G0555 Bansaw coming...recommendations?

Hey gang, I will be receiving the new Grizz saw soon. I would like to get it setup with a couple nice Twolf blades. Any recommendations for a good all-around blade and one for resawing? I am a total bandsaw noob so I don't know what to look for yet. Does Woodcraft or Rockler carry TWolf blades, and if not, where is a good place online to get them? Thanks for any recommendations. From all I've read, I should be very happy with the saw for the price.
Thanks! Rob
Phone the Suffolk Machinery people directly and tell them what you want to do, they will recommend the proper blade/s. Use them then alter, if needed, to personal taste. I have had great satisfaction with the three blades they recommended, altho just light stuff so far.
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hey gang, I will be receiving the new Grizz saw soon. I would like to get it setup with a couple nice Twolf blades. Any recommendations for a good all-around blade and one for resawing? I am a total bandsaw noob so I don't know what to look for yet. Does Woodcraft or Rockler carry TWolf blades, and if not, where is a good place online to get them? Thanks for any recommendations. From all I've read, I should be very happy with the saw for the price.
Thanks! Rob
Rob wrote:

Call Suffolk for direct to you Twolfs at (800) 234-7297. Tell them your requirments and they do a pretty good job of recommending the proper blade.     mahalo,     jo4hn
I'd also DAGS for Highland harware and look into Woodslicer bands as well.
snipped-for-privacy@attbi.com (Rob) writes:

There is an issue with the name, and who is allowed to use it. I think Woodcraft has them but they are called "PS WOOD"
Also - get the Duginski book on bandsaws, and the free Iturra catalog. You have to call Iturra, but the catalog is awesome! It's a How-to book!
Iturra Design 4636 Fulton Rd Jacksonville, FL 32225 1-888-722-7078
Check out Lee Valley they carry twolf's.
(Rob) writes:

I bought some from Lee Valley. They go under the brand Viking or some other MN sports team. I'm pretty sure its not the Twins or Gophers.
Eric
Ace wrote:

Good people to buy your blades from and they're reasonable price. They're "Viking" blades

Bruce Barnett wrote:

NC store and I'll help you get the right one. :)
Walt

Nah. I'm staying home for Thanksgiving. :-)
The one in Latham NY have blades that are labled:
PS WOOD - From the Creators of Timberwolf
What does the blades say in your store? I'm trying to see if this is a store decision, or a company decision. AFAIK, these are Timberwolf, but without the lable.
During an exchange of E-mails several years ago Art Gschwind (SP?) of Suffolk said "I let PS sell our blades at shows".
On 24 Nov 2004 01:38:26 GMT, Bruce Barnett

Walt Novinger wrote:

Why not go direct to Suffolk at http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/ . Are they not the manufacturer?     j4
(Rob) writes:

I don't think that they are. It is my understanding that Suffolk and PS Wood and a few others buy the same bulk Silicon Steel blade stock from the same Swedish manufacturer. They, in turn, cut to size, weld, package and sell and market the finished, sized blades.
--
Al Reid

How will I know when I get there...

Quite frequently, your local sharpening service will do the same for you. With mine, I get the personal service, no shipping delay and a pretty good price.
Patriarch
snipped-for-privacy@attbi.com (Rob) wrote in message

Hi Rob,
I have the same saw. I like it fine.
A good all-around blade is something along the lines of 3/8" with about 4 tpi. That blade will work fine for most curve cutting and will do a reasonable job of resawing. I used to go to a wider (1/2" 3tpi) blade for resawing; now I don't think it's worth the bother of the blade change. A thinner blade works fine for me resawing veneer down to 1/16".
The tuning on the bandsaw is really more important than the blade you use. Make sure your roller guides and thrust bearing are set right, make sure the blade is centered on the rubber crown on the top wheel, and set the blade tension using the flutter method -- all as described in the manual.
I've mostly used Timberwolf blades (from www.suffolkmachinery.com). The guys there are very helpful; just tell them that you're just starting out and they'll give you recommendations. I've also used Olson blades (cheap and pretty good).
Cheers, Nate
Thanks for all the great info fellas!
n snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Nate Perkins) wrote in message

Take a look at the Fine Wood Working article in the Dec 04 magazine if you want a good article on resawing. The authour uses a 1/2" 3tpi carbon steel blade that is under tentioned. He says that you don't even need a high powered bandsaw. I have a grizzly g0555 14" bandsaw. I tried to resaw with the blade that I had on the machine. It was an old timberwolf. It was tough going(the blade was old and I'm not experienced with bandsaws). I followed his instructions to a tee. I bought two blades form BC Saw ans Tool in Canada (His suggestion). I made some cuts on 5" red oak, 5" white oak and Poplar and it was beautiful. Get the latest FWW. It's great...It's so easy!