FYI Dewalt 733 Planer

This may have already been mentioned before, but thought I would let others know! First of all let me say my planer is about 5 years old, but has had very little use, I just got back into woodworking and needed to plane some boards for a friend. I had repacked my planer in its original box took it out and looked it over and started using it. noticed that the hand crank seemed a little tight. I put a few drops of lube on it inspected it to make sure something had not gotten lodged in the lead screws. The more I used it the tighter it became. So this weekend I decided to tear it down and get to the bottom of the problem. Here is what I found, one of the screws holding the locking mech. on one of the post was gone, the sprocket at the other end of the hand crank, the set screws were loose, so what had happened was the head was tilted and binding on the columns. Tightened everything up replaced missing screw and it works like it did when it was new. Also adjusted the in and outfeed tables with just a tiny bit of rise at each end, and there is absolutely no snipe. Hope this helps!!!

Todd Pierce

Reply to
TAP

Todd,

About a year ago I made a post here telling of the very same thing - and sent it to DeWalt informing them of the noted safety defect. They never responded or acknowledged my email. The fix was as you've noted but add some locktite (blue) to insure it doesn't happen again.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.