Getting Old

Page 1 of 3
There used to be a time when I could work hard all day then go out and party. I just finished building a deck, it's only 1.8m x 4m with steps and around 500 ring shank nails, but I feel like a herd of cattle have been over my knees, thighs and lower back. I don't think I could handle even a Tupperware party. Getting older is good in some respects, but not this one, definitely not this one.
Greg
Groggy said:

I feel your pain. I used to work on cars all day, work at an electronics shop at night, then go out partying before going home for 4 hours of sleep. That was then...
I roofed our house last month, and it took two weeks to recover. <g> Not to mention the increase in sleep my body simply demands. And let's not forget the afternoon nap... I have laughed at my friends and their aging complaints, but it's definitely catching up with me.
The Other Greg
Greg G.
I used to work on cars all day, work at an electronics shop at night, then go out partying before going home for 4 hours of sleep.
maybe this is what made you get old? <g>
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 03:15:51 -0500, Greg G. wrote:

While you can't reverse aging, you can surely slow it's effects with exercise. I don't mean training for marathons, either. <G>
A simple routine of walking, cycling, hiking, jogging, _push mowing_ the lawn, anything that you like to do that raises your heart rate and keeps it up there for a bit, done 4 times a week for about 30 minutes can make a huge difference. Add in a 20 minute stretch routine done daily, and the benefits get even better.
In fact a daily stretch would have made a huge difference in the way you felt after the roof job.
I'm only 38, but see the same "old" feelings if I do nothing for a month or so. If I keep up the routine, I feel better than when I was in my early 20's. FWIW, I occasionally bicycle with guys in their late 60's and 70's, they move right along at a good clip. One of the guys _started_ mountain biking at 61! What an inspiration! <G>
Check with you doctor before starting something new, but TRY IT! You can start by using stairs and parking far from the BORG whenever possible.
Barry

I do a light routine at the YMCA 4 nights a week on the Nautilus machines with a little running in between. The best part is the contrast between how you feel in the locker room while you're putting on your shorts after a hard days work and the way you feel in the shower afterward. Once I overdid it on the machine for the back muscles and had terrible spasms for awhile, so I kind of tiptoe around that one, but it seems that no matter how hard you work during the day, that excercise routine is revitalizing.
(OBWW) Boy, did you ever hit the nail on the head! How did such a young puppy like you learn "the trick"? :)
At 60, if I don't walk everyday, I feel 85 ... and 60 is plenty bad enough by itself. It somehow seems the more active you were when younger, the worse it is.
Instead of driving, I walk to the Post Office, 3 mile round trip; the grocery store for small items, 1 mile round trip, and so on ... I have measured 1, 2, and 3 mile routes marked out, depending upon my time and inclination, but never less than a mile, even in bad weather. Besides, if you walk 20 minutes in one direction, you have to walk 20 minutes to get back
Not only does walking cost nothing but shoe leather, the savings in monthly cholesterol and blood pressure medicine can be enormous at the rip-off prices, and leave more for the tool/wood budget.
Just like smoking, you can make it a habit. Do that by forcing yourself to walk everyday for one month, no matter what ... after that it will be harder to break the habit than it is to go ahead and walk.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04.
Swingman wrote:

Another thing, don't be lazy. Instead of driving around the parking lot for 15 minutes to get close to the door, park at the back.
If you shop at any of these modern developments with clusters of strip malls all in a somewhat centralized location, park somewhere in the middle. Walk to K-Mart's hideous bullseye cousin, walk to Home Despot, etc.
SWMBO and I don't agree on this score at all. She'll drive from one store to another, to another, to another, and only go one mile. It's funny when we go out together. The kids and I walk from store to store, while she drives.
Crap, I had no idea my wife was cheating, let alone another husband. Since we share the same wife, can I at least borrow some of your tools?
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Silvan" < snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message
Tim Douglass wrote:

I'll try, but I'm not hopeful. That usenet replay thing seems to miss 70% of the posts people refer me to.
Nope. Couple of chairs, a gumball machine or two...
Sucks that nobody carries binaries groups anymore.
Mike,
A number of us use Teranews (http://www.teranews.com ), and it works well. You need to provide a credit card for ID purposes (no charges) but that's it. I am happy with them after 2 yrs. It doesn't catch everything, but most of it is caught.
Ping me if you need more info.
cheers,
Greg

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 22:31:35 -0500, Silvan

See it here:
http://www.douglassclan.com/Photos/men-v-women.jpg
Hope this helps.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:

LMAO!! I'm printing a dozen copies of this one. :)
Silvan wrote:

I'll do this if I think the stuff in the car is visible & too tempting. Twice stuff has been "liberated." Once was a company parking lot, the other in front of house, and I've no desire for a third.

