Glass tile fiasco

I had someone install translucent glass tile on the floor and walls of a retail space. The installation was not good. Aside from crooked tiles, which I can live with, the surface of the floor and walls in very uneven. I looks terrible, especially when the light hits it. I am looking for some options to fix the unevenness and maybe save the job. (Fortunately I have not paid for the work yet) I did a bit of research and these seem to be potential options to attempt to fix it. (I have about 250' sq of area split evently between walls and floor. )

1) sandblast and polish somehow 2) sand with some kind of diamond sandpaper to remove the high spots. 3) using some other kind of glass workers tool to smooth

If it can't be fixed, it will have to be removed. Anyone out there with glass or glass tile experience that might have some ideas on what to do will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Reply to
vMike

potential

If you are talking about what I think you are - the little, square glass tiles - the irregularity is normal. In all I have seen, at least.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

It either needs to be ground down somehow or removed. Mike

Reply to
vMike

I've installed the 4" glass tiles very expensive!!!! I'm not sure but taking them out is your only option. Sanding them will be a mess and will probably dull them beyond repair. I've only installed these as back splash on kitchen walls. It's kind of a new look. but boy does it look good.

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

Why live with mistakes.... Rip up and replace! Crooked tiles? Uneven? Get a good lawyer, sue him for deconstruction and replacemnet..... Get it done right!

Reply to
HMFIC-1369

Sure, call the lawyer first. Why not try to work it out first and then if all else fails, call the lawyer.

Saw a case today in the paper where a guy fell asleep on the railroad tracks, got ran over by a train and lost his legs. Now he's hooked up with some crook lawyer trying to sue the railroad and three employees for negligence. It's always someone else's fault in this country.

Reply to
D Steck

In what paper did that article appear? I'd like to nominate it for The True Stella Awards -

Dhakala

Here's the link.... (St. Louis Post Dispatch)

the wrap on the link. The story is at the bottom of the page. There's also a story of a woman suing a church because she got hit the head by a baseball near the dunking booth. That one gripes my butt too.....

Reply to
D Steck

> Watch the wrap on the link. The story is at the bottom of the page. Thanks. Gee, they didn't waste any words on that one, did they? :-)

Maybe the church put the seats too close to the dunking booth, but who put her butt in the seats?

Reply to
Dhakala

>>> Watch the wrap on the link. The story is at the bottom of the page. >

How in hell do these make it into court? Damned negligent judges and frivolous attorneys/clients.

How about the guy who got 15 years for packin' someone's fudge? Murder raps are 7 years but a butt rape is over -double- that? WTF, over?

There is no justice in US courts.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's the installer's problem- give him (or her) a call, and tell them you want it redone- the right way. If that means one of the options you've got listed above, then let them do it. Give them a chance to make good on the job before you run off to a lawyer or the like, but if all else fails, you've got that as an option as well. In any case, do not try and fix it yourself- if you do, it's no longer their problem.

Reply to
Prometheus

Met with them Friday. They want to try to do a patch job. I said no. I read the installation instructions myself. They certainly didn't follow the manufacturer's instructions. Wrong troweling method, no beater board, left Kraft paper on for couple of days instead of 15 minutes. You think you hire a professional and they will do a professional job or at least research the installation instructions if they don't know the proper method. The big tile boss comes out Monday and will take a look for himself. I think the only good answer I have heard is to take it out. Biggest problem is delaying the openning of the store and potential lost revenue. Thanks for the advice

Mike

Reply to
vMike

That's a big problem with a lot of guys- you've got to remember that the term "professional" just means they get paid for it, not that they're good at it. They're more likey to do it correctly because they have to pay the morgage with the proceeds and continue to attract new customers, but they *can* be just as inexperienced or lazy as the next guy. Hopefully, the GC who sent him out will jump on him with both feet, and then do it himself to save their reputation. Sometimes the hired lackeys will give you an entirely different line than the boss because it's just a paycheck to them.

As far as lost revenue goes- I'm no tax lawyer, so I can't give you any specifics, but AFAIK, you can write off loss of revenue due to construction delays on your taxes. Might be worth a call to someone who knows the ins and outs of that- granted, it won't help you if you need the sales right now, but it'll help at year's end, anyhow.

Reply to
Prometheus

"Justice is incidental to Law and Order." - J. Edgar Hoover.

Reply to
Dhakala