@#$%^&* glasses

Page 4 of 4
Josepi wrote:

Pity.
You might try ragging on your opthamologist for various "samples" from various manufacturers. Wouldn't surprise me that you'd eventually find a brand and model that worked quite well.
"Opthamologist"? ROFLMFAO Samples of what? Knives and clamps?
You guys can't seriously see an eye surgeon to get corrective lenses? Your car mechanic would probably be more advised on that one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophthalmology
I can't wear contacts. Can manage them for a month or so but eventually they get very uncomfortable for me. And that includes one time use disposables so it's not my cleaning.
Josepi wrote:

Hmm. I get an eye exam once a year from an opthamologist, not an optometrist, not an optician, and not in the same building with a Walmart.
Here's my doctor's c.v.: http://www.houstoneye.com/index.php?/doctor/action/view/doctor_name/Richard_Ou
You'll notice he's an honor graduate of Harvard, got his M.D. from Baylor, and did his 4-year ophthalmic residency at UCLA's Jules Stein Eye Institute, and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
Now if YOU want to go to a car mechanic for corrective lenses (for eyes, not fenders), well, to each his own I suppose.
He has all kinds of degrees but, here, he would not be prescribing corrective lenses.
Does he aim headlights?
Hmm. I get an eye exam once a year from an opthamologist, not an optometrist, not an optician, and not in the same building with a Walmart.
Here's my doctor's c.v.: http://www.houstoneye.com/index.php?/doctor/action/view/doctor_name/Richard_Ou
You'll notice he's an honor graduate of Harvard, got his M.D. from Baylor, and did his 4-year ophthalmic residency at UCLA's Jules Stein Eye Institute, and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
Now if YOU want to go to a car mechanic for corrective lenses (for eyes, not fenders), well, to each his own I suppose.
Josepi wrote: "Opthamologist"? ROFLMFAO Samples of what? Knives and clamps?
You guys can't seriously see an eye surgeon to get corrective lenses? Your car mechanic would probably be more advised on that one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophthalmology
Josepi wrote:

I don't know where your "here" is, but in US in gneral and at least in the states I've any familiarity (about half), it is certainly not out of the ordinary for opthamologists to have practices in which they routinely see patients for such purposes as well as those requiring their more in-depth training and knowledge (as compared to optometrists, say). Whether there are any that would proscribe against such a practice I'm unaware; doesn't seem like of much purpose.
As a general rule, I'll see the optometrist altho every X number of years (X is a variable and not set by anybody/anything except whim) I'll do the opthamologist route for a more thorough headlight alignment. As aging, figure it can't hurt for the other guy to also consider what he thinks re: early cataract signs, etc., etc., etc., ... even tho the base services are roughly the same can't hurt to see the expert on occasion...
Canada
I doubt our Opthomologists would know much about corrective lenses. Any Optometrist would check for glaucoma and/cataracts, binaural vision and perform tear duct flushing (minor eye precedures). I had it (duct flushing) done once at an eye surgeon's practice and I won't do that again. Haven't been right since. Optometry is a different field, taught in universities, here, and the two don't cross very much.
An Optician would allign and spec the lens layout and fit them to your eyes / head. Poor Optometrists would do this themselves in light of a small practice.
[...]

Josepi wrote:

From the Canadian Ophthalmological Society website:
"Ophthalmologists are the designated leaders of the eye care team. They are medical eye doctors who specialize in eye and vision care, diagnosis and the treatment of eye disease and provide comprehensive eye exams, PRESCRIBE CORRECTIVE LENSES, prescribe and administer medication and perform surgery." (Emphasis added)
http://www.eyesite.ca/english/public-information/eye-care-team.htm
Wow! Good catch! I wonder if they can remove egg out my eye or a person's face?
I guess they are so short on quantity here they wouldn't think of doing eye focal problems for the measly than the $3-400 per hour an optometrist would make. In our area of about 500K we have more Optometrists than can fit in several yellow pages and only two Opthomologists and one retired a few years ago. Now Opticians run amuck and are killing the Optometrists. The last one I saw was brought in on a sub-contractor day at the Optician' place.
I just can't imagine a trained surgeon lowering him/herself to prescribe a lens grind for $75.
On that note:
My parents had a little water leak and hired a plumber. After about 30 seconds under the sink the plumber anounced it was fixed and the bill was $200 for the minimum time call.
My father went ballistic! "I am a brain surgeon and I don't make $200 in 1 minutes work!"
The plumber retorted with,
"I didn't make that either, when I was a brain sugeon!"
From the Canadian Ophthalmological Society website:
"Ophthalmologists are the designated leaders of the eye care team. They are medical eye doctors who specialize in eye and vision care, diagnosis and the treatment of eye disease and provide comprehensive eye exams, PRESCRIBE CORRECTIVE LENSES, prescribe and administer medication and perform surgery." (Emphasis added)
http://www.eyesite.ca/english/public-information/eye-care-team.htm
Josepi wrote:

Ah, but if you are referred to an opthamologist for screening for a malady that's a consequence of a disease your family doctor is treating (say potential diabetic retinopathy), he'll easily throw in the scribbling of a prescription.

Sure, that's what my wife does when she has to see an ophthalmologist. No need to see the optometrist and optician (works for the optometrist) that year.

Goggles going to be interesting at the checkout line or worse - the Bank.
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

Sorry if this has been said (didn't read all the replies), but ...
Shop Glasses = Polycarbonate Lenses
http://www.allaboutvision.com/lenses/polycarb.htm

As a woodturner, polycarbonate lense3s are great, except when using CA glue.