Garage Gift Ideas

Page 1 of 2
I never knew my husband had such borderline OCD characteristics until we moved into our dream house. We built a garage with room for him to do his "projects", a name thrown around for all those daydreaming activities you're sure to do upon retirement. While he hasn't stopped working fulltime yet, he has started spending all his weekend time in the garage, organizing and arranging. The funny thing is, I've never seen him happier. I want to get him something for his birthday that he can use in his "shop", but I break into hives when I step foot into Home Depot. He might actually want to build birdhouses and other stuff like that, but I can't see him letting his shop get dirty. Do they make a "wood shavings" scented air freshener I can get him to give others the impression that he does dirty work in there? - Judes
"Judes McCoy" wrote in message

LOL ... it's a mere matter of terminology. If we can call a garage a "shop, rename the kitchen and you can go watch TV while he cleans.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/25/06

Unless you know EXACTLY what he'd like for his shop, then I suggest you get him gift certificates. While he will pretend to like any tool or whatever you get for his shop, truthfully there's a good chance he will be privately disappointed with whatever it is. The only other alternative if he hasn't already done it is introduce him to something like the Lee Valley Tools website where he can set up a wish list of stuff he wants and then you can pick something from there as a gift for him.
http://www.leevalley.com/home/WishList1.aspx?c=1
This oughta get him out the garage for a while:
Sign him up for a woodworking class at your local adult education site, woodworking supplies store (e.g. Woodcraft), or woodworking society.
He'll get to use all sorts of cool tools and he'll get an idea of what type of woodworking he wants to do and the types of tools he'll need.
Watch out - This could get expensive!
Judes McCoy wrote:

Sure. There are lots of pine scented air fresheners on the market. But the aroma of good old fashioned sawdust can not be duplicated.
Max (savoring the smell of fresh cut hickory)
Judes McCoy wrote:

Ever though about renting him out? ;-)
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

The best present my wife could give is to get her stuff out of my garage (G). Finally, she has a separate garage.
-- Oren
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

And the winner is......Oren!

Her's is cluttered like mine - projects, ya know. Her goal is to park the "grocery getter" in her own single garage. Good luck, Honey!
Mine, various garages (over the years) is so cluttered I would describe my path as a cow trail. It is getting thinned out rapidly.
It has been declared: "Out of Bounds" -- Oren
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

No shop is complete without a Frederick's of Hollywood Calendar.
Sun, Dec 31, 2006, 5:39pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@removegte.com (JudesMcCoy) doth sayeth: <snip> I want to get him something for his birthday that he can use in his "shop", but I break into hives when I step foot into Home Depot. <snip>
1. Stay out of Home Depot. Seriously.
2. If he's anything like me, whatever you buy him is gonna be something he don't want. I'd say either give him cash, or a gift certificate from Lowes or some place similar, but not Home Depot, so he can get something he actually wants.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in
*snip*

Besides the color, what's the difference?
Puckdropper

Lowe's actually has decent tools available, and a much better selection.
Puckdropper wrote:

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 12:21:03 -0600, M Berger wrote:

They have different lines, but whether Delta Shopmaster is really more "decent" than Ridgid is debatable. There's certainly nothing at Lowes that is comparable to the Ridgid oscillating belt/spindle sander for example, and the local Home Despot has quite a lot of Hilti in stock--if price is any indicator of performance then they should be in the same league as Festool. Also, they seem to be stocking the full Dremel product line where Lowes has a few models on display but is very short on accessories. Between the two of them they make a pretty decent store.
Personally I don't much like Home Despot--went ten miles out of my way the other day to buy a box of nails at a local hardware store instead of Home Despot--but they do have some decent products in stock and I don't hesitate to buy from them if they have something that is good value or that doesn't have a really good alternative for a reasonable price.
Rather than a store gift certificate one can obtain a Visa Gift Card that is good just about anywhere that credit cards are accepted.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Mon, Jan 1, 2007, 12:21pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@shout.net (MBerger) doth sayeth: Lowe's actually has decent tools available, and a much better selection.
Lowes also has a staff that actually knows something about what they are seling, and are actually helpful. Many years back I needed a well controller. On a Sunday. HD was closer, so my first stop. They had exactly one in stock, and it was NOT what I needed. Lowes not only had about half a dozen versions, and several of each, they had exactly what I needed. You ask where something is at HD and you either get a blank stare, or they send you to something else entirely. Which is just a few reasons I no longer enter HD. Lowes personnel if they don't know, they will hunt down someone who knows, but I've found they usually actually know where whatever is located, but will often take you there, instead of simply telling you where it is. However, my first stop is normally the local Ace hardware, there seems like everyone there, even the girl cashiers, know exactly whee whatever it is you want is located.
JOAT To listen is an effort, and just to hear is no merit. A duck hears also. - Igor Stravinsky
Judes McCoy wrote:

A Marilyn Monroe wall calendar is the perfect addition to any workshop.

So why a need to know the day?
-- Oren
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison
Oren wrote:

There's not. Last year's calendar would be okay.