Garbage for sale at Home Depot

Huh? 1/4 Mexican with a racist attitude nastier than that of either race? (Chicanos in LoCal were not to be messed with, but the Latinos who called themselves American, Hispanic, Mexican, or Mexican/American were all great folks...'cept when they BBQed upwind from me.)

I learned a lot of good Mexican cooking while living in CA and made a chorizo burrito for breakfast the other day. (Like sausage, don't ask what's used to make it. ;)

Ewwwwwww! (While I like sprouts, cilantro is my favorite Mexican spice.)

- - Let Exxon send their own troops -

Comprehensive Website Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I like most foods; however, much as I try, Mexican foods will never make my top 40.

A cuisine built on lard, just doesn't do it for me.

BTW, just to put things in perspective, I consider French, NOT country French, but French to be very much overpriced and under peckered.

I'll take Italian, Chinese, Greek and don't forget that dynamite coon ass cuisine from down Louisiana way.

Lew

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Mmmmmmm. Raisin tamales.

In my youngest days we had a Mexican woman come to our house, in Cottonwood, AZ, once a week to help my Mom with the housework. This lady, Lily, became much more like a third grandmother to my sister, brother and me. She made us raisin tamales as special treats. (Whenever I see a corn husk, the texture and smell bring back those tamales.) Her bean burritos were fantastic - handmade tortillas and home cooked beans.

Lily's retired son lived up here in Oregon and around the early '90s had her moved to a nursing home here to be more close-by. Back around '99, my wife and I made a trip to the home for a visit and to introduce our brand new daughter to Lily - Lily passed away not too long after that. One of these days I've got to try my hand at making Lily's Raisin Tamales for my daughter - maybe create a good memory for her and something she can pass along to her kids.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

I always get a small kick out of the ads that complain about some kind of salsa picante being made in NYC, as if it's not Latino enough. Someone should check out Puerto Rican and Cuban cooking. A Cubano and his girlfriend lived downstairs from me back in the late '60s, and some of the things he cooked would make your eyes water just from the aroma!

Reply to
Charlie Self

Habanero means a chile from Havana. For Cuban food you want to go to Miami; around here ( 30 miles north of NYC ) we get lots of Colombian and Mexican people. I bless them for bringing in low cost high quality produce but watching them work gives me hives.

What is it about Latins that makes safety equipment something for girlie-men? There's a crew of about six guys that's been building a stone wall up my street for the past month or two. They take big honking rocks ( a cubic yard ) and convert them into smaller rocks with a sledge. Then they put up the most beautiful stone wall that I've ever seen. All with no safety glasses. And the lawn guys never wear hearing protection or face shields.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

Why the hell worry when the taxpayers will pay for your medical care at the local emergency room?

Reply to
Swingman

[snip] Hey, it gives you a cold nose, a shiny coat, and a well greased colon. What more do you need? blechhh, jo4hn
Reply to
jo4hn

Don't go there, Swingman. That is an all too common attitude that I see in supposed "Christian values" people. Take the time to become acquainted with some of these "swarthy" folk. You may change your tune. grump, j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Well, sometime I'll tell you some stories of experiences we're having at the local Care Center for them...maybe your tune might change. :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Maybe you don't qualify, but you better fu**ing believe that my tax bill, along with some blood left on foreign shores, damn well allows me to "go there".

Not to mention that I have firsthand experience in the matter ... I PAY the bill!! Just the property taxes on the roof over my family's head would make _you_ a "grump" about the reality of this well documented issue in this border state.

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Because it still hurts? Because you won't be able to work if you're all bandaged up?

I think that it's at least partly the way they learned. Watching my uncles work, when I was a kid, scared the crap out of me. Thoughts on acceptable risk have changed a bit over the years. Ask an old farmer.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

So, if you're a good person, breaking the law is okay? Illegal aliens are just that, law breakers whether they are good people or not.

Reply to
CW

How do any of you happen to know that the "swarthy" workers in question would be availing themselves of tax payer funded health care if they got hurt? Hell, they might even be, gasp, tax payers themselves.

You're not automatically assuming that every "swarthy" worker in the world is working illegally are you?

As for tax bills and bleeding on foreign shores, immigrants bring in more then they take out. The amount of taxes withheld from paychecks that is unclaimed by undocumented workers alone is in the billions, that's money going to the federal government coming from people who will rarely if ever be able to get any of it back. If immigrant workers are a problem, prosecute those who hire them, that should take care of that matter.

We went to "foreign shores" in some cases to give the people who live there a taste of capitalism, surely you don't mean to suggest that all those adventures in foreign lands were simply for our own gain. We've been telling the world for some time now how great it is here in the good ol U.S.A., and now we're shocked to discover that people believed us and want to to live here. Heavens, what are we gonna do when all those Iraqi's we "liberated" want to do the same thing?

Problem with painting with broad brushes is that you even cover up the good parts you meant to leave alone, much like generalised bigotry covers over the simple facts that people are people in the end, and most of em want the same things. A place to live, some food on the table and a feeling of security, blaming immigrants for the current rash of issues facing both border and non-border states is just scapegoating.

John Emmons, happily living in a border state.

Reply to
John Emmons

Hell, I _am_ an old farmer. :)

However, while you do win some ... you lose in the end no matter what.

Read Galsworthy's "Forsyte Saga", if you haven't already. Old Jolyon's tale is as topical today as it was in 1900.

Reply to
Swingman

Sure ... and that's why the federal government (your taxes) recently agreed to pay $1 billion to border states for this very reason?

BTW, it's CNN, far removed from some neo-con website!)

To deny that there is a crisis in this sector of our economy, caused by illegal immigration, is downright foolish and shows total ignorance of reality.

Reply to
Swingman

The company that ran that ad makes its stuff in NJ, really. What a hoot. Get a couple a ropes. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Patriarch wrote: snip

Exactly. When was the last time you saw a kid fall under a disker. Things have changed a lot.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Do you really want to end illegal aliens/cheap labor? Arrest/try/fine those that hire them. Haven't seen any elected official seriously propose that. Or maybe there's another way? GWB gave it some thought (?) a few years ago. Anything happened since? Maybe the vigilance committees are the answer? hoping for some rational ideas, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Menudo. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

IMO, a guest worker program, as instituted in many European countries, is a sensible answer to the dilemma on both sides. I can't imagine why a guest worker would not work better than the chaos we have, however, parity is a bad thing in a two party system ... the slimness of a fluid majority encourages political cowardice and currying of favor with the interest groups that oppose the idea.

Reply to
Swingman