Garage Security

Page 2 of 2

Tue, Jan 10, 2006, 7:37am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) doth sayeth: Yabbut, once they're in a shop they generally have all the tools they need to break into/out of Ft Knox. <snip> train whistle loud. <snip>
Oh yeah, I know they could get thru the padlock, but I'd make them work a bit.
Mention of your alarm, reminds me of another little trick. Rig up some aircraft landing lights inside, so they light up, along with the alarm. Heh heh. It's not lethal, but the littls POSs won't be able to see for awhile. Hehehehe
It was a sad day when politicians stopped people from using set-guns against criminals.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax
"J T" wrote in message

I started to say/type the same thing, but chickened out at the final mouse click ... thanks! ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 16:55:53 -0600, Swingman wrote:

It would be a shame if the burglar spilled gasoline all over and then caused a fire. Don't know how much legal trouble you'd get into for storing gasoline in 5 gallon glass jugs.

I had a fire in my garage. I would rather just be robbed.
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:19:40 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Halon in combination with automatically closing windows and doors could achieve the desired effect too. Can you get halon any more?
(Swingman) doth sayeth:

no, and i've heard there are big fines if an existing halon system gets set off.
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 09:47:57 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"

All the good functional stuff is no longer available.
Wed, Jan 11, 2006, 10:32am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@removethiswi.rr.com (GeorgeMax) coldly suggests: Halon in combination with automatically closing windows and doors could achieve the desired effect too. Can you get halon any more?
Doesn't really matter, because setting a trap like that would be illegal, and leave you very open to proscecutation. And, probably get you sued up the wazoo for wrongful death. Among other issues, it would be unselective. Lethal traps are illegal. Traps deliberately causing injury would be also, I believe. With our crooked lawyers and politicians, possibly even causing the doors and windows to secure automatically, trapping someone inside, would be called illegal detention, or some such, and let the criminal(s) go free, and you to jail.
Probably be a better idea to make a big production of everyone leaving, taking all vehicles, and ramain inside, hidden, with a shotgun, waiting for someone to break in. Possibly illegal also, especially if your plan is to deliberately set out to shoot someone, but at least it would be selective - and, no, you probably woud not get away with shooting your mother-in-law by claiming you though she was a burgler.
[...]
Reminds me of something like 35 years ago, when I offered to "house sit" for my first wife's elderly (about t90 then) grandmother who was having problems with her summer home being broken into. Thieves would bust in, trash the place and leave. The only things to steal were books and old--not antique--furniture. Hell, it was an old (1839) farmhouse in the Hudson River Valley, neat place, but not fancy.
I got turned down. I never did figure out if my in-laws were afraid I'd kill a burglar and go to jail or he'd kill me and NOT go to jail.
Thu, Jan 12, 2006, 12:47am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (CharlesSelf) doth sayeth: <snip> I got turned down. I never did figure out if my in-laws were afraid I'd kill a burglar and go to jail or he'd kill me and NOT go to jail.
Well, that's better than if they figured you'd make a bigger mess then the trespassers.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax
(Charles Self) doth sayeth: <snip> I got turned down. I never did figure out if my in-laws were afraid I'd kill a burglar and go to jail or he'd kill me and NOT go to jail.
Well, that's better than if they figured you'd make a bigger mess then the trespassers.
True., but...if I'd sat there all night every night for 10 days or so, with zip happening, and a baseball bat at hand, if one ever showed, I'd probably have been grouchy enough to truly make a mess. But that was a long, long time ago.
Incidentally, that was in Dutchess County, NY, so a ball bat is easier to explain than even a shotgun should something actually happen.
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:55:57 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

I have a switch in the house to close the door (mostly because I don't want to go out there in my PJs when my wife says "you left the door open again") and the garage lighting circuit is still on the house panel. If I can get the door closed before the bad guy gets out and turn off the lights he will kill himself on the junk I have laying around. If he does manage to drag his bloody body out the only other door I will be waiting,
Wed, Jan 11, 2006, 9:36pm snipped-for-privacy@aol.com cheers me up with: I have a switch <snip>
Ha. Now that definitely sounds workable If one "is" trapped, maybe you could toss a flash bang in, just to keep him awake. LMAO Now, does anyone have instructions on mainge flash bangs?
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax
On 8 Jan 2006 03:33:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@boundvortex.com wrote:

You can unplug the door opener. I know someone who attached a wooden stick to the plug to make this convenient. Also, most garage doors have a lock on them. Think about being a burglar and how you would break in to your own garage, then fix these items.
On 8 Jan 2006 03:33:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@boundvortex.com wrote:

If you're not going to park in the garage/shop, disable the remote function and install a key switch... they're cheap and easy to wire... you can also program most openers that use a remote keypad to NOT respond to wireless openers..
IMO, the best protection is neighbors that keep an eye out for each other and a lot of light... I prefer the type of security light that is on "low" setting until motion is sensed, then kicks in "high" for as long as you've got it set for.. nobody who's intentions are bad wants to trigger a light..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Get a new Opener with rolling codes. Videotape or take pictures of all your tools. Catalog it. Check your insurance policy and insure properly. Don't worry.
On 8 Jan 2006 03:33:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@boundvortex.com wrote:

You can make an easy "door open" light for the house by plugging a "wall wart" into a lamp adapter in the opener light and running low voltage wire to the house. I havew one in my bedroom so I won't go to sleep with the garage door open. If someone opens it at night the light will come on. I don't really worry aboout thieves as much as a critter setting up housekeeping in the garage at night but I am out in the stix
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I was kinda hoping that everyone would say that there's nothing to worry about, but it's obvious now that I need to address the issue. I do plan on parking in the garage as well, so some of the solutions aren't available to me. Perhaps I'll build a small addition to the garage that can be locked.
Thank you.