Getting the Craftsman Compucarve thingie for Christmas anyone using it out there?

Page 2 of 2
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

Having spent a few years doing bearing research as well as specifing bearings for both automotive as well as machine tool applications, gives me a little perspecyive ao the subject of bearings.
Any supplier who tried to pass off the above, would have been placed on the unapproved list.
Precision and long life are not mutually exclusive terms in the bearing industry.
Lew

I'd have to agree about the bearings, I guess the first thing I'll do is take it apart;-)

sawzdust wrote:

The manufacturer admits that some machines got out without proper lubrication on the flex shaft--if that's the case, they may have gotten out without proper lubrication elsewhere, so it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to lube everything that needs lube just on general principle.

--John
I am just recalling my conversation with the product manager and posed with the direct question about cycle life he did say some bearings probably only had a life of 2,000 hours. He did kind of think about it for a moment but seemed genuine in his response. He also did mention it was in the movement system. I was just speculating on the reasons. I still feel this was a reasonable life time before you'd need some maintenance and repair. If in production I'd hope to generate at least $10 of profit an hour off of the unit... again, just wild-eyed speculation.
That's what's great about these forums. You can just spout your opinion like you actually know what you are talking about and when you get called on the carpet by someone who really does know their shit, it's not so embarrasing to admit your limitations.
All that said, I still hope to own one of these babies eventually.
BW

I'll examine the parts lists and see what makes this thing tick and get back to you.... I'd have to say worm gear for precise movement, but I'll find out!

Sawdust,
I dont have one yet but have been drooling over it<g>. Here are some links that I have collected:
http://www.allcw.com /
http://www.carveright.com/software.html
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number (57658&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=4&vc=1
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number '91704&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o May be of some help.