Gable Exhaust fan as part of DC

Hello all,

My home shop is in a detached 2-car garage, which currently has ZERO cars in it (minor gloat!), but at most will have just 1 car. Plus, the garage is an extra 6-8ft. deep and wide over a "standard" 2-car.

DC is high on my priority list, and I'm researching that now. BUT in addition, my thinking is that I can *supplement* the cleaning of the air by adding a gable ventilation fan to the garage, e.g. the Broan 353 Gable Fan.

My question: will the life expectancy of these types of fans be seriously shortened in this application? I'm thinking of the (higher than normal) amount of airborne dust that will be passing past the motor.

Any feedback is appreciated.

-Chris

Reply to
TheNewGuy

Jim B.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Thanks for the reply, Jim.

My thought is that the gable fan would obviate the need for an ambient air filter/scrubber. Even with the best collection at the machines I have, from what I've read sofar, there could still be some v.fine dust in the air. In particular: how much sanding do I do, and how well can I collect the sanding dust? Is my DC unit closeted (not planned to be right now)? And I'm still looking for a good way to hookup a chopsaw to the DC to capture max dust.

So, if the gable fan can refresh the air in my shop every... 10-12 minutes? I gotta think that's at least as good a benefit as an ambient air filter. 'Course, in the wintertime... :*)

Anyway, I'm gonna install it also for the heat exhaust reasons it's designed for (Sierra foothills toasty summers); I'll just have to check it now and then to see if it's accumulating much dust.

-Chris

Jim Behn> If you are doing a good job of dust collecting at the source then the

Reply to
TheNewGuy

Jim B.

Reply to