@#$%^&* glasses

That shit should be outlawed for use on a windshield.
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 16:15:29 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Only at 40 below in sub-arctic banana belts. It works magnificently here in the States. Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft!
-- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. -- Peter Minard

Why? I love the stuff. At highway speeds, not using wipers gives a clear view better than using wipers.
--
Jim in NC

Because everytime the wiper travels across the windsheild the grease left from the RainX garbage makes a haze that you can't see through. Then after two or three seconds the haze disapears and the windsheild gets clear again. Driving without wipers usually gives a better view, sometimes.
The stuff could be considered dangerous and probably should be banned. It's like driving with your head up your ass half the time. Pehaps in a warmer weather it may work.
wrote >> That shit (rain-X) should be outlawed for use on a windshield.
On 1/1/11 2:28 PM, Josepi wrote:

I bet it's corrosive, huh? :-p
--

-MIKE-

an oak-dominated forest...
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

treatment and get rid of the haze problem.
The washer fluid alone will do a good job, and not cause any haze problem.
--
Jim in NC

I won't touch their products ever again. It tooks me about three rounds of scrubbing to get that crap off my windshield before it stopped hazing over with normal blade wiping. I look for cleaning products without any grease in them.
I wore out my angle grinder too...LOL
Get some of the rain x windshield washer fluid. That will cut off the extra treatment and get rid of the haze problem.
The washer fluid alone will do a good job, and not cause any haze problem.
--
Jim in NC

"Josepi" < snipped-for-privacy@easynews.calm> wrote in message

Ah so you were using red oak saw dust as an abrasive eh?
Mark
Wasn't the oak that was abrasive, only the windshield glass that is hard on the carborundum disc full of WD40 in the bearings..

How long has it been since you had a pair of polycarbonate lenses?
I ask, because there are many different types of poly nowadays, and some like my last pair are the most scratch resistant of any I have ever had, by many times over.
I just had to order a new pair, since they got crushed, somehow. I only hope they are as good. They had better be, for the price. New frames and transitions bifocals, 284 bucks. I about chocked on that, but I will not have a pair without transitions (darkening and UV protection) lenses.
--
Jim in NC

"Morgans" wrote:

Never.
Based on how I take care of glasses, perhaps mishandle is a better description, have been advised to stay with glass. ------------------------------------- > I just had to order a new pair, since they got crushed, somehow. I only

Sounds like you got a deal to me.
I wear a lens ground from 62mm blank for an aviator (RayBan) type frame, trifocals and photo gray lenses.(Darkening for glass)
Corning is the only supplier and they are very proud of their 62mm lenses.
(A shade under $400 for the last pair including frames and that included a discount as a repeat customer.)
Lew

Actually that's not a horrible price for polycarbonate Transitions. Personally I've never been impressed with photochromic lenses though.
And you don't need to do anything to polycarbonate to get UV protection anyway.
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 01:00:26 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"

I stepped on a rake (carefully stored backwards against the wheelbarrow) the day after I got my new Zennis. It put two small scraches on the left lens near the nose. It took five minutes to reshape the frames, but nothing broke, including the lens. Now, a couple months later, I'm noticing a distinct corrosion on the right temple, where it touches my face. I'm going to have to replace them with either SS or titanium frames due to my corrosive skin makeup. This isn't the first time it's happened. My other glasses have longer plastic segments on their temples and haven't corroded. I spent a whopping extra $4 for an extra set of Zenni frames, too. I'll put these lenses in that frame and keep it in the truck. I usually keep the old pair there, too, just in case. And I now keep a set of computer glasses in there, too.

IF you can stand the distortion. Poly has over twice the distortion of high and regular index plastics. I had to have a pair of lenses replaced for that reason once. They kept me dizzy for a week yet showed up true in the prescription recheck. Caveat Emptor.
-- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. -- Peter Minard

Some kind of plastic--doesn't really matter--250 pounds in a riding boot will do for any of them.
When polycarbonate meter covers replaced the glass ones the demo was to throw a meter down an ashphalt road about 50 metres. The result? Not a scratch for hardened polycarbonates. A gunshot was laso demonstrated. I didn't get to see that one. Tougher than glass, anyday.
Some kind of plastic--doesn't really matter--250 pounds in a riding boot will do for any of them.
FWIW many safety professionals recommend against transistional lenses in industrial settings where they are not used outdoors.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org says...

I am curious as to why, other than that they don't get quite as clear as conventional lenses?

I don't think a factory, warehouse, truck shop, etc. exists where the light is too bright.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Lights directly over a bench (and your head) are bright enough to dim the transitionals.