Garage vs Basement Shop?

I would make sure you insulate very well for noise. The family may not be so understanding when their favorite show is on. Also look at filtering the ac to your shop so you dont send noise into the rest of the houses electrical system. Doug

Reply to
Doug Schultz

I have both a Delta 3HP shaper and a Unisaw in my basement shop. It cost about $150 each to have a piano moving company bring them down to the basement.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

My previous shop was in a basement, when I moved I set up a shop in a detached garage. My garage shop is heated and has A/C.

I far prefer the detached garage shop because: I can make noise any hour of the day or night without disturbing the family I can paint without vapors reeking through the house and if they bother me, I leave the garage and come into the house Dust, welding vapor, carbon monoxide, etc does not get into the house It is slightly more difficult for the family to interrupt me It is slightly more difficult to shove household surplus into the garage I can listen to any music, any time, at any level I wish I can control moisture better in the above ground garage I can lock myself into the garage when I need to spend quality time with my tools!

Don Dando

woodworking.

Reply to
Don Dando

That is the critical difference for most of us. Mine is not and the extremes are extreme. Even with a portalbe heater, about six weeks in January and February the shop is just closed down.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's why I live in SoCal! Shop open 365. Dave

TeamCasa

How do you cut a straight line when the ground is shaking?

Reply to
Ba r r y

It's funny how before we install a furnace in the garage, the idea almost seems extreme. But... after we install one it seems so natural to just suggest others do the same to deal with the cold. I'm in upstate NY and our winters are both long and cold. I used just about every half baked method of putting a little heat in the garage before I came on a 140K BTU forced air furnace for free and installed it. What a pain it was with all those other attempts at heating. What a pleasure it is now - just turn up the thermostat. It's really not all that expensive to run either.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I've had a basement workshop. And, especially with taller basement walls, it has quite a bit to offer. However, one problem eventually forced me out of it. SWMBO just couldn't/wouldn't tolerate the various smells and odors that waffled through the entire house, during any finishing process.

James...

Reply to
Amused

Likewise, before I built my garage, I had a corner of the basement for a shop area. We survived quite well in that confined space, but my son and I both joke now about the contortions we had to go through to really do anything. Our space was really quite small, all things considered.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

There is nothing that would convince me to live in the PRC.

Reply to
CW

Yup, same here. My shop is always open and it's rare when I have to run either the A/C or heating in the shop.

That's why you live in places with decent climates!

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Everybody's entitled to his own opinions. Nobody's entitled to his own set of facts, though, and the idea that humidity is a worse problem in a basement than a garage is, as I said, utter nonsense.

Reply to
Doug Miller

How about when the relative humidity is reasonably low (say under 60%), but the water table is high and the basement walls and floor are not

100% vapor resistant. THEN, which area will have the higher humidity level; the garage, or the basement?

Dave

Reply to
David

Put a dehumidifier in your basement then----problem solved.

Reply to
Dave

I have a basement shop, I think its about 12x20. It's a little small, but I can rip a sheet of plywood with no problem. The best thing about it is heat in winter and cool in summer ,as I have ducts run through entire basement. AC keeps air cool and dry. I have never had any problems with rust. I live in Ohio and summers are usually very humid. I love being able to spend time in shop year round, it's always very comfortable.

Reply to
phatirejunky