Garage heat

Page 3 of 3
Greg O wrote:

That's quite high (for a closed loop system, anyway)...there was about a $5k premium over a similarly efficient air/air heat pump which can be hidden somewhat if the excating is all done when the house excation is done rather than completely separately last I looked...

A loop system perhaps, but drill a couple wells! Greg
Greg O wrote:

Yes, but the wells aren't a necessity was my point...
Greg O wrote:

I think you have a false impression of the way a groundwater-exchange heat pump works. You don't have to dig wells per se, you just have to bury the heat exchanger deep enough that it's in the ground water. You don't move the water to the heat pump, you move the refrigerant to the water.
Of course if the shallowest ground water is 2000 feet down . . .

--
--John
"J. Clarke" wrote:

In virtually any location it would be cheaper to dig the well... :)
There are <many> variations from fully closed loop in ground, bury the loop in a lake, use one or two wells as source/reject water, simply put the closed lood down a well bore...
I haven't looked recently but when researching prior to installing the one I did, OSU (OK, not OH) had a very comprehensive site supporting their research. TVA did at one time as well, but I think they've sorta' finished the work they were doing...whether the site is still publicly available or not I don't know...

Um, no, I don't have any false impressions! There are many ways to get heat out of the ground!
One of the last ground source heat pump system I helped install had about a dozen heat pumps, ranging in size from around 1-1/2 ton to 20 tons. Water was run through closed loop wells, about twenty of them IIRC. The wells were drilled to aproximatly 100 feet deep.
I set up a couple heat pumps in a home a couple of summers ago where there was a water well drilled, again to about 100 feet deep. It was a "pump and dump" system. All the water that passed through the heat pumps was dumped in the ditch by the house and ran into the wet lands 1/4 mile away.
Before I showed up the company I worked for installed some ground source heat pumps that had a refrigeration loop in the ground. We have not installed any of these in years. They are still avilable, but seem to be pretty troublesome. Pretty much all we see in this area, the water gets brought to the heat pump, whether the water is a closed loop, pump and dump, or two wells, one supply well, and one return well. Greg

In some jurisdictions they are not legal due to enviromental impact. The posibility of raising the ground water tempurature was what was stated in the article I read a few years ago. Cost can be prety high to. I read a while ago that there was a firm a few years ago that would bury lots of copper about 10 ft down. Then just hook that up to the compressor of the heat pump and it worked great. But the repair cost got too high. If something punctured the pipe it was a goner.
John, in MN responds:

Eeeeeeeeeee! Nine below? Just think, I moved down here as a geographic cure for a marriage that had failed, and escaped that kind of weather, too. It did hit five below here...IIRC, in 1985.
Thanks. I'll have the guy who's coming check the settings--and show me how to recheck and reset--and I'll also make sure he gives the whole shooting match a good going over. It has been in just over three years, so I don't foresee big problems for another four or five.
I don't even know if we GOT a manual with this thing. I'll check around the washing machine area (basement appliance manual files).
Charlie Self "It is when power is wedded to chronic fear that it becomes formidable." Eric Hoffer
Thu, Dec 16, 2004, 5:17am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net (Rick) My wife and I bought a house <snip> OK with the idea of building a garage 2x the above size 48'x24' <snip>
Sounds good, but you're using the wrong math. Figure 2X the size as 48"X48".
JOAT Ask any question you please of the Gods. They do not have to answer. - Ko'a Orto'o, Gnomic Utterances, II xvi
Refigure your math.
48x48 would be 4x the 24x24 and 24x48 would be 2x.