gage block accuracy

Hi Larry,

Perhaps your newsreader didn't pick it up. Alexy beat you to the punch and I already thanked him for the correcti> > >After reading through the replies I thought of a few more things to > >add. > >

Reply to
ejb

Hi bent,

I definitely appreciate several of the links that you have posted. And, I appreciate the idea that fractions and decimals are just different ways to represent the same measures. Many people see a decimal representation like 0.015" and immediately think "that's an absurd tolerance for woodworking" but if they see 1/64" they say "that's appropriate for woodworking". In the angular example cited, I think that everyone will admit that 1/3 of a degree is significant for good joinery but when it's represented in terms of minutes of arc then suddenly people think it's absurd. Your point is well made and the allusion to the body parts of a king drives it all the way home.

I especially like your last point where you demonstrate the joys of doing fractional math. There are times when working in decimals is preferable!

However, I do believe that plastics which come in thicknesses below

0.006" (6 mil) have very practical and valid uses. ;-)

Thanks, Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com

wrote:

Reply to
ejb