@#$%^&* glasses

Page 1 of 4
Took my glasses off to see to mark something, went off to do something else, came back, something went CRACK--of course the glasses had fallen on the floor and that was them, and it was the lenses that went CRACK so no straightening the frame and going on about my business.
ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH.
Oh, well, 60 bucks to China and two weeks and I'll have plenty of glasses. And in the meantime I can wear my motorcycle goggles (three cheers for prescription goggles).
Sorry, just venting.

I had an optometrist (actually Mordecai Richler's brother in St John's) once ask me how many pairs of shoes I had. So why would I have only one pair of glasses? Although he had a definite interest in the matter, it makes perfect sense to me. Now, I have 3 pairs (I lost one on my hunting trip this fall, I couldn't find them under the snow.)
I also had a scary incident on I5 in northern Oregon when my lens fell off on a rainy night last November. And that was the right eye, the one through which I see (for those who don't know, I am a one-eye- talian). Luckily there was a rest stop not too far ahead, but I had to go into the camper to get another pair. So I now keep a spare pair in the glove compartment.
Luigi
news:bf66af30-0bb2-4b0f-b830- I had an optometrist (actually Mordecai Richler's brother in St John's) once ask me how many pairs of shoes I had. So why would I have only one pair of glasses? Although he had a definite interest in the matter, it makes perfect sense to me. Now, I have 3 pairs (I lost one on my hunting trip this fall, I couldn't find them under the snow.)
I also had a scary incident on I5 in northern Oregon when my lens fell off on a rainy night last November. And that was the right eye, the one through which I see (for those who don't know, I am a one-eye- talian). Luckily there was a rest stop not too far ahead, but I had to go into the camper to get another pair. So I now keep a spare pair in the glove compartment.
Currently, and hopefully not any worse, I only need reading glasses. Therefore, I also keep several pairs all over the house as well as the shop. Though, with the shop, I have a pair of safety glasses with the reader magnification to my need imbedded on the bottom of the lens. Best $10 spent.

Had that happen on the bike once. Of course the lens was gone--I doubt it would have been much good after bouncing down the highway at 40 mph and getting run over a few times even if I could have found it. Fortunately it was my sunglasses and I had my clears in the tank bag so it was no big deal. Got the goggles shortly after that.

J.C. I am an old motorcycle trail rider. Only need glasses for reading. Just need goggles for eye protection. What type of beast do you ride? WW

Suzuki DL650.
?

Glass glasses? Polycarbonate is the way to go. Better protection too.
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

------------------------------- Great visibility, especially when they get scratched.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Is that a fact?
There is a rather amazing list of properties of polycarbonate here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate
I was pointed to them because they can make the same prescription with reduced thickness. I pay to have them "hardened", to reduce scratches, but maybe they are just taking my money. I go out of my way not to scratch them anyway. When I paint, or similar, I wear my old pair.
I wish to get a face mask/shield for general protection when using power tools. Have a recommendation? "Works well with glasses" is non-negotiable.
Bill

I've had $30 and $15 AO Safety shields, and $8 and $3 HF shields. The pricier ones are a bit thicker, but I've never had a large piece break even the thin one. Most bits hitting it are very small, an inch or less down to smaller than sand granule size.
Any of them will do as long as they have an infinitely adjustable headband. Get that set right so it stays off your temples.
Almost all of them are made with polycarbonate, so it's stiffer and tougher. (I can handle the distortion there, in small doses, but moving around much just kills me. Urp!)
-- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. -- Peter Minard

Polycarb glasses are lighter for coke-bottle prescriptions but they tend to have annoying chromatic aberration, particularly at the edges of large lenses (useful for computer work).
I *try* not to scratch my glasses, but that's obviously not good enough. I took a chunk out of one pair last week, dropping them off a ladder onto the rock below. The other pair went through the wash (presbyopia, so only needed for reading). Both are still wearable, at least until I go to the eye doctor in a couple of months.

I've got one of the Tritons with powered filter that works fine, but they're getting scarce in the US.

I hate the fabric type ones, and since I'm bearded with glasses, those really don't work well (IMNSHO). I bought the Triton powered respirator for too many $$ a few years back, and like it a lot. Now I retired, I'll get to use it more ... I only need to find out what to do about fumes from finishing stuff.
--
Best regards
Han

I don't know. I take care of them and have not had a scratch in decades. Yes, I wear them all my waking hours too.
Hardened polycarbonate were the ones they used to issue us for safety
Apparently the polycarbonate absorb more impact but they are softer and scratch more easily. The hardening gives you the best of both worlds. This probably means prescription, only and that also makes the wrap-around not be available.
Great visibility, especially when they get scratched.
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Let me know how well they work after you have had to scrape some cured epoxy drops off that polycarbonate lens, especially if the epoxy was smeared while still wet.
Lew
I can't see it myself.
Let me know how well they work after you have had to scrape some cured epoxy drops off that polycarbonate lens, especially if the epoxy was smeared while still wet.
Lew
?

I will, if it ever happens. If I thought I was in danger of getting epoxy on my lenses, I'd be wearing safety glasses over them. Last scratch I recall was when I was about 10 years old and got a scratch the first day I wore my new glasses. Right down the center into the field of view. That was before plastics.
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 08:32:11 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

I wonder if RainX would have helped that. Give it a try, Lew.
-- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. -- Peter Minard
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

A single edge razor blade scrapes any crap off my glass lens with out any problems.
Lew