Get Good Electrical Advice

I'm with Robatoy on this one. I've watched his recent thread and enjoyed the great humor.
In my humble opinion, as wRECers, we should *not* be giving out electrical advice. This is not a moderated forum, and although many give out perfectly code-compliant answers, just as many give out answers that are apt to kill people or burn down the house.
Although I am capable of giving a code-compliant answer for most electrical questions that come up here, I will no longer do so. I will instead begin promoting two moderated forums :
http://www.selfhelpforums.com /­forumdisplay.php?f=12
and
http://forum.doityourself.com /­forumdisplay.php?f=9&page=1&so­rt=lastpo...
These forums are moderated by rock-solid electrical professionals, so you will always get the right answer.
Having said that, I'll now put on the fire-retardant suit :-)
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

Please reconsider; or at least, every time someone posts an electrical question, direct him to those forums - otherwise, we wind up with the Usenet version of Gresham's Law, with the bad advice driving out the good.
✖
On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:44:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I fully agree - and I think it odd that Gresham's Law was the word of the day on my e-mail.
I strongly encourage anyone considering doing any wiring get a copy of "Wiring Simplified". It is not a complete explanation of everything, but if you read it and understand what it is saying you can do most common wiring tasks safely. If you don't understand it you shouldn't do *any* wiring tasks. I frequently reference it for my own work and for answers on the group. Probably would be good to mention that I am quoting the book when I do, just to add credibility to my answers.
The way to prevent bad advice on usenet is to overwhelm it with correct answers and to bludgeon the wrong answers. Never let a wrong or unsafe answer go unchallenged. I don't do much of that, since I generally avoid all electrical threads unless they deal with something I actually know something about - which is basic house and shop wiring only.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Add pictures here
✖
Good points but also consider that anyone taking advice from a *recreational woodworking newsgroup* should also be aware that the answers they receive may or may not be good or even close to being correct - and why would you ever believe it to begin with? Didn't anyone notice the big sign at the portal when they entered the rec - "Use at your own risk".
So I think it's kinda counterproductive offering or taking advice here (whether you're an expert or not) - it simply can't be trusted (trolls, misunderstandings, irrelevant input, grammar, spelling errors, etc.). Asking where to find valid info is something else - now we can probably help and often do provide references - as you did below.
Offering opinions, experiences and tall stories is about the best it gets here and if anyone believes differently - you're asking for trouble. Good intentions can get people hurt and blindly believing what one reads here can get you killed. So why argue about how many volts/amps it takes to kill you - as you saw recently, lot's of advice and it's validity were challenged.
Bob S.