FYI good deal on a nice bandsaw

Page 1 of 2
was looking at laguna (they finally released the revo 18/36) and I saw they had a great deal on the 14/12 bandsaw for $875
if i had the 875 one dollar bills i would get one of these
http://lagunatools.com
i watched the bat master video just for fun that is the cnc wood lathe
On 7/30/2015 12:01 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

Try to test one before buying. While the ceramic guides on the Laguna are probably the best available they do offer about 3 different lines/quality of machines. I would not be surprised at all of they were built in the same plant that Jet, Grizley, and other tiawanese machines are built. I know how you don't like Jet.
On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 18:22:06 -0500

always good to try before you buy i am not buying one but just passing along that they had 5 for sale at 875
it seems like a good price but if it is a cookie-cutter saw than it may not be a good deal
looks like a nice saw
On 7/30/2015 9:31 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Well that is a good rule of thumb but not always possible. But on the units that are in the store, testing would certainly be part of the process. Now if you are looking for the top end consumer band saws from Laguna you are going to probably have to go to California or a trade show where the bands saws might be on display. I suspect because of the price difference local store simply do not stock those saws. And I find that a bit odd because my local Woodcraft stocks the $5000+ Powermatic and the upper end Lagunas in similar sizes might be a bit less. Maybe the big Powermatics are made in Taiwan vs. the Italian built Lagunas.

Absolutely a good price but aside from the ceramic guides the low end Laguna might be as fussy as the other similar priced saws.
Almost 10 years ago I thought I was upgrading when I bought the 18" Rikon for $999. Unfortunately it was still pretty comparable to my old 10" Craftsman that was 20+ years old. The Rikon got returned almost immediately. It did have more power over the Craftsman but finding blades that would track decently was a crap shoot and then I still had to putz with adjustments to get them "just right" so that they would even cut with any precision. With the Laguna perfect adjustment is not necessary for the saw to perform well. I bought the LT16HD Laguna and the comparison difference is like a bench top table saw to a cabinet saw. With this saw you can't blame the saw. ;~)
On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 08:46:06 -0500

more reason to buy the low-end gives you plausible deniability
oh, that, that was the saw's fault
regarding laguna the new revo looks very nice and has got good reviews interesting about this model is that it has steel bedways instead of cast iron

Yeah!
On 7/30/2015 12:01 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

BTY I did not find the revo 18/36, was that a typo?
On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 09:36:01 -0500

no that is the new one retails $2500
bty by the yukon that is my guess
On 8/1/2015 10:29 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

I looked in the industrial section too. $2500 is approximately what I paid for mine in 2006 IIRC. Now it is about $3600. Yikes

BTY, ;~) My keyboard does not have a "W". Oops!
I don't know why I don't use BTW
On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 12:21:50 -0500

which model is $3600 how do you like it
by the time i squirrel together $2500 maybe there will be some on the used market
although maybe i need to search harder but i see very few used lathes for sale

just poking a little fun
i like by the yukon better
no idea what by the way really means anyway
maybe some elizabethan era thing

A "way" is a road or path. So "by the way" means something which is beside the main path of the conversation.

According to the OED, you're precisely right. They date the expression to 1556.
BTW, one of my pet peeves is people who confuse "way" as in "under way" with weigh as in "weigh anchor". Doesn't annoy me as much as the people who confuse break and brake, tho.
John
On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 18:46:27 +0000 (UTC)

could say by the wayside and then it is more descriptive

easy guess since so many sayings came out of that period

not seeing that much but maybe not looking that hard
On 8/1/2015 12:53 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

LT16HD http://www.lagunatools.com/bandsaws/bandsaw-lt16hd
I love the saw, never a problem with adjustments not holding and adjustments can be relatively vague and it cuts fine. I will warn you however, this saw comes with a 4.5 hp Baldor motor that "you" have to mount, and you will have to add a cord, unless something has changed. It is a 2 person job, mounting the motor, and the motor is very heavy and large. Other than mounting the motor every thing is pretty straight forward. I strongly advise getting the mobility kit, the saw is about 465 lbs.
Making veneer is a simple procedure with the 1.25" Resaw King that Laguna sells.
One other thing, not really a feature of the saw other than the size blade it uses, 150". The longer blades are a snap to fold and unfold compared to shorter ones I have folded. I can fold and unfold bare handed. There is such low tension with it folded that tossing it on the ground to let it spring open does not work. I'm totally in control when unfolding.

On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 14:32:40 -0500

yep as you mentioned before and a nice saw
BTY the revo 18/36 is the new lathe not a bandsaw

that or a hoist a guy put together his big lathe (powermatic i think) with a engine hoist while his wife looked on

you mentioned this before and i saw one in action i never knew it was possible to do the thing that setup can do

that is interesting are you saying it is low tension because of the length of the blade or is it a function of the material
it sounds like it is the material that is different
On 8/1/2015 3:40 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

. I would say because of the length. Any particular blade is a given thickness, the shorter it is the more it has to bend to coil and the more resistant it is to bend. Anyway with my 150" blades it is almost like uncoiling a garden hose, there is no urgency by the blade to uncoil.
On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 16:15:10 -0500

mine are 90 something inches they are like a coiled snake
now all this talk of blades has reminded me that bandsaws used to have a spot welder on them i think
or at least it was common to repair them it seems material science has advanced to a point where the blades are harder to break
i have tested this unwittingly and the blade i have did not break
On 8/1/2015 4:29 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

LOL I remember those days with my old and much smaller Craftsman. Not realizing the longer blades, on the Laguna, have less tension I feared the opposite with the longer blades until I dropped the blade 5~7 times and nothing happened. And then I was really on guard as I opened it with my hands.

Yes, they are welded in one spot, end to end.

I have only had one broken BS blade on the Laguna.... My wife wanted to cut out a complicated pattern that was drawn on "cardboard". Bang! Cardboard are you kidding me? LOL
says...

The welder isn't there to mend an accidentally broken blade, it's there, generally with a cutter as well, to facilitate internal cuts--you break the blade, pass it through a drilled hole in the part, weld it, and then do the cut.
On 8/1/2015 4:50 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

I have never heard of that but it certainly seems reasonable. But all BS blades start out as a very long blade that is not a continuous loop. If they break that can be rewelded/repaired.
@swbelldotnet says...

If you're a woodworker only you probably wouldn't have. That feature is more common on metal-cutting bandsaws.