Getting a Unisaw home

If the Unisaw has wheels, what's wrong with a rope and just pull it behind the truck.

Reply to
Nonny

opalko

Reply to
opalko

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 16:29:02 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@jecarter.us scrawled the following:

I got Dina into and out of my truck with a comealong, a piece of cardboard, and a pair of poly ropes. No big deal. She had casters, so she wheeled right into the shop.

-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Just loop some rope around the saw and hook into the ropes. Or if you are into this kind of thing, you will have some web slings laying around you can use.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Well if you haven't come up with at least 3 plans from this I suggest you might call a piano mover.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

What did the piece of cardboard do?

Reply to
LDosser

The top comes off with 4 bolts and 4 more if you want to take the extensions off first. You can easily move the base (with motor) around strapped to a good 2 wheel dolly.

Getting it into the truck can get a little tricky but if you can get the truck on a sloped drive or even over a curb and use some ramps you should be able to roll it in. You might also want to pop the tailgate off so you don't bend it or break a cable. I will say that I've never asked my Wife to help me move one but I have moved 3 of them always with just me and another guy.

The whole process is quite a bit easier if you can remove the motor but it takes two people to get that motor out and if you haven't done it before it's pretty easy to smash a finger. Motor removal on the later models is a little easier since they aren't quite as large as the old bullet style motors.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

If you're in California, zilok.com rents 3/4 tom pickups with lift for $65/day:

whether they are in your area:
see what a 16 foot moving van with lift costs - probably $35-$45/hour.

John

Reply to
news

I'm talking about WWII military equipment. That's what people who were Seabees during WWII called a "come-a-long". The Maasdam product didn't go on the market until after the war. If you want to see what I'm talking about google "Yale C85".

Reply to
J. Clarke

"Nonny" wrote in news:3kngn.39355$Ee1.25258 @newsfe12.iad:

In some states, you'll have to apply for a license plate.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Reply to
opalko

Reply to
opalko

area:

>>> Otherwise, see what a 16 foot moving van with lift costs - probably >> $35-$45/hour.

More like $50/day, not per hour ... no one could afford that, sheeeeeesh.

Penske has rental places all over MS.

Reply to
Swingman

area:

>>> Otherwise, see what a 16 foot moving van with lift costs - probably >> $35-$45/hour.

Rent or borrow a good refrigerator dolly.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

A typical Unisaw weighs in at 380 lbs, which can be handled fairly easy with hand carts. A furniture mover is also handy if you got one.

I assume you got a pair of decent ramps ???

(1) Remove any side tables. (2) Being Very careful, tilt the saw over on it's side and stand it up top down. Do NOT crush hand wheels doing this step. (3) Hand cart the saw up the ramps and place saw in truck bed upside down.

(4) Tie down saw, and drive slowly home.

(5) Do the reverse when you get home.

Did I mention being careful ???

Reply to
Pat Barber

Not unusual for Unisaws to sustain broken trunions unless handled with kid gloves. Lots of documentation concerning that problem. I personally would absolutely take the motor out so that the trunion only has to supports it's own weight should the saw shift or get bounced a bit. the motor is probably close to 100# so that should help with the lifting.

Reply to
Leon

Maybe you can remove the iron wings? These are heavy by themselves. Be careful to keep track of parts, screws, etc.

Reply to
Phisherman

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 20:01:07 -0800, the infamous "Nonny" scrawled the following:

Eloquidiot. ;)

-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 08:04:48 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

area:

Call any of the appliance outlets which haven't yet gone out of business. They probably have a lift truck and a man hanging around doing nothing and would love to go move a newfangled tablesaur for some fine gent in their town.

Horrifyingly enough, I drove by the last local equipment rental place last week and there was no equipment there, but a large For Rent sign hung on the building. DRAT!