Getting Old

Hi Greg,
It's primarily a matter of what you are used to. Since you obviously weren't used to bending over to work near the ground, I would guess you don't do a lot of it. As others have mentioned, there are a number of exercises you can do to improve your overall condition, and if you are going to do more low level work, you should concentrate on lower trunk strength and flexibility.
I will be 54 in a few weeks, and some days I just can't keep up with the grandchildren. But even when I just do some basic calisthentics on a regular basis, I feel much better and last longer. If my son ever returns the treadmill, I might even start to lose some of the extra weight I have put on in the past year.
Keep stretching,
Bob McConnell N2SPP
Bob McConnell wrote:

Speaking of which, I did good today. :) Instead of pizza, I had two slices of bread, four carrots, an orange, an apple, and a couple handfuls of assorted nuts.
I like all that stuff. We keep it around. I should eat it more often. It's amazing how few times I'll take a piece of fruit or a carrot out of that drawer and grab a Dr. Pepper and a bag of Doritos instead. Half the fruit ends up getting thrown away uneaten.
No wonder I look like Hank Hill.
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 01:16:23 -0500, Silvan

A single handful of nuts = 3,000ish calories, so don't fool yourself into thinking you did well, dude. That processed bread probably wan't too good for you, either. Try a better balanced salad next time and forgo the extra carbs.
My sister is helping me to start eating more "live" foods and I feel a lot better for it.
-------------------------------------------- Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels. http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================
Larry Jaques wrote:

Nah, you're full of shit on that score Monsieur Jacques. STFW and see how many calories and stuff hazle nuts, pecans, almonds and walnuts have.
The highest is 200 calories per 1/4 cup. I can get maybe half a cup of nuts in my hand, tops. That's only 400 calories. So nyah!
Very little saturated fat too.
I should stock up on these things if they're still available. They're probably not though. Nuts are a limited window thing.

Salad... Well, by the time I pick out all the stuff I won't eat from a salad, I'm left with carrots, so what's the point? (I like cucumber too, but if I eat one slice of cucumber, I blow noxious fumes out both ends for six hours.)
Vegetables are a real problem for me. Their taste ranges from unappealing (lettuce, which tastes like dirty paper covered with ear wax) to foul (bell peppers and broccoli, which taste like hearing aid batteries covered with ear wax) to poisonous (onions, which taste like spit it out spit it out spit it out).
Even carrots frequently taste like ear wax. Finding good carrots is difficult, since they all look the same on the outside. Baby carrots are a safer bet than full-grown carrots.
Anyway, I'd probably be dead without fruit. I can eat almost everything, though I mostly limit myself to granny smith apples and seedless white grapes.
As far as bread, anybody telling me not to eat bread is barking up the wrong tree. At least this bread wasn't dripping with melted cheese and orange grease.

Hey, you can top everything with shellac too. That's the live food that's a beverage too.
JOAT writes:

Reminds me of many years ago, old carpenter I worked for. By old, I was about 18, maybe 19, he was 70 or spitting at it. I tried keeping up with him, but there was simply no way I could put a bundle of shingles on each shoulder and RUN up a 40' ladder (unless only one section was used: then I had a shot at it). He was driving nails in 2x6 collar ties in a barn we built with one tap to set and aim and one blow after. Took me a bit to realize he was not using a 16 ounce hammer, though. Ah, the joys of youth.
I never considered how ol' Arthur ran in our family, so I did lots of things like jumping a motorcycle (we wan't talk about getting spit off from time to time, because that wasn't usually a problem unless I high-sided and the bike rolled over me. That tended to smart). Now, both knees are total wrecks even after 1 surgery on the left, 2 on the right.
Ah well. It would have been less fun without the excesses.
Charlie Self If God had wanted me to touch my toes he would have put them higher on my body.
Charlie Self wrote:

I can do that. I put down new sub floor with 2" ring shank nails. Drove a couple thousand of them. I got good at that trick. Aim is everything.
I finally caved in and bought a bigger hammer though. A 22-oz. Estwing I think. (Estwing for sure. 22-oz. maybe not.)
Back in the mid-70's I was working in Thailand, when the site I was at was being shut down. All of us, no matter what our normal job was, were put to work crateing everthing up.
Seems that IIRC, the plywood was mahogny, and the 2x4's etc were something called ironwood.
non of us americans could drive a nail through that ironwood without using piolt holes, lubrication, etc, . Typically, we would try a standard framing type hammer, and the nails would just bend right over.
Typically american solution, get a bigger hammer. Nope.... same thing.
We had several local Thai carpenters helping us. It was funny to see your average american trying to drive the nails using the biggest hammer he could find with no luck, but then the Thai would walk up (all 4'10" 90lbs of him), pull out his hammer wich seemd to be maybe a 10oz framing type hammer, and tap, tap, tap, the nail was all the way in. No pilot holes, no soaping the nails or anything.
We did happen to notice that althought the Thai's hammer seemd to have a smaller head on it than a standard hammer, the handle was a couple of inches longer.

Timothy Drouillard wrote:

A trick I learned from my uncle is to hold the middle of the nail or spike firmly with a pair of pliers. Helps dampen the flex which leads to bending. I grew up on a ranch & used the technique a lot on corrals, sheds, etc. Even with pilot holes driving spikes into PT posts can be a challenge.
-- Mark
T. wrote:

I used to sling around 275 pound entertainment centers, or carry one on each shoulder. Now I feel like my guts are going to pop when I have to push a 400-pound bunk bed.
I'm probably half your age, and I already feel like crap. Bad knees, bad hip, bad wrists, bad shoulder. Bleah. I wish I thought it would get better, but everybody your age is quick to point out that I ain't seen nothin' yet when it comes to such complaints.
Aging is a raw deal.
T. wrote:

True, but if it weren't for these damned telomeres we wouldn't have to worry about it at all.
Aging is something the body does to itself.

each
<snip>
My knees have been singing the *Rice Krispies* song ever since my mid 20's. Too much of teen years spent tending milking machines on dairy farm.
Growing old is not for sissies!
Nahmie
hey, mine do that all ready, and I'm not even 20 too many bike accidents I guess.

<snip>
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:07:33 -0500 (EST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote:

Probably because of all the unnecessary punishment you gave your body when you were younger.