General tools.

Page 1 of 2
This headline made my smile big:
Canada's economy is suddenly the envy of the world. Mind the wrap: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100620/ap_on_re_ca/cn_canada_the_ottawa_way
Seems that it would be a keen idea to buy Canadian made General tablesaws, cnc's, many more great 'big iron' tools. Their reputation is second to none and is held in high esteem world-wide. At least you'll know we will be around for a while.
(the usual caveats apply. Happy customer, not directly involved with aforementioned corp.)

I happily dealt with a major Canadian camera supply about 10 yrs ago. Such good service, I decided to patronize them again. To my amazement, they not only discouraged my patronage, but ...at least... gave reasons. Is this a trend?
nb

I have no idea what that is all about. What were those reasons?

I've had companies refer me to competitors before. Lee Valley Tools is a prime example. While it hasn't happened very often because I'm usually satisfied with what I buy from them, I know, and they know, that I'll be back again because of the customer service I get from them.
Even though admittedly, many of their products are more expensive than other tool companies, essentially, the quality of their tools and their customer service is what sets them apart from most. That's what does it for me.

What's the issue with postage up there? I'd like to buy more from Canada but the shipping quoted seems outrageous.
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 21:59:04 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

Can't comment much on Canadian shipping costs. Unfortunately, it's a US vs CA factor where many things in the US are cheaper (and often faster to be delivered in the case of shipping). Guess that's a typical scenario since the US is a good 10X the size of Canada and can bargain bulk prices more effectively.
Take the Festool Domino, vacuum and accessories I plan to purchase soon. There's almost a $500 difference between what it costs in the US and what it costs in Canada. And, Festool in their esteemed wisdom have prohibited any US company from shipping their products up to Canada.

That staunch Festool distribution policy will be relaxed after the 'fringe buyers' component has been saturated. When that will happen is anybody's guess. It is one of the side-effects when you build a product that lacks the built-in planned obsolescence.
Now that I am, for the most part, "sans tools", I find myself taking a hard look at what it is I need, should have, deserve(lol), can't-do- without. Fortunately, I have had the opportunity to have used and owned a bunch of tools, so I am not going into the replacement endeavour blindfolded. To complement the CNC, I will need a way to handle sheet goods, so a track saw is a gimme. No desire for a table saw. A vertical panel saw is an ideal solution, but I am retired, dammit, and that's just too much money.
Now speaking of General tools, I am in need of a drill press. I have owned a big Delta, which I liked, then bought a Ridgid which impressed me to no end. What a bargain for such precision. Then made the mistake of fondling a $ 1600.00 General drill press. Darn near gave me a woodie. Smoooth, quite, fantastic etc. Will I buy one? No frikkin way is it worth $ 1200.00 more than the Ridgid, I mean, I 'get it'. Wonderful tool, just not for me. Although I should have bought one 30+ years ago.
Hand held router replacements? A Colt and a 3.25HP Milwaukee. Period. Jigsaw? Bosch barrel grip. I really liked the Milwaukee (AEG) jigsaw, but I feel comfy with the Bosch. I hung onto my PC 557 cookie cutter and my Kreg. I let go of the Lamello *tear*. I am not buying a planer and jointer again, there are many I can use that odd time I need one. I scratched all plans for a spray booth. I am retired, dammit. Besides, I can rent one. I also have no plans to reinvest in too much sanding equipment; all available at the Topworks shop for me to use.
So many projects, I can't tackle them all. So instead I will take my dog for a walk at the waterfront. Maybe stop by Upside Down Pub and sample a couple of draughts.
"Robatoy" wrote
--
"sans tools", eh? Sounds serious. Sounds like you are experiencing TDS,
Tool Deficiency Syndrome. Repeat after me, "I need more tools. I need more

Oh I need tools alright *panting, tongue hanging out* I just don't want to have too many and I won't do anything for money anymore..... just signs maybe.

I do not want to make stuff for people anymore. No more deadlines, no more paperwork..done..DONE, I said...

http://www.general.ca/images/frontpage/flyers/flyer2010US.pdf
Page 11..oops $ 1850 smackeroonies.

I'm in Sarnia. Same latitude as Rome and San Fransico (approx) Just 2 to 3 months of cold. But I have a couple of friends that have booths. One is big enough to hold a 35' sailboat.
To complement the CNC, I will need a way to handle sheet goods, so a track saw is a gimme. No desire for a table saw. A vertical panel saw is an ideal solution, but I am retired, dammit, and that's just too much money. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Why not build one? Lots of decent plans out there.

Use a Festool Tracksaw as a starting point....mmmmmmm

Use a Festool Tracksaw as a starting point....mmmmmmm
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Yeah, I thought Festool but didn't want to be considered as contributing to the delinquency of a woodworker.
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 18:23:29 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

You just gave yourself another business idea, didn't you? I can see you making up the sign for your new biz, too:
FESTERING PANEL SAWS     Done Dirt Cheap (not)
When I was finishing up a deck last week, I was often thinking how a Festeringtool track saw would have made my life a lot easier. Damn your eyes. I'm enjoying my new Makita BD-141 3AH lithiummed impactor and may jump for their track saw soon, too.
A note about retirement, though. Every retiree I know says they have LESS time to play now that everyone knows they're off work. It seems that family and friends have no qualms about overutilizing ( or even commandeering) your entire set of waking hours once you use the "R" word around them. Caveat Grumpy Old Festerer.
-- Peace of mind is that mental condition in which you have accepted the worst. -- Lin Yutang
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 07:29:52 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

It's not just that. I find I take more time to do *anything* than I did while not working. Something about no pressure :-).

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:37:17 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Lazyarse bastid. ;)
-- Peace of mind is that mental condition in which you have accepted the worst. -- Lin Yutang
Robatoy,
You linked the Yahoo article on Canada's economic condition (which was quite interesting) and then wrote about General Tools.
To the first point, I found this interesting:
"As finance minister, he slashed spending. A weak currency and a booming U.S. economy also helped Martin balance the books. In the 1998 budget the government estimated that about 55 percent of the deficit reduction came from economic growth and 35 percent from spending cuts. "
--
Would we want a weak currency? And what neighbor has a booming
enough economy to help the US? Mexico/Canada? Our GDP is
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 11:32:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I've got one of their variable speed maxi-lathes. A friend has one of their large lathes. Great tools. They had a little problem with the electronic speed control on the maxi-lathe when it first came out, but their service department cheerfully replaced the bad ones with a newer design - works great now.

Woodcraft carries the General line.

Yep, they do. The nearest one to me is closing.
MJ
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 15:40:21 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Where would that be? The one in Mobile was closed when I got there in April. It was still in yellowpages.com, but was missing from their pages when I checked. :-( There are two within a daytrip's radius (though one is usually an overnighter for us). I'd hate for either of them to close. Maybe I need to make more trips and fewer web orders. ;-)

2,900 miles West of NYC. In California.
MJ