Geometry question

I want to make a table top with a slight arc along the edge. I know the length of the side (the chord) and I know the height of the arc above the chord. Anyone know the formula to calculate the radius of the circle?

TIA Ron

Reply to
Ron Hock

Norm Abrams

to XL spreadsheet (watch out for line wrap)

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:6GIlO2OZGFMJ:

Ken Vaughn

Man, this web thing takes the joy out of trying to remember old HS geometry!

Anyways, came up with the same thing, R = (x^2 + y^2)/(2*y), where y is half the length of the chord and x is the height above the chord...

i.

Norm Abrams wrote:

Reply to
Iraxl Enb

You think the web's bad? Try AutoCAD. Draw the chord. Draw the height. Draw a 3 point arc. Select the arc and right click properties. Gives you the radius, arc length, etc.

Reply to
Norm Abrams

Let l be the length of the chord h be the chord-arc height

r the radius and d the distance from the centre to the chord

Then r = ( (l^2 / 4) + h^2 ) / 2h

d = ( (l^2 / 4) - h^2 ) / 2h

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That's easy. AutoCAD.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Thanks everyone. You saved me a lot of research time and I never even thought of using AutoCad...

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hock

You could make a string compass and draw that part of the arc on a sheet of cardboard. Go out on the driveway if you need room. Done.

Reply to
Bruce

[top-posting fixed]

I was more thinking along the lines of how, but Bruce's suggestion is a good one.

todd

Reply to
todd

The optimized formula is: chord squared, divided by 8 times the height, then add half the height.

example: chord: 10 height: 2

radius = ((10*10)/(8*2)) + 2/2 radius = (100 / 16) + 1 radius = 6.25 + 1 radius = 7.25

The derivation of the above gets messy.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi