Garage wood storage...

Looking to get a little extra garage space by storing some wood over the garage door, hanging from the joists.

The U-hangers will be made from 1/2" pipe, and they'll each be attached to their own 6 foot 2x4, which will be bolted across several ceiling joists. The joists are also 2x4s; the space above the garage is empty.

Question: Will the ceiling joists be able to handle the weight of such a system, holding maybe 2 full 3/4" plywood sheets and various stock (not too much)?

Anybody have any experience with this?

Reply to
Sammy

You don't say what the span is, but I'd be leery of expecting your tubafour ceiling joists to hold much weight.

Not to mention that wrestling full sheets of ply, of any size, up to overhead storage is not my idea of efficient use of space and energy (mine), even it the rafters would hold them.

My shop (1930"s vintage) is made entirely of 2X4's also, with an 18' span, and other than the odd valuable plank or two stored overhead, and close to the walls where the joists will bear more weight, I long ago discounted the idea of overhead space for lumber storage.

I store most of my wood vertically leaning against one of the tall walls ... generally bought on a project by project basis.

Plywood (mostly offcuts) does better in my shop stacked on edge, also against a wall. I'd rather let the lumber yard store the full size sheets for me and I just pay for 'em when I pick'em up. Full size sheet goods get cut immediately into their component parts.

You have to accept that the inability to store much material is one of the compromises when working in a small, single story shop.

YMMV

Reply to
Swingman

On Sun 26 Oct 2003 11:57:41a, "Swingman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.meganetnews.com:

I just built the roll-around lumber and sheet storage rack from shopnotes #55:

I really like it. Even SWMBO's happy with all those pieces, boards, sheets, and cutoffs all in one place. Since she keeps her car in half the shop when I'm not using it, that was a plus. :-) The footprint is just under 3 feet by 8. Holds a LOT of wood and you can move your whole supply anywhere you want.

It was expensive - 5 sheets of 3/4 ply at 26 bucks a sheet - but it made a big difference and that sucker's gonna be around for years. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the lumber that's longer than 8 feet.

I will definitely agree that those 2x4 joists are not meant to hold much weight without some serious reinforcement.

Dan

Reply to
Dan