FYI Stanley marking gauges #65 NOS

Heck... I ordered mine as my 1st one! It is single pin basic design without a mortice marking capability built in, beech and brass.
http://tinyurl.com/4uwnf
...hope you all like it, Alex
Congradulations...
I keep thinking about buying a marking guage. But then I find it's hard enough to see 2H pencil lead on red oak, let alone trying to see a scribe line, and you can always erase a pencil line. A combination square will perform the same task too. I went with the combo square, since it performs several tasks.
I think a lot will depend on the wood your using. The marking guage will work better on a smooth surface versus a wood with a heavy grain. Then of course your likes and dislikes and how you approach your work will also affect that decision.
If truth be known - for me - doing a layout is fine for the mental process. But if I have to do two of anything, I'll take 30 seconds and set up a guide or stop block. This way I get the same error factor, if there is any error.
PM

Yeah but there is something specifically special about this gauge... it is new old stock from 15 years ago. At this price it is worth buying, considering the materials it is made of. I need it as a learning-starting point, besides.
Alex
I never heard anyone diss a marking gauge before. I'd like to see you mark the edges of a board for hand planing to thickness with a combination square, :-)

I have that gauge. It is an excellent gage.

Is it? Thanks I am glad to hear that! Alex

I just got mine, it is really neat! It is the later triangular kind. The lock screw goes straight into threaded beech itself, awesome wood.
Alex