Garage Workshop Heating

I am looking to put heat in my garage and really don't have the room in my electrical panel to take up a slot for an electric heater, not to mention the cost to run one, and really don't want to go through the hassle of digging up the yard , not to mention the expense of running a gas line , to install a gas heater. I was wondering anyone's opinion on installing a wood burning stove. Although I guess a wood burning stove would use electricity also, but would probably be less expensive to run. Any suggestions? Thank You Rich Petruso

Reply to
Richard J Petruso

you make mistake using wood stove you go BOOOOOM..

Reply to
fsteddie

Solid fuel stoves in an attached garage are against the national fire code. You are probably OK with detached, but check.

Wood burning stoves may or may not use electricity. Mine does not.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Other alternatives are:

1) Propane catalytic heater: Advantage - no open flame and good radiant heat. Disadvantage - pretty darned expensive to run.

2) Kerosene heater (standard flame or "jet engine" type): Advantage - fuel is more economical than propane. A 20,000 to 24,000 btu heater will do a good job in 500-700 square foot garage. Disadvantage - Open flame and all the cautions that go with it.

3) Ceramic Heater(s). Advantage - Lower current draw than the open coil space heaters. Fairly economic to run. Disadvantage - Fairly limited in output but do put out a surprising amout of heat.

I have been using a combination of 2 and 3 for years. On non-frigid days I can usually fire up the kero heater and our small ceramic cube to get the

630 sq ft garage to comfort level and turn off the kerosene heater. Frigid days (20 degrees or below and wind). I run both. Obviously the open flame requires some precautions.

- No gasoline in the garage - including the cars (they go outside)

- Heater is separated from the woodworking by about a stall width

- Keep the heater clean

- Turn the heater off several minutes before you open any solvent or flammable finish cans.

- Keep the sawdust cleaned up and away from the heater.

If you have no heat source you might give gas more thought. You can often pick up a recycled residential force air furnace for very little money ($25-$100). If you space it off of the floor a foot or two you can overcome a lot of the flame concerns. A residential furnace will heat up a 600 - 800 square foot garage space in minutes. A cousin just did this and it is great!

Reply to
RonB

Look into the use of a pellet stove, it is efficient and self feeding. It does use a little electricity but burns very clean with about no emmisions. Some have powered exhausts, some have no venting. can heat up to 2500 sq feet.

Reply to
Donald Guzzetta

I don't understand this. Watts is watts and electric heat is 100% efficient. What makes the ceramic heaters allegedly better than an open coil types? What am I missing?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Rich, I heat mine with propane. Direct vent, works with no power, just has a tank out back. My shop is about 16x24. I thought about going the wood route, but then called my insurance company, and they wouldn't insure the garage if it had wood heat for some reason. My house is OK, but not the shop. Go figure. Maybe they assume fumes, sawdust etc. Anyway, I'd check with your insurance company before you go thru the expense of a wood stove. If it burns to the ground, you might get nothing. On the plus side, you have a place to put mistakes.

Reply to
mark

RonB,

Where did your cousin pick up the furnace? Is there any consistent resource for this type of thing? Sounds like a great option.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
77clearly

I too am interested on where he picked up the furnace. My garage does have gas already (+H2O) so I am interested in my best options.

Reply to
The Jolly Mon

I did heat my shop with a wood stove at first...BUT it just scared me to no end ... always afraid to leave the shop at night with a fire still going.... Only good thing I recall about using it was that it made quick work of scrap hardwood ... Went out and purchased a propane heater about 20 years ago and run if off of a couple of 100 pound tanks ...use one tank, keep one full tank in reserve... worked out pretty well...as long as I kept a spare tank full. Running a line (10 foot) only involved drilling a hole in the shops wall ....no big deal... tanks are kept outside naturally.

BUT Propane is NOT cheap ... I have a total electric home and ELECTRIC is not cheap either... lol

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Makes you wonder how woodworking shops have been heated for hundreds and hundreds of years with wood doesn't it? On second thought, I'm sure you've never wondered.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Used furnaces are all over the place. I have a couple horizontal propane furnaces that I am trying to get rid of. They both worked when they came out, but I was figuring on one for working, and one for parts. I never did hook them up, because I figured forced hot air would be a sawdust problem. They're still upstairs over my shop sitting there. Any takers? Saratoga NY area....

Reply to
mark

fsteddie did say:

Yeah, right. My fireplace explodes violently several times each winter...

Reply to
WoodMangler

Forced air heat is not a problem for wood shops. Put good air filters on them and change when dirty. End of problem! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Wood may be a code and/or insurance problem. If you have gas or propane the best bet is a ceiling hung unit heater. Reznor is a popular brand, Modine makes a Hot Dawg that is popular too. Either one is realitvely easy to install if you are handy with tools. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Easy to figure.

Start wood stove burning. Load it up so it lasts the day while you work.

OK, done work, stove about out. Pull car into garage. Tank has slight leak. Wood stove has hot embers. B O O O O M ! ! ! !

Insurance company out a lot of money.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

But in most shops, they did not park a pickup truck loaded with 30 gallons of gas in the tank, maybe a 5 gallon tank for the chainsaws or snowmobile in the back.

Interesting you should bring it up. It has been 50 years since we had a fire in our house from gasoline brought into the garage. Less than a gallon that my brother poured out of an outboard motor tank. It has been a long time but I can still recall the mess it made.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I meant not that they would get dirty, but that a blast of hot air coming out of a vent would blow stuff around.

Reply to
mark

Easy to figure.

I suppose....they are separate rooms, with an insulated wall and door between them, but....open flame is bad. Especially if you do anything with lacquer. At least with the propane, I can warm it up nice, then turn off the gas and do my spraying.

Reply to
mark

Not if installed properly. I see alot of shops in the area use either forced air or ceiling hung unit heaters. Both blow air around. Neither are a problem. Greg

Reply to
Greg O