Glass moves on coffee table

I bought a wooden coffee table and now have a 1 year old who loves to beat on it. So I bought a cut glass top to protect the wood however, the glass slides around and it is not safe. I have tried the little plastic spacers the glass company gave me but it still moves. I have also bought every silicone stopper of every shape and size I can find and it still moves. I don't want to ruin the finish on the table trying to get the glass to stay on and I don't want my daughter beating on the table. The glass is just not safe. PLEASE help I want to keep the glass from moving.

Reply to
roadshowitchbay

Buy some plexiglas (or other clear plastic) and make a shallow box that fits over the table edges (like the plastic lid on a coffee can). You only need an inch or so of box depth to keep it (and the glass) in place. If appearance is a concern, take the plastic off when guests are there and put it back when they leave. When you daughter is older, you can use the plexiglass for router bases for you or for windows in the playhouse you plan to build for her ;-)

John

Reply to
John

As troll offspring are an abomination, I see no problem with the glass.

RicodJour

So teach her not to do that.

A family is not supposed to be a democracy. It's supposed to be a benevolent dictatorship, with the parents in charge -- and if you don't learn to control her behavior REAL SOON, and teach her to respect and obey you and your wife, you're going to have some MAJOR problems down the road. If, a dozen years from now, you find yourself with a mouthy, rebellious 13-year-old, you shouldn't wonder why. The seeds are being sown right now.

The parents are supposed to be in charge. You're not. Fix that problem first, and the coffee table problem will take care of itself.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Separate the coffee table table from the child. Maybe you can sell one or give it away.

Reply to
SWDeveloper

I believe your question had to do with furniture, not child-rearing...

Have you tried using those thin, rubber, waffle-pattern sheets that you lay under rugs to prevent them from slipping on a wooden floor? It will look sub-beautiful, but can be easily removed, along with the glass, when guests are over.

Kevin

Reply to
kgstewar

Doug Miller, wrote the following at or about 3/26/2007 12:32 PM:

Amen! Not to sound cranky or anti-child (I'm not... well, not anti-child at least) but if you teach them early that "No!" means exactly that, no equivocation, no slack, "No means no!" you'll find that everything else will fall into place quite easily.

Of course, it depends on you, the adult, to work. You have to stick with it and remember NOT to use it when what you really mean is "not right now" or "not this time."

I do so enjoy watching young parents - perhaps some that shouldn't be - letting little Johnny or Julie act quite the a**hole because they want their way. If I make eye contact, I'll smile and chuckle. Once in awhile the parent will take offense and say something like "It really isn't funny!" My response, invariably, "Oh, I know it isn't. I'm just laughing at the thought of you dealing with that in about eight years when he/she is 12-13 and at near fighting weight."

LOL!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Are you tasting a little worm right now, Doug? I think you just bit off some along with that hook, line and sinker! ;)

RicodJour

a dime sized dot of silicone caulk at each corner will hold it just fine. let sit for 24 hours without moving.

Reply to
charlie

No, it's not.

All the more reason why those efforts need to be repeated and consistent.

If that hasn't happened by 25 **MONTHS** it's already long overdue.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Reply to
Curran Copeland

Thank you for you comments

MY child rearing is NOT the problem. The GLASS is the problem. If any one young or old touches it it moves. I am more concerned about the glass coming off the table and hurting someone. If you so much as even put the littlest amount of pressure on it moves and not a little bit it can move several inches.

Reply to
roadshowitchbay

Be careful with rubber. It works well but contains sulfer which is highly reactive and may mark the wood (or finish) permanently.

Reply to
SWDeveloper

Head injuries and toddlers - coffee tables hands down. Move it and educate the child.

Reply to
George

Discipline should star at an early age. It was not hard to keep our 1 year old son from beating on the furniture. Teach him now or regret it later.

Reply to
Leon

So take it off. And teach the kid not to pound on the table.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes, it is, but some parents *never* understand that. Seems you're one of them.

No, it's not. The problem is a little kid who beats on the furniture, and parents who aren't willing to put forth the effort to stop it.

Reply to
Sherlock Holmes

That is not modern parenting. The government is supposed to take care of the kids through the public school system. It's their responsibility to take that wild animal of yours and turn them into an upstanding democrat.

Reply to
CW

Just leave it be. When the kid breaks the glass and gets cut up she'll learn that beating on glass is not the smartest idea in the world.

Now, my question is why you put _glass_ on the table to protect it from the kid beating on it. Personally I'd rather have a beat up table than a cut up kid.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
Glenn