No kidding. General 690 bandsaw for $1200?
Chris

Just glad they ain't local....can't afford any new toys, er ah tools right now
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org

Thanks, for posting I just bought a lathe from them.
..

Which one?
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org

25-200 M1, General Vari-Speed "MAXI-LATHE" . The lathe is $399, but shipping is exorbitant over two hundred bucks and pick up at the terminal! The smaller model 25-100 M1 $199, shipping is five bucks less. I might cancel the order, what do you think?
: 25-200 M1, General Vari-Speed "MAXI-LATHE" . : The lathe is $399, but shipping is exorbitant over two hundred bucks : and pick up at the terminal! The smaller model 25-100 M1 $199, shipping is five : bucks less. I might cancel the order, what do you think?
What's the capacity of the larger one?
The smaller one is (I think) in the same class as the Jet minilathe. The Jet gets great reviews -- it's been out for a while, and typically gets the best-bang prize in published reviews.
For a lot less that the $400 the smaller genertal would cost you, you can get the Jet. Add a decent few chisels, and you're off and running.
    -- Andy Barss
Andrew Barss wrote:

There are a few differences. The main one is the swivel head on the General. As well as outboard ways that are actually long enough to be useful. It has the electronic variable speed, so must be compared to the EVS Jet. And the General is somewhat stouter of construction.
IIRC, the EVS Jet is around $329 and the General is $529. Are the differences listed above worth $200? That's up to each buyer to decide.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

The jet is $299 plus sales tax. The General is $399, plus $250 shipping. Without the shipping it would be a great deal. I am not too sure now, I might cancel the order...

The Jet you are talking about was quietly replaced with a new model, some nice improvments (like indexing)
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org

I believe the capacity is very similar to the jet but much more heavier.

I did try to buy a Jet Mini-Lathe JML-1014VS on Thursday from a woodworking store nearby and the salesman try to pull a fast one on me when I inquired on a Delta Unisaw.

WD wrote:

12" inboard, 19" outboard. The Jet is 10". See:
http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/25200a.html
--
It's turtles, all the way down

CANCEL... ARGHH. I didn't pay that much for a full size lathe, nor anything else. Grizzly wants $43 for their top end mini (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0624)> Plus I just found it for less http://www.woodsmithstore.com/210095.html telling me it was not much of a "deal"
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

No you didn't. What you found was the 25-100, NOT the 25-200.
-- It's turtles, all the way down

Right the 25-100 is $199. But WAIT! Shipping for this lathe is also over two hundred bucks ($5, than the M25-200)! Making a total of more than $400+.
I was told the 25-200 General Vari-Speed max-lathe electronic controller "maybe bad". They will include a new controller from General, and if the installed controller is good, than I keep the new one.
..