Glass for a wood rdisplay

Page 3 of 4  


What you're missing here is that it's only at arbitrary, small scales such as the one you presented that the errors become apparent. On a larger scale, they effectively disappear.

Again, you're missing the point. The more calculations you do, and the larger the data set on which you do them, the *less* the errors amount to.

Wow -- you lost the argument on substance, so you resort to personal abuse. How very mature.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Dec 16, 12:34 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I wasn't talking to you.

You are the only one who thinks I 'lost' anything.

That was very immature of me to 'out' you like that, but it felt great anyway.
It also pointed out that I hadn't plonked you off my laptop yet, even though I did plonk you off my Cray.
Sooo.. are you going to go away now?
r
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Guess you missed Larry Wasserman's post, then, in which he pointed out exactly the same flaws in your "reasoning" that I did. For some reason, though, you didn't find it necessary to heap abuse on him.

I outgrew deriving enjoyment from insulting other people somewhere around fifth grade. Too bad you're still stuck in junior high school.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I disagreed with you because you were WRONG -- and you obviously have a real problem with that.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Dec 17, 9:31 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

to take a look, you know, slow down to look at the accident? I KNEW you'd be back, because you HAVE to have the last word. I told you I wasn't paying any more attention to you, yet you ramble on anyway. Were you shouting into the forest, Doug? And now you're doing an Oprah/Swiftboat thing on me? Shame on you! How low have you sunk?
BTW, Karl Rove is looking for some volunteers to help assisinate a few characters. You'd be a shoe-in.
Now cite where I didn't say that.
Maybe I will stick around for a few rounds even though you're not much of a challenge.
*still laughing*
r
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

[snippage restored]

That's pretty funny. Why are YOU back?

I figured you were lying. Looks like I was right, too.

Obviously not.
Have you figured out yet that I disagreed with you because you were wrong, not because I "disagree for sport" or because I have some sort of personal animus for you? Why do you think Wasserman disagreed with you? He gave exactly the same reasons I did. Was he disagreeing "for sport", or because he thought you were wrong? (Since you didn't respond to him at all, I'm guessing you *have* figured out that you were wrong. Time to admit it.)
At some point, Rob, you need to back off and do some introspection. Why does it upset you so much to be disagreed with? Why do you have so much trouble accepting the idea that you made a mistake? Or admitting it? Why are you so insecure?
--
Regards,
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Dec 18, 9:52 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

To play wiff you!

Shall I try one more time?
1 2 3 4 5 6.1 7 8 9 10
Do YOU see anything peculiar? Or is there something wrong with MY row of numbers? Yes, that row of numbers *I* created. You don't get it do you? I suppose you don't 'get' that there is something wrong in Iraq either, eh?
Doesn't it make you feel stupid that you climbed all over me because I mentioned a Cray as an example of a great big computer. When somebody comments that a particular car is a deusy, are you one of those people who would say; "No it isn't. You are wrong. It is a Bentley."
Did you run out of nits to pick when you felt that the Cray issue was important, Doug? (And stop trying to draw parallels between you and Mr. Wasserman, you don't measure up.)
You psycho analysis sucks. Cite the evidence which makes you more secure than I. Cite one post in which you have admitted that you have been wrong. I know I have a few posts where I admitted making an error. I admit, right here, that I made an error in judgement about you, for instance. The evidence is plentyful to prove what you are.
On a political level, you're toast, btw.
Fun, eh?
r
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Doug Miller) wrote:
> Why are YOU back?
Robatoy wrote:
> To play wiff you!
It's events like this that remind me of advice given me by my mother a long time ago:
"If you are going to play with fecal matter, you are bound to get some on you".
Lew
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Oh, I see. Couldn't have anything at all with wanting to get the last word, could it.

Apparently you haven't figured it out yet.

Nothing at all wrong with it.

Oh, I get it just fine -- you're every bit as argumentative as you accuse me of being.

Apparently you see a connection between Iraq, and methods of rounding decimals. I don't.

No, it doesn't, not at all -- because I didn't do that. I disagreed with you because you made uninformed and incorrect claims about how they work and what they're used for.

If it was in fact a Bentley, and not a Deusy, I would say that, yes. But apparently you think I should agree with a mistake.

You're the one attaching all the importance to that, not me. As far as I'm concerned, that's really a minor issue. But by all means keep trying to tell me how computers work -- apparently you enjoy demonstrating your own cluelessness.

He and I raised exactly the same objections to your original post regarding number rounding. And Cray computers.

I didn't say I was. Maybe I'm not. Maybe I am. But you sure don't seem to be very secure, given the way you go off when someone disagrees with you.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home . repair/msg/1a2006f0eeddfc99?dmode=source&hl=en
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home . repair/msg/b2113b59dd0cb23f?dmode=source&hl=en
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home . repair/msg/25abff1800f83147?dmode=source&hl=en
http://groups.google.com/group/rec . woodworking/msg/913f3cb886ce38f4?dmode=source&hl=en
http://groups.google.com/group/rec . woodworking/msg/68efcb35121138c8?dmode=source&hl=en
http://groups.google.com/group/rec . woodworking/msg/616670d966dbda69?dmode=source&hl=en
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys . tandem/msg/0e60710aeaa1ced7?dmode=source&hl=en
http://groups.google.com/group/rec . woodworking/msg/93505a7426ceeeca?dmode=source&hl=en
http://groups.google.com/group/rec . woodworking/msg/4dd3d93c2a99363f?dmode=source&hl=en
http://groups.google.com/group/rec . woodworking/msg/4d19d63167efa729?dmode=source&hl=en
My turn: cite one, please.

