getting bigger bits to fit through sub base of Porter Cable

Hi all,
I have a Porter Cable 690 w/ plunger (I'm new to routers by the way)
My problem is that the advertised size of a bit is 2 1/8 in diam. but that the sub-base is limited to about 1 1/8 in.
Do I need the sub-base for normal routing operations, or is it only for template type activities?
Am I doing something wrong with putting my bit into the collet? I've followed the manual (Fairly limited instructions)
I have a round over bit That is about 1 1/2 inches that I want to use, but the only way I can see to use it is to remove the sub-base. Would this be OK, or am I stretching the safety limit a bit?
Also, any resources on beginning routing would be great. I googled for an hour and found nothing relevant.
Thanks
Matt
matt,
have you tried routerforums.com ? it is a great resource for both beginners and pros alike.
Bob

I just plunge them through the base plate slowly. Then I save that base for larger bit work. You can also make your own base plates from acrylic/lexan or you can ping Pat Warner, has other ones for sale.
Dave
That will work and I have done it but it is best to get another base plate with a larger hole. The stock plate has a counterbore for template guides. If you bore it out, you will need to get a new one if/when you use guides. Go here: http://www.patwarner.com/index.html

CW wrote:

CW wrote:

One thing nobodys mentioned. The 690 is has just one speed "fast" and that large bit is not recommended to run at 23,000. nasty things can happen.
Bob making sawdust in Salem Or.

Not the case. He is trying to use a 1.5" router bit, just fine for the 690. Porter Cable says 2.125" is fine in the 690 though I tend to go more with Pat Warner who says 1.625 for this router.

Actually, The model I have is a 690LRVS with variable speed (10,000 - 27,000 RPM) so the bit size should be OK with low RPM's. The manual claims I can use a 3 1/2 in. bit with RPM's less than 13,000, though I'm not inclined to use such a large bit.
So in the end, if I just bore out the existing sub-base all should be good, unless I need to use a template, in which case, I'm in the market for another sub-base?
I think I do need to spend the money on a couple of books, and spend some time practicing with a few blocks of wood.
Thanks for the help
Matt
snipped-for-privacy@kettlewell.net wrote:
> I have a Porter Cable 690 w/ plunger (I'm new to routers by the way) > > My problem is that the advertised size of a bit is 2 1/8 in diam. but > that the sub-base is limited to about 1 1/8 in. > > Do I need the sub-base for normal routing operations, or is it only for > template type activities? > > Am I doing something wrong with putting my bit into the collet? I've > followed the manual (Fairly limited instructions) > > I have a round over bit That is about 1 1/2 inches that I want to use, > but the only way I can see to use it is to remove the sub-base. Would > this be OK, or am I stretching the safety limit a bit?
First things first.
What is the max RPM of that 1-1/2" bit?
My guess is less than the 20,000+ RPM the 690 operates.
As someone else has suggested, you could have a serious problem.
Lew

Matt,
First - go to www.patwarner.com and read. Then put a crowbar to your wallet and purchase a book or two that Pat has written - you will not be sorry. While there look at his sub-bases, his router reviews and other articles that show and tell you more in 30 minutes than probably anyone can.
Bob S.

private goods. PC has similar sub bases, but these may be hard to find.
Yes, you do need a subbase if for no other reason than to protect the wood from the metal base of the router. Jim

snipped-for-privacy@kettlewell.net wrote:

you got the right router to learn on.

making router sub-bases is part of using routers. find a supplier of plastics local to you and check out their cutoff bin. get a few pieces of 1/4" or thicker lexan or acryllic and make a few blank (no center hole) sub-bases. use the factory sub-base to lay out the screw holes. then when you need to mount a new size bit drill the center hole on one of your available blanks just a little undersize, mount the subbase and plunge the bit carefully through it. you now have a zero clearance base for that bit, which gives you maximum support, accuracy and safety when using it.

always use a sub-base when using a router freehand. when using a router in a table, the table *is* the sub-base.

doesn't sound like it...
now, there are bits (like wing cutters) where the larger diameter part starts well clear of the router base. for these, you can use a sub-base with a hole closer to the bit shank diameter, mounting the bit with the motor in the base.

see above.

I'm surprised that google didn't sent you to pat warner.
good luck and have fun...

http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e399&p868
Should have checked router accessories on the Porter Cable web site during that hour <grin>.
Take care,
David.
Porter Cable offers a base with a larger hole and your dealer should have that in stock.
Their miserable flashing web site is broke at the moment and I can not give you the link for the part number.