glass door for kitchen cabinet

I'm building a kitchen cabinet for my sister. She wants a single glass door. With a 2.5" frame the glass will be ~14 x 35". My initial thought is that size of glass will be fairly heavy and that 2 doors would be better. Espically when all the (ab)use a kitchen cabinet door takes over the years. Any thoughts? Maybe a 3 or 3.5" frame would be better if a single door is the way to go. I've done plenty of cabinets and doors -- just none with glass.
On 9/3/2014 10:06 PM, yes wrote:

Mayhaps Shakespeare, the Bard, said it best... "Much ado, about nothing..."
In our kitchen we have a single cabinet with a glass door. (accent piece in the corner)
31" x 11.5" glass inset on a 2 3/8 rail/stile door. Three regular hinges. Going on 11 years new and nary a problem.
"yes" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------ Talk to your glass supplier for a specific glass type recommendation.
Once that's done, the rest of the job is in your wheelhouse.
Have fun.
Lew
On Wednesday, September 3, 2014 11:25:29 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Agree. The glass they recommend probably won't weigh more than a wood panel that would be in the door if it wasn't glass.
Robert

My pantry glass was much heavier than the panel, 3/16" Flemish glass. ;~) BUT the method of attachment will be the key to strength. Attached with adhesive and the glass adds strength. Floating and the glass is dead weight. The real factor is to use enough hinges to handle the weight if the door ends up heavier.
On 09/03/2014 08:25 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Just make sure you have an easy way to replace the glass should it get broken down the line...
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
On 9/4/2014 12:43 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:

That is what your glass company is for. Let them put it in and replace it should it ever break. It's what they do. ;~)
On 9/3/2014 10:06 PM, yes wrote:

Built properly 2" rails and stiles are more than adequate. I build my doors with a rabbet recess on the back side and my glass guy uses a clear silicone based adhesive to attach the glass from the back side in side that rabbet. The glass in the link below is Flemmish style and is thicker than normal, 3/16" thick. If the glass is attached with an adhesive the glass adds strength to the door frame. Our pantry cabinet doors are 18" x 32". I would suggest using at least 3 hinges to handle the added weight if the hinges are not strong to begin with. I used Blum Euro style hinges and 2 was plenty. The pantry is 8' x 8'.
Here is the pantry and the back side of the door.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485169773/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485170125/in/photostream/
Another sample with larger doors and thinner glass
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/7096671845/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6950596744/in/photostream/