general purpose vs. combination blades

I am shopping for a new TS blade, and I am interested in hearing opinions on the relative merits of a "general purpose" blade (typ. 40T ATB) vs. a "combination" blade (typ. 50T 4ATB+R). I have used both, but the brands and sharpness levels varied too much to really make an accurate comparison between the types.
Thanks,
Charlie

It may have more to do with cost of manufacure than performance, but it seems like all the top-rated blades these days are of the GP variety rather than combination. Forrest WW2, top of the line Freuds, Oldham, etc. are all general purpose.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland