Gasoline as finish?

Page 1 of 2
I was cleaning the gas out of the snow blower (I know... should have done it 8 months ago) and couldn't help but wonder if gasoline could be used to finish wood. If it evaporates in a carborator, it leaves deposits that dry to a varnish hard finish, so mightn't that work on wood?
It'd be a little dangerous to be around open flames with the stuff, but then again most finishes are like that. Except for the solvent side not evaporating completely, I don't see why gasoline wouldn't work.
(I'm NOT posting a question to a car group asking if I can run my engine on shellac. :-))
Puckdropper
On 08 Dec 2009 12:44:03 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:>I was cleaning the gas out of the snow blower (I know... should have done

Why would you want to do this? Gasoline has very little in the way of solids, and the smell would be a long term issue.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I'm thinking of taking a piss on my next project to see how that turns out. Probably not that much different than fuming with ammonia, right?
--
Repeat after me:
"I am we Todd it. I am sofa king we Todd it."
Steve Turner wrote:

Eat asparagus first.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

Roger that. :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

And take some videos of this piss finish project.
There is a whole market for this kind of thing. ;)
On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 07:41:08 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner

You can piss on copper for a nice patina, but on wood, it just leaves a horrible odor. If you're a pet owner, you won't notice it, but everyone else who comes into your home will. YMMV.
-- To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive. -- Robert Louis Stevenson
Larry Jaques wrote:

NOW you tell me :-)

So are you saying that if I piss on some wood in my house and get rid of my dog no one will notice? ;~)

Only if you bark loudly when you hear the door bell.
Puckdropper
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 17:10:37 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

Yeah, go ahead and try that Leon. Let us know how you fare.
-- To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive. -- Robert Louis Stevenson

LOL
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in

Oh, I don't want to do this... just wondering if it'd be worth exploring. The responses were bound to be entertaining. Few solids probably means it's better as a solvent than a finish, eh?
Puckdropper
On 08 Dec 2009 20:34:42 GMT, Puckdropper

Wipe it on and light it for a nice charcoal finsih.

AAMOF it is a common "belief" that the rustic furniture from Mexico, the stuff with rusted hardware and hinges that simply hold the door on the cabinet, not allow it to swing with confidence, is treated with used motor oil for that distinct color and aroma. ;~)

I do recall of the above.

Stopped going there when my friends, with family in Mexico, refused to drive across the border. They had family members meet them at the border and take them in from there. Too many policemen were on the take, they wanted to get back home with their vehicle after the visit.
Snip

My sister and BIL ran a furniture store in Denver back in the mid 90's. This Mexican furniture was all the craze up there at the time and they sold it as fast as they could get it. They in fact had several, SEVERAL pieces of the crap in their home. I just shook my head. Their retirement has not been great because of too many decisions like that, I guess.
Snip

Speaking of which.... ;~) Let me ask you a strange question concerning tar..........and when you were a kid.......
Did you ever chew the stuff? Yeah, I did. Before you think to your self, so that is what is wrong with Leon. ;~) I have only recently dared to admit this fact about my youth and it seems that several people that I know most in their 60's also chewed tar when they were kids. ;~)

Leon wrote:

Yeah, I did (76). On a hot day the streets in KC would get a bit soft...dig down to the "clean" stuff, dig out a chunk and chew away. Why? Beats me, must have tasted terrible. The only possible reason I can think of is that there was/is a chewing gum called "Blackjack" which looked like tar...it cost money, street tar didn't.
I also used to chew wheat. It wasn't bad.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
wrote in message

Since we were in the same area (UMKC, Marshall MO) what was the grass stem that kids would slip apart mid stem and chew? I used to call it Crab Grass and what the stem was would correspond to the seed-bearing shoot it sends up every 20 minutes or so it seemed.
--
Nonny

Nonny wrote:

We called it Johnson Grass ... not entirely sure of the spelling.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Brome grass, or Broom grass.
Also Timothy. Timothy was sweeter, particularly if it wasn't too mature.