Glass moves on coffee table

Page 1 of 2
I bought a wooden coffee table and now have a 1 year old who loves to beat on it. So I bought a cut glass top to protect the wood however, the glass slides around and it is not safe. I have tried the little plastic spacers the glass company gave me but it still moves. I have also bought every silicone stopper of every shape and size I can find and it still moves. I don't want to ruin the finish on the table trying to get the glass to stay on and I don't want my daughter beating on the table. The glass is just not safe. PLEASE help I want to keep the glass from moving.
On 26 Mar 2007 09:04:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Buy some plexiglas (or other clear plastic) and make a shallow box that fits over the table edges (like the plastic lid on a coffee can). You only need an inch or so of box depth to keep it (and the glass) in place. If appearance is a concern, take the plastic off when guests are there and put it back when they leave. When you daughter is older, you can use the plexiglass for router bases for you or for windows in the playhouse you plan to build for her ;-)
John
On Mar 26, 12:04 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

As troll offspring are an abomination, I see no problem with the glass.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

So teach her not to do that.
A family is not supposed to be a democracy. It's supposed to be a benevolent dictatorship, with the parents in charge -- and if you don't learn to control her behavior REAL SOON, and teach her to respect and obey you and your wife, you're going to have some MAJOR problems down the road. If, a dozen years from now, you find yourself with a mouthy, rebellious 13-year-old, you shouldn't wonder why. The seeds are being sown right now.
The parents are supposed to be in charge. You're not. Fix that problem first, and the coffee table problem will take care of itself.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller, wrote the following at or about 3/26/2007 12:32 PM:

Amen! Not to sound cranky or anti-child (I'm not... well, not anti-child at least) but if you teach them early that "No!" means exactly that, no equivocation, no slack, "No means no!" you'll find that everything else will fall into place quite easily.
Of course, it depends on you, the adult, to work. You have to stick with it and remember NOT to use it when what you really mean is "not right now" or "not this time."
I do so enjoy watching young parents - perhaps some that shouldn't be - letting little Johnny or Julie act quite the a**hole because they want their way. If I make eye contact, I'll smile and chuckle. Once in awhile the parent will take offense and say something like "It really isn't funny!" My response, invariably, "Oh, I know it isn't. I'm just laughing at the thought of you dealing with that in about eight years when he/she is 12-13 and at near fighting weight."
LOL!
On Mar 26, 1:32 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Are you tasting a little worm right now, Doug? I think you just bit off some along with that hook, line and sinker! ;)
That is not modern parenting. The government is supposed to take care of the kids through the public school system. It's their responsibility to take that wild animal of yours and turn them into an upstanding democrat.
wrote:

benevolent
control
wife,
from
shouldn't
first,

I think you hit the nail on the head for this guy. LOL
RE: Subject
Turn the kid over to a dog trainer.
About 6 weeks and $1,000.00 should solve the problem.
Lew
On 26 Mar 2007 09:04:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Separate the coffee table table from the child. Maybe you can sell one or give it away.

Head injuries and toddlers - coffee tables hands down. Move it and educate the child.
On Mar 26, 12:04 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I believe your question had to do with furniture, not child-rearing...
Have you tried using those thin, rubber, waffle-pattern sheets that you lay under rugs to prevent them from slipping on a wooden floor? It will look sub-beautiful, but can be easily removed, along with the glass, when guests are over.
Kevin

a dime sized dot of silicone caulk at each corner will hold it just fine. let sit for 24 hours without moving.
When he wants to remove the glass (and the silicone) the silicone will mar the table finish.
On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:45:15 -0700, "charlie"

On 26 Mar 2007 11:37:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@email.unc.edu wrote:

Be careful with rubber. It works well but contains sulfer which is highly reactive and may mark the wood (or finish) permanently.
Come on now people disciplineing a one year old is hard, and your best efforts are going to be only so so a lot of the time. Until you get the little rug rat under control in about 25 years you might try to take a disk of SOFT rough leather (not suede) and place it next to the table, on top of that place a disk of foam rubber. If that doesn't work try just the foam rubber. Another trick is a ball of contact cement, let it dry completly and then make a ball out of it and place under the glass (try all of this in a unseen place for a couple of days to make sure it won't damage the finish). I use wax paper to dry the cement on. Metal or plastic clips to hold the glass on the table can also help. There is really no perfect way to hold the glass on the table and your problem will only get worse for the next few years.

No, it's not.

All the more reason why those efforts need to be repeated and consistent.

If that hasn't happened by 25 **MONTHS** it's already long overdue.
--
Regards,
On Mar 26, 12:04 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Thank you for you comments
MY child rearing is NOT the problem. The GLASS is the problem. If any one young or old touches it it moves. I am more concerned about the glass coming off the table and hurting someone. If you so much as even put the littlest amount of pressure on it moves and not a little bit it can move several inches.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

So take it off. And teach the kid not to pound on the table.
--
Regards,
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Yes, it is, but some parents *never* understand that. Seems you're one of them.

No, it's not. The problem is a little kid who beats on the furniture, and parents who aren't willing to put forth the effort to stop it.