Gamble house stair plans from FHB any good?

Before I buy this article from FHB, does anybody remember how good this article was. Does the first line start with.... Buy 40K$ of teak.

Arts and Crafts Stair November 1996 An updated and code-compliant interpretation of the classic Greene and Greene Gamble House staircase

Reply to
joe doe

snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (joe doe) wrote in news:53c2eb9f.0401301910.6906cdc6 @posting.google.com:

If I remember correctly, I thought that the changed design had lost most of the beauty of the original. The changes in proportion and layout were major.

Reply to
John Doe

Boy that's putting it mildly. I was too impatient and bought the article yesterday before your reply and I was pretty disapointed with the article. IMHO, I thought it looked really lame. The wide panels really closed up the look. The joinery was not interesting.

Well I got the Makinson book and the G&G Masterworks book coming from Amazon and I got my head gears in motion. I'm seriously thinking about making something like it, metal clamps, the whole nine yards. However, I don't want it to be just a carbon copy. I'd want metalwork on it ...but different. Since I live in NC I'd love to add some kind of Southern element to it. I think I also want to make the balluster/side work more seethru.

Reply to
joe doe