but this goes way beyond suckage...

Have to agree. Finding a job you enjoy doing with a person you wouldn't mind working for/with and doing it is way beyond just a simple gloat.
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 01:28:15 -0400, Upscale wrote:

Top 3 life gloats:
1)The birth of a child 2)Marrying the person you truly love and who loves you just as much. 3)Making a living doing what you love.
Yeah, I'd say Prometheus did OK.
--
-Joe Wells

Prometheus wrote:

Good on ya, Having a job that you like, and it pays the bills, makes getting up in the mornings so much easier. Congratulations John