Who usually gets there first?
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

Well, we try to keep stuff in the trunk. If I had my brand new Unisaw in the back seat, I'd probably drive too. :)

That isn't the point really. She could really stand to get some exercise. She's overweight and severely underactive to the point where it's really starting to worry me.
She's the only friend I have in the world, Mark. What am I going to do without her?
Silvan wrote:

<no bull> My wife of 21 years and I have gone through a rough couple of years. (Having two teenagers in the house pushes things to the limit.)
I suggest you try counseling. We have had many sessions. I didn't do a good job hearing her needs, but when the counselor articulated them it helped. Likewise, SWMBO ignored, trivialized, and stomped all over my input, but when the same things were passed though a neutral 3rd party, they were (eventually) accepted.
Our relationship has grown so that we can discuss "important" things.
Your SWMBO may not be able to hear *from* *you*, "Honey, I'm concerned about your health. I want to have you around for a long time. Please take care of yourself." However, if you say it to a neutral 3rd party in the presence of SWMBO, then he or she says it to SWMBO, it could over time make a difference. It's worked for me, and its worked for my SWMBO.
I have been able to write checks to cover the counseling sessions. Based on what you've written in the wreck, you may not be able to. If that's the case, I'm 99.44% sure there is a clergy-person who would be willing to do a session or two or whatever gratis -- whether or not you're a member of their particular franchise.
For more details / recommendations despamify my email addy. </no bull>
-- Mark
Silvan wrote:

She could have some serious physical problems. Hormone balance, thyroid, etc. Can you get her to see the doctor? This time of year with the days shorter, depression can easily set in also. Worth he trouble of getting it checked out. Ed
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Nothing like that, I don't suspect, but I guess it's a thought that shouldn't be dismissed so easily. Her perpetual state of fatigue and unwillingness to be motivated into doing anything that smacks of exercise really could be due to some malady. (Or she could just have assal couchalitis and chocoholia.)
The day length thing is something I well understand. I suffer from that very seriously. Hits me hard in August because everything is busy busy busy while mentally I'm winding down into a funk. I hate August. I'd like to strike it from the calendar.
Anyway, she definitely isn't affected by the seasons the way I am, so that's out.
Sitting here thinking about it, I guess I'm to blame for some of this. I walk, but she doesn't walk with me. Why? I walk in the woods. The woods are interesting. They're also filled with hills and rocks and bugs and thorns.
I should probably suck it up and start walking with her in the mall or something.
Worth a try. Hell, take her by Sears. Crapsman stuff isn't *that* bad. ;)
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 03:34:03 -0500, Silvan

Or depression? There are lots of posibilities. My wife (mid 50's) was balooning quite badly until she found that she was allergic to wheat and milk. She also got some counselling after we found she was suffering PTSD from the death of her father, 25 years ago. Since then she has been able to get back into her old wardrobe. Of course, she still used it as an excuse to buy a new wardrobe, but that's one of the ways to keep her happy.
You might consider a complete physical checkup, and if the doctor doesn't find anything, a mental health evaluation would be in order.
Bob McConnell N2SPP
Mark Jerde wrote:

Bleah, don't remind me. I'm going to have a pair of those before I know it. My babies are already 10 and 7 respectively. When the hell did that happen?

It's an interesting thought. I can't think out loud about various aspects of my response to this idea without airing a bunch of dirty laundry, but I must admit that as I have sat here and thought about it, we probably really do have some communications issues.
Mom is sort of our go-between, but Mom isn't a detached third party.

May not be able to afford to pay for something? Me? Whatever gave you that idea?
I have $27 right here. Is that enough? :)
(This credit card thing really is kicking our ass. We're supposed to be out this August, but I don't see it happening. I think the five-year estimate was too optimistic. I'm hoping debt-free by 2006 though. Not much longer to endure this self-imposed poverty.)

You should know that bass playing sound guys learn fast. <G>
Barry