Glass shelf specs

Does anyone have a recommendation where I can find specs for using glass shelves? I am looking for weight loads for various thicknesses and sizes of shelves.

Reply to
Jim B.

What do you want to bet that the glaziers down at the local glass shop will be able to tell you what you need to know?

The glass you need for shelves is not something you'll likely pick up at the local hardware store or borg. Then too, whatever you get will need to be edge polished.

Were I you, the first thing I'd do is consult with the glaziers. Tell them what you want to do and ask for their recommendations and tell them thanks, let me draw up the plans and I'll be back.

I believe that most of what's used for shelving is tempered and you CAN'T cut it yourself. I bought some glass shelves once (garage sale) and tried to trim it down. Trust me, it doesn't work too well. You get the picture

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Just call a local glass shop. They'll have the specs on the glass.

Reply to
David

IIRC, the Sagulator had glass info on it. I've seen it in other places and I'm sure aGoogle search will turn it up.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

it doesn't have various thicknesses of glass though.

Reply to
David

Thanks to all who replied. Sagulator does have glass, but as someone pointed out, they don't have thickness for glass. I have been planning all along to have my local glazier do the glass work, but I find it's always good to be able to check their figures. After all, if the glass shelf fails with my wife's collectibles on it, I suspect she will be after the cabinet maker - not the glazier!

Reply to
Jim B.

If you're really worried about breakage, why not consider Plexiglas or some other clear plastic product?

Reply to
Upscale

FWIW, I was going to used tempered glass for my TV stand doors which are frameless (using U-Channel hinges). I went down to my local glass shop and the guy there gave me the prices (gulp!). Then he suggested I use automotive safety glass which was 1/3 the price. He cut the panels to size and put what they call a pencil edge on the edges. It's sort of a satin polish. Now in this case I wanted smoke grey so maybe "clear" automotive glass might still have a bit of a tint from the film. I like my choice because it won't shatter into a million pieces if broken, it looks just as good as tempered glass, and the price was much more attractive.

Reply to
Mike