Yes, you certainly have -- but you have no idea what error you've made.

And likewise yourself.

What on earth are you talking about?

--
Regards,
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Dec 18, 1:50 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Somebody stop me... how am I supposed to leave a line like that alone? My 'own' cluelessness? As opposed to whose? Relax already, if you tell me that a Cray never does any rounding, banker's or otherwise, because it makes no difference, fine. I have learned something. No Cray, ever, has made a financial calculation. See? Feel better already?

Holy cow, Doug! (Didn't read any of them, maybe later.)

This thread right here. I thought everybody in here had a sense of humour. I was wrong. Cite one post where you make a funny.
(Sorry, but I can't invest too much time in this newsgroup, there's money to be made and my self-imposed coffee break is over.)
r
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No, Rob, I'm not going to tell you that. I will tell you, though, that they typically are used for scientific applications where high-speed, high-volume parallel floating-point calculations are needed. Weather forecasting is one example.
It would be rare to use a Cray, or any supercomputer, for any sort of business or financial application of any significance, because machines much better suited to those tasks can be had at a small fraction of the price.
For your edification, here's a description of how rounding works in the Cobol programming language (historically the most widely used language for financial apps):
"If the ROUNDED phrase is specified in an arithmetic operation, the absolute value of the resultant identifier is increased by one whenever the most significant digit of the excess portion of the result is greater than or equal to 5. The excess portion is then truncated." http://docs.hp.com/en/426/31500-90013.pdf (page 275)
I suspect strongly that if any other method of rounding were more accurate, the banking and insurance industries would have had a strong financial interest in seeing that method adopted instead.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Dec 18, 4:01 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:
News: There was a gas station attendant (IIRC) who rounded 10.2 to 11. Not news: That was wrong. Rob's version: He may have been applying another rounding technique.
Only ONE person decided to take issue with the set-up of the joke.
Guess who? Guess why?
I'll go visit my buddies at Fark.com now... get my head readjusted to normalcy. Today's topic: Former CEO of Xerox dies Former CEO of Xerox dies Former CEO of Xerox dies Former CEO of Xerox dies Former CEO of Xerox dies
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Ohhhhhhhhh, I get it now -- it was a joke all along, and you're Trent Sauder pretending to be Robatoy.
Boy, you really got me there, Trent.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Dec 18, 6:37 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Ohhhkay....
*rolls eyes*
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Perhaps you should re-read the entire thread -- and see which one of us became disrespectful first:
You.
You went through a similar episode a month or so, when you were very profane and abusive to several people who in no way invited the abuse you dumped on them. I can only conclude that there are some unresolved issues in your personal life bleeding over into this ng, and I hope things get better for you. Soon. You used to be a valuable contributor to this group.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4
10.5 10.6 10.7 10.8 10.9 11.0
Do you see anything odd here? The first series round down to 10 and occurs 5 times in the sequence from 10 to 11. The second series round up to 11 and occurs 6 times in the sequence from 10 to 11.
When the rounding up procedure happens 10% more often than the rounding down procedure, what do you think the result will be if you have a Cray XP transact 1 trillion times an interest calculation. We're talking billions of dollars. Which is why they don't use that rounding procedure. They round even numbers down, and odd numbers up (or the other way around, I forgot), That way the occurance is balanced over large numbers of transactions.
IOW 10.2 could be 11?
r
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4
10.5 10.6 10.7 10.8 10.9 11.0
Do you see anything odd here? The first series round down to 10 and occurs 5 times in the sequence from 10 to 11. The second series round up to 11 and occurs 6 times in the sequence from 10 to 11.
When the rounding up procedure happens 10% more often than the rounding down procedure, what do you think the result will be if you have a Cray XP transact 1 trillion times an interest calculation. We're talking billions of dollars. Which is why they don't use that rounding procedure. They round even numbers down, and odd numbers up (or the other way around, I forgot), That way the occurance is balanced over large numbers of transactions.
IOW 10.2 could be 11?
r
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4
10.5 10.6 10.7 10.8 10.9 11.0
Do you see anything odd here? The first series round down to 10 and occurs 5 times in the sequence from 10 to 11. The second series round up to 11 and occurs 6 times in the sequence from 10 to 11.
When the rounding up procedure happens 10% more often than the rounding down procedure, what do you think the result will be if you have a Cray XP transact 1 trillion times an interest calculation. We're talking billions of dollars. Which is why they don't use that rounding procedure. They round even numbers down, and odd numbers up (or the other way around, I forgot), That way the occurance is balanced over large numbers of transactions.
IOW 10.2 could be 11?
r
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
If she walked into your lumber store and asked for some 1 1/2 by 3 1/2 boards, and you insisted that you only stocked 2 x 4's, we'd be reading about that in her newsgroup.
Maybe she's not a professional glazier, but was aware of what industry-standard glass she could sell.
Leon wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The very next thing is to explain to the customer of how sizing worked. I had basically tapped her for all she was worth. She simply refused to accept that she was wrong or it was more like the case of She did not know enough to know that she did not know.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.