Glass tile fiasco

I had someone install translucent glass tile on the floor and walls of a retail space. The installation was not good. Aside from crooked tiles, which I can live with, the surface of the floor and walls in very uneven. I looks terrible, especially when the light hits it. I am looking for some options to fix the unevenness and maybe save the job. (Fortunately I have not paid for the work yet) I did a bit of research and these seem to be potential options to attempt to fix it. (I have about 250' sq of area split evently between walls and floor. )
1) sandblast and polish somehow 2) sand with some kind of diamond sandpaper to remove the high spots. 3) using some other kind of glass workers tool to smooth
If it can't be fixed, it will have to be removed. Anyone out there with glass or glass tile experience that might have some ideas on what to do will be greatly appreciated.
Mike

If you are talking about what I think you are - the little, square glass tiles - the irregularity is normal. In all I have seen, at least.
-- dadiOH ____________________________

It either needs to be ground down somehow or removed. Mike
vMike wrote:

I've installed the 4" glass tiles very expensive!!!! I'm not sure but taking them out is your only option. Sanding them will be a mess and will probably dull them beyond repair. I've only installed these as back splash on kitchen walls. It's kind of a new look. but boy does it look good.
Rich
Why live with mistakes.... Rip up and replace! Crooked tiles? Uneven? Get a good lawyer, sue him for deconstruction and replacemnet..... Get it done right!

Sure, call the lawyer first. Why not try to work it out first and then if all else fails, call the lawyer.
Saw a case today in the paper where a guy fell asleep on the railroad tracks, got ran over by a train and lost his legs. Now he's hooked up with some crook lawyer trying to sue the railroad and three employees for negligence. It's always someone else's fault in this country.

D Steck wrote:

In what paper did that article appear? I'd like to nominate it for The True Stella Awards - http://stellaawards.com
Here's the link.... (St. Louis Post Dispatch)
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/93964F7059CB66A28625704E0016EA67?OpenDocument
Watch the wrap on the link. The story is at the bottom of the page. There's also a story of a woman suing a church because she got hit the head by a baseball near the dunking booth. That one gripes my butt too.....

D Steck wrote:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/93964F7059CB66A28625704E0016EA67?OpenDocument
Thanks. Gee, they didn't waste any words on that one, did they? :-)

Maybe the church put the seats too close to the dunking booth, but who put her butt in the seats?
On 30 Jul 2005 13:27:09 -0700, the opaque "Dhakala"

How in hell do these make it into court? Damned negligent judges and frivolous attorneys/clients.

How about the guy who got 15 years for packin' someone's fudge? Murder raps are 7 years but a butt rape is over -double- that? WTF, over?
There is no justice in US courts.
--
Our ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) Handy Pouch Samples now available!
Never misplace your portable power tool accessories again!
Larry Jaques wrote:

"Justice is incidental to Law and Order." - J. Edgar Hoover.
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:25:29 -0400, "vMike"

That's the installer's problem- give him (or her) a call, and tell them you want it redone- the right way. If that means one of the options you've got listed above, then let them do it. Give them a chance to make good on the job before you run off to a lawyer or the like, but if all else fails, you've got that as an option as well. In any case, do not try and fix it yourself- if you do, it's no longer their problem.

the installation instructions myself. They certainly didn't follow the manufacturer's instructions. Wrong troweling method, no beater board, left Kraft paper on for couple of days instead of 15 minutes. You think you hire a professional and they will do a professional job or at least research the installation instructions if they don't know the proper method. The big tile boss comes out Monday and will take a look for himself. I think the only good answer I have heard is to take it out. Biggest problem is delaying the openning of the store and potential lost revenue. Thanks for the advice
Mike
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:44:55 -0400, "vMike"

That's a big problem with a lot of guys- you've got to remember that the term "professional" just means they get paid for it, not that they're good at it. They're more likey to do it correctly because they have to pay the morgage with the proceeds and continue to attract new customers, but they *can* be just as inexperienced or lazy as the next guy. Hopefully, the GC who sent him out will jump on him with both feet, and then do it himself to save their reputation. Sometimes the hired lackeys will give you an entirely different line than the boss because it's just a paycheck to them.
As far as lost revenue goes- I'm no tax lawyer, so I can't give you any specifics, but AFAIK, you can write off loss of revenue due to construction delays on your taxes. Might be worth a call to someone who knows the ins and outs of that- granted, it won't help you if you need the sales right now, but it'll help at year's end, anyhow.