Getting a Unisaw home

Page 1 of 5
I'm looking at a Unisaw on CL. I have a Dodge Ram pickup that can handle the load but I have no idea how I’d get the thing into the bed of the truck (just me & wife). The saw is not nearby and a bit of a drive. I don’t have access to a small trailer, although I guess I could rent a U-Haul? Recommendations?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Bring some tools and start dismantling it. I don't have a unisaw, but you could probably google it and get an exploded diagram. On my powermatic, the table comes off easily reducing the weight considerably. Then the motor can be removed, etc. until it becomes manageable. Putting it all back together gives you the opportunity to clean it out well, lube it up and get everything parallel and/or square.
Good luck, and congratulations. Harvey
Add pictures here
βœ–
Will all the disassembled pieces fit in the back of the truck?

Add pictures here
βœ–
Why wouldn't they? Its a pickup, right? Plenty of room.
Harvey

βœ–
eclipsme wrote:

I helped my brother pick up an old lathe once. 900 lbs, 9 foot bed. We just took it apart into manageable pieces, and put it back together later. As Harvey said, it will give you a chance to clean, inspect, and ajust the workings.
Scritch
Add pictures here
βœ–
I'm looking at a Unisaw on CL. I have a Dodge Ram pickup that can handle the load but I have no idea how I’d get the thing into the bed of the truck (just me & wife). The saw is not nearby and a bit of a drive. I don’t have access to a small trailer, although I guess I could rent a U-Haul? Recommendations?
I had the same problem with my 4WD pickup when I bought my unisaw so I rented a uhaul motorcycle trailer. It's very low slung and I easily unloaded the crates & boxes by myself. The guys at Woodcraft loaded them. Art
Add pictures here
βœ–
This is a used saw, so it's already put together.

Add pictures here
βœ–
This is a used saw, so it's already put together.
======================I'd take the top off and lay it upside down in the bed of the truck (with suitable padding of course). If it's still too heavy you can remove the fence rails and even the cast iron wings. All of the above are relatively easy to realign once reattached. The bed of the motorcycle trailer was only about a foot off the ground so loading/unloading the base cabinet should be relatively easy. Art
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 13:08:58 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

If the Unisaw has wheels, how about some 2x8 or 2x12 ramps and a small hand winch attached to the front of the bed?
One person guides the saw on the raps, the other turns the winch Harbor Freight has winches rated for 1000lb for about $25 and 1200lb winches are about $30: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumbere688 1000lb, wire rope
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumbere115 1200lb, strap
A block & tackle also works - 2000lb unit from Northern Tools: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_11839_11839
I've used a block & tackle and 2x8 ramps to get big yard equipment in/out of my truck (42" riding mower, 28" snow blower).
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@jecarter.us wrote:

I'd be really leery of doing this and I'm one who generally smiles at some of the scare-warnings posted here. The unisaw is somewhat top-heavy given the cast iron top and if a portable base has been added, the wheels are going to be small. The chances of things going badly as you pull this up the ramps are going to be rather high.
What others suggested, taking the saw apart is more likely to be successful.

Rob Leatham
βœ–
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 16:29:02 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@jecarter.us scrawled the following:

I got Dina into and out of my truck with a comealong, a piece of cardboard, and a pair of poly ropes. No big deal. She had casters, so she wheeled right into the shop.
-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow
Add pictures here
βœ–

What did the piece of cardboard do?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 21:08:05 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"

She bellyboarded up the tailgate on it.
-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 13:08:58 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

When I got mine, it was used with 50" fence and large Laguna sliding table I was able to pull most of the sliding table off. I had a flatbed trailer with about 12-14" to the deck. We used ramps, it had the mobile base, but it was a bitch with 3 men. Only took two going down hill. If you had long ramps you might be able to rig a come along in your pick up and slide it up. Theres not a lot of good places to grab on to and you don't really want to be excessively rough with it. It would be great if you could borrow a couple of those long roller sections for unloading trucks.
Mike M
Add pictures here
βœ–

1. Rent a pickup with a Tommy-lift gate for the day. 2. If it doesn't have a mobile base, buy, or rig one.
AAMOF, mine was delivered new, fully assembled and the guy had it off the pickup equipped with the lift, and at the shop door before I got it unlocked.
Mine has a mobile base, and 52" fence and extension table.
I've moved it twice in the two years, fully assembled, by renting a truck with a Tommy Lift on the back ... $50/day and $5 worth of fuel.
A second person comes in handy to operate the lift while the other person just steadies it on the lift on the trip up. Even easier if it is only the cabinet saw itself, without the extension table.
If it has an extension table and mobile base, simply let the extension table dangle off the back of the Tommy-lift, with the cabinet assembly on the lift itself, and steady the extension table on the short trip up, then roll into the bed.
Three moves in 8 years and it stayed dead on in spec all three times.
You will not believe how much easier and less time consuming that is than dis-assembly, re-assembly, followed by the long, tedious setup process ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Swingman" wrote:

----------------------------------- Add to the above one or two "Come-A-Long"(s) for lifting and moving heavy and/or bulky items around the shop.
Less than $30 for the original at Home Depot.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 2/21/2010 7:05 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Huh? When did Home Depot start selling "original" Come-A-longs? My Dad had an original--it used a piece of chain that looked like it belonged on Godzilla's motorcycle. Lightweight it wasn't, but we never found anything that it wouldn't move.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"J. Clarke" wrote:

------------------------------------ Last time I checked, Home Depot still sold the "Come-A-Long" manufactured by an outfit in Hollywood, CA.
Not sure if they had patent protection on the design or copyright protection of the name.
BTW, strictly a cable design, no chain involved.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–
The ramp (10' scaffold boards) and wench/come-a-long idea is the best. I've often handled heavy awkward loads as that by myself. Lay the saw on its top onto a larger size piece of ply. Use 2 at a time of three 3/4" pipes (PVC will work) under the ply for rollers. Wenching it up the ramp will be a snap. Remove it from the truck in reverse loading order.
Sonny
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 2/21/2010 9:44 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I'm talking about WWII military equipment. That's what people who were Seabees during WWII called a "come-a-long". The Maasdam product didn't go on the market until after the war. If you want to see what I'm talking about google "Yale C85".
Add pictures here
βœ–