Garbage for sale at Home Depot

Page 6 of 7

Larry Jaques wrote:

I like most foods; however, much as I try, Mexican foods will never make my top 40.
A cuisine built on lard, just doesn't do it for me.
BTW, just to put things in perspective, I consider French, NOT country French, but French to be very much overpriced and under peckered.
I'll take Italian, Chinese, Greek and don't forget that dynamite coon ass cuisine from down Louisiana way.
Lew
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

[snip] Hey, it gives you a cold nose, a shiny coat, and a well greased colon. What more do you need?     blechhh,     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

Menudo. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net

Ah, you've never had a taco de chivo, or lengua burrito, then. Add an agua fresca (horchata (spelling horiblus)). Or Biria de chivo (close enough to a stones album title).
Yum.
Then there is good Thai food (red curry, green curry, yellow curry, pad thai, cachew chicken, honey beef, spring rolls).
Or, as we had today for lunch, Dim Sum. Shu mai, har gow, chicken's feet (delish), turnip cakes with bbq pork bits, bbq pork buns, sticky rice wrapped in lotus leaf, tripe, octopus, sharks-fin dumplings, scallop dumplings und so weiter..
You don't know what your missing!
scott
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:37:29 GMT, the opaque snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) clearly wrote:

Not that most Mexican cooks/restaurants use lard much any more...

Yum. (Brain tacos and tongue burritos.) Just don't tell people what's in 'em.

Chicken green curry is my favorite Thai meal of all time. I even grow my own basil and take baggies full of green leaves into the Thai restaurant, getting all sorts of doubletakes (from the customers, waitresses, AND the cooks), then have them add it to the dish instead of those crappy green pepper slices (Urg.) I once weaved in the door, greens-filled baggie dangling from one hand, all squinty eyed, and with a BIG grin on my face. That went over well, too. The waitress I weaved for had asked me if she could smell it before taking it to the cook last time. <g>

Keep your chicken feet. Ever see/smell what those chicks -stand- in?
--
ALL YOUR FEARS ARE LIES
-----------------------

Given the problems with hydrogenated oils (shortenings) I'd prefer my meals contain lard, butter or olive oil - and that's coming from a now-aware heart patient.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
Scott Lurndal wrote:

And if they are really good, lemon grass soup.

Here in SoCal, good dim sum is fairly easy to find, especially in the Chinese neighborhoods.
Just bring your wallet and plan on spending enough time to enjoy it.
IMHO, when you have good dim sum, who needs greasy Mexican?
Lew

Well, at least with south-of-the border fare you're not hungry an hour after dinner! 'Sides, nothin' goes with a good Marg like... that's right, Mexican food.
(You can take the boy outa the Southwest, but you can't take the Southwest outa the boy.)
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Mmmmmmm. Raisin tamales.
In my youngest days we had a Mexican woman come to our house, in Cottonwood, AZ, once a week to help my Mom with the housework. This lady, Lily, became much more like a third grandmother to my sister, brother and me. She made us raisin tamales as special treats. (Whenever I see a corn husk, the texture and smell bring back those tamales.) Her bean burritos were fantastic - handmade tortillas and home cooked beans.
Lily's retired son lived up here in Oregon and around the early '90s had her moved to a nursing home here to be more close-by. Back around '99, my wife and I made a trip to the home for a visit and to introduce our brand new daughter to Lily - Lily passed away not too long after that. One of these days I've got to try my hand at making Lily's Raisin Tamales for my daughter - maybe create a good memory for her and something she can pass along to her kids.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:57:33 -0700, the opaque Fly-by-Night CC

And if you don't have raisins, find some old rat droppings? (ewwww) Her recipe doesn't sound too enticing to me. Raisins' are sweet, and I don't like sweet foods. That's for dessert, not dinner.

I adore tamales. Chicken or beef, I don't eat pork (by choice) and can no longer eat chiles (dad blasted food allergies.)

If so, do it right. Make traditional beef or chicken tamales, not some newfangled yuppie-mex raisin stuff, eh? ;)
--
ALL YOUR FEARS ARE LIES
-----------------------

Yeah, a 40 year old yuppie recipe! They were desert - remember I was 2 to 5 years old at the time and they were a special treat. I do like shredded beef or chicken but being a traditionalist prefer pork tamales. One or two of those and a chile relleno - oh yeah BABY! Chorizo and eggs is another favorite - get the ol' sinuses moving in the A.M . and nary a problem all day.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in message

There's this little adobe hut with a dirt floor and a "cafe" sign outside in a little crossroads town in Coahuila about 150 miles south of Piedras Negras ....
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

When my sister went to ASU (Tempe, AZ) in '72, her biology class took a look at canned, fully-cooked hams under the microscope. It was fully alive with all sorts of things. Nobody in our family has eaten pork since, with the one exception of the occasional burnt bacon slice.

My caucasian neighbor (Dakota raised) makes a mean relleno and always brings me some when she makes them.
--
ALL YOUR FEARS ARE LIES
-----------------------
jo4hn wrote:

I always get a small kick out of the ads that complain about some kind of salsa picante being made in NYC, as if it's not Latino enough. Someone should check out Puerto Rican and Cuban cooking. A Cubano and his girlfriend lived downstairs from me back in the late '60s, and some of the things he cooked would make your eyes water just from the aroma!

Habanero means a chile from Havana. For Cuban food you want to go to Miami; around here ( 30 miles north of NYC ) we get lots of Colombian and Mexican people. I bless them for bringing in low cost high quality produce but watching them work gives me hives.
What is it about Latins that makes safety equipment something for girlie-men? There's a crew of about six guys that's been building a stone wall up my street for the past month or two. They take big honking rocks ( a cubic yard ) and convert them into smaller rocks with a sledge. Then they put up the most beautiful stone wall that I've ever seen. All with no safety glasses. And the lawn guys never wear hearing protection or face shields.
--
I can find no modern furniture that is as well designed and emotionally
satisfying as that made by the Arts and Crafts movement in the early years
"Ed Clarke" wrote in message

Why the hell worry when the taxpayers will pay for your medical care at the local emergency room?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05
Swingman wrote:

Don't go there, Swingman. That is an all too common attitude that I see in supposed "Christian values" people. Take the time to become acquainted with some of these "swarthy" folk. You may change your tune.     grump,     j4
jo4hn wrote:

Well, sometime I'll tell you some stories of experiences we're having at the local Care Center for them...maybe your tune might change. :(
"jo4hn" wrote in message

safety
shields.
the
Maybe you don't qualify, but you better fu**ing believe that my tax bill, along with some blood left on foreign shores, damn well allows me to "go there".
Not to mention that I have firsthand experience in the matter ... I PAY the bill!! Just the property taxes on the roof over my family's head would make _you_ a "grump" about the reality of this well documented issue in this border state.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

my