Getting a Unisaw home

Page 2 of 5

Probably the best $50 you'll spend, beats popping your back out.
Mike M
On 2/21/2010 7:25 PM, Mike M wrote:

Yea. You are probably right. Scratch my suggestion!
Harvey
If the Unisaw has wheels, what's wrong with a rope and just pull it behind the truck. <grin>
--
Nonny

In some states, you'll have to apply for a license plate.
Puckdropper

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 20:01:07 -0800, the infamous "Nonny"

Eloquidiot. ;)
-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

Yup, just having a little fun. <grin>
BTW, one of the best investments I ever made was to install a dump kit on my pickup. When installed, it raised the bed 1/8", which wasn't noticable. However, I could hit a button and the bed would tilt 50degrees to dump out rock, wood, debris or dirt when I hauled it. The kit was installed just a MONTH before Hurricane Fan hit Raleigh, and believe me, after hauling over 100 loads of debris and tree trunks to the dump, even Mrs. Nonny thought my investment had paid off.
The other incredibly handy thing I had was a chain hoist in the lower level garage. When bringing home a planer, for instance, I pulled under it, hitched the pallet to the hoist and raised it a couple inches. I then drove the truck out from under it, and lowered the pallet to a plywood, wheeled platform. That rolled right into the shop. Cool, and with no helper needed.
--
Nonny

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 20:25:25 -0800, the infamous "Nonny"

If you were to leave a load of steel in the middle of the road (other than in front of your house) on a snowy night for those bastids who throw snow into your yard every day, would it be fun? I wonder how many cars those guys hit every day. Luckily, we receive hardly a flurry here in SoOr.

I looked into those when I got my truck and found that the Tundra has a custom shaped bed which would prevent the use of a dump bed kit. Interference fits and all that, unless I moved the bed back a couple inches, making the truck look awfully funny. The dump bed setups which fit into the bed are ghastly expensive at $3.5k. I passed on them and bought a $70 Load Handler. I'm going to get a drop-in bedliner next week (ordering this week) and it will make the LH work a lot better pluls make my bed cleanups a whole lot nicer, especially for compost, leaves, or trash.
What did you pay for your kit, or did you build it all yourself?

Yeah, nice going. I finally sold the old truck with the crane installed and bought a fold-up HF 2T shop hoist. That, too, makes lots of things a one-man job. Handy gadgets, they is.
-- "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn
On 02/23/2010 09:03 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

You'd think a dump bed would be something the manufacturers could design right into the truck and offer as a factory option; I'd bet they'd sell a ton of trucks that way.
--
So will there ever be a day, throughout the rest of my life, that I
won't encounter in the written word a case of somebody not understanding

They'd have to work around the fuel filler issue: where do you put it? Other than that, it's terrific.
--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a Republican seating option. These are
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:18:02 -0800, the infamous "Nonny"

Piece of cake. Slotted section in the bed with rubber flaps. Or just a divot in the bedside where the riser tube comes up.
-- "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 09:30:05 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner

They'd run up a lot more liability insurance that way, I'll bet. It's likely the speaking weasels which keep them from doing so.
-- "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

--------------------------------------- Cleveland solved that problem back in '63 after a major snow storm crippled the city for days with what affectionately became known as the "Snow Ordnance".
No Parking on city streets when the snow level exceeds 2".
Lew

Here there is no parking on the streets between 1 AM and (IIRC) 6 AM anytime, ever.. If you DO park on the street in winter and a plow comes by...well...if you're lucky just the mirrors will be gone, if you're unlucky you'll find your car on your lawn. If a snowstorm starts after 1 AM, the local tow-jockeys rush around and tow all kinds of cars to their pounds and the local cops are writing tickets all over the place. Mayhem, I tell ya!
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:09:42 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy

Better you than me. I couldn't live in a place like that. Feh!
-- "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:02:11 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

At 1.95", the entire city just goes home and doesn't come back until Spring Thaw, eh? Works for me.
-- "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

My kit was power up and power down for a Dodge 2500 V-10 4X4. It came from FL and the installed cost in about '95 was $1850. The power down option gives you more control, I felt and the valve only added about $50 to the cost. The only gripe I had was that the bed had to be tilted about 30degrees to clear the cut-off fuel filler spout. The dog hated that. The only change I made in the setup was to move the switch from the dash to the panel behind/to the side of the driver's seat. That way I could stand beside the truck when dumping and maintain a better view. It was very, very handy.

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a Republican seating option. These are
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:17:05 -0800, the infamous "Nonny"

Cool. I like my LoadHandler, too, though it's a lot more work. www.loadhandler.com
-- "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I had one of those a LOVED it. It's certainly a lot less work then shoveling.
I unloaded, easily, over 100 tons with the thing and it was still going. I miss it.... and my truck.
--

-MIKE-

On 02/23/2010 11:00 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

What the... how come I've never seen one of those before? Sheeit, I'm sold!
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 06:54:42 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner

2 Caveats:
1) If you have one of those "lovely" sprayed in bedliners, it won't work as-is. You'll have to get the $lip-$heet they sell.
2) If you have no liner, a second load of gravel will scratch the shit out of your paint. DAMHIKT. (I'm getting a drop in liner. I ran with one for 17 years and it was as good the year I sold the truck as the year I installed it.) I have a rubber mat down now, which I have to remove to use the LoadHandler. A 5x7' poly tarp allows it to slide more easily on the scratched floor of the bed.
The week after I paid $70 for mine at Schucks auto Parts, they went on sale at Bi-Mart for $40. DO look for sales. (eBay is out, too pricy)
If you ever break the right side bracket (heavy load), ask for a left side bracket with bumper strap to replace it. These things are guaranteed and LJ will ship the replacements free (1 experience), so just do it!