FWW Interview: Steve Knight, Planemaker

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/32320/interview-with-plane-maker-steve-knight/page/all
shortened: http://fwd4.me/nic
The article which led me to this interview was a review of his kit. http://fwd4.me/nii
Someone here recently mentioned that they thought he outsourced all of his work, but this talks about his CNC machine which he uses to make the plane kits.
Kudos to Steve, an old Wrecker!
-- "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey
On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 05:54:32 -0800, Larry Jaques

I meant to say "a review of a Hock plane kit."
-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/32320/interview-with-plane-maker-steve-knight/page/all
I used to make mouth blocks for him until he changed designs, From what I understand he only sells kets now.

Steve has been showing some pretty cool stuff on CNC sites, like ShopBot and Vectric... That whole CNC thing is a weird trip. I have been making side panels for a company that makes old-style video game consoles. The tall, bar/ pub style. (Of course these have a slide-out keyboard so it is fully net-capable for team play).
And now... now that I have my old company back..........(long story)
"Robatoy" wrote:

------------------------------------ That never stopped you before<G>.
Lew
On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 17:12:55 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

DO go on, sir.
Hmm...gonna sell your CNC setup to me for a song?
-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

Two guys pooled their money and bought my countertop company. I financed the difference between what they paid me up front and what they agreed (legal contract, on paper) to pay me. One of the two buyers, after a mere 6 months, tossed in the towel. His default has left the other fellow holding the whole bag of debt. The remaining player happens to be one hell of a fabricator, straight as an arrow and after 14 years as a missionary in the Venezuelan jungle certainly didn't deserve to be bailed on like that. I put paid to his part of the debt for 1 extra share. I took over the shares from the guy that bailed and will be doing the sales and product development while I run my cnc from the same site. Oh... and I got all my tools back..so I have quite a few Festool doubles...<EG>
There's more to it than this, but this is what's happening in a nutshell.

WOW. That is a big, non digestible nutshell.
My off the cuff remarks are;
1) I told you that you do not retire well. I was right.
2) There are worse things in life than having lots of quality tools around.
3) This missionary guy sounds like an ideal partner. You could do worse.
4) You were getting bored laying around, watching soap operas anyway.
5) You probably do these kinds of things just to entertain us any way. We appreciate it.
I better stop now before I get in trouble. Hope things work out for you.
On Nov 18, 2:40am, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

I wasn't looking for another partnership, but I needed a shop anyway, besides, he'll be doing all the physical work..well...mostly.

As The Stomach Turns you mean? Boring indeed. I already figured out that the butcher's wife's boyfriend knocked up the financier's sister's baby sister.

Shit just happens. Why it happens to me, I dunno. Keeps me occupied at least so I won't get into trouble.

What was that line from The Godfather (I think)..." Every time I tried to leave, they pulled me back in..."
<snip>

Congratulations!!!
--
Best regards
Han

In a way, yes. Thanks!
On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 20:36:53 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

See? That wasn't such a long story. Condolences on the antics of the one partner...and having to suffer the duped Festering.
-- Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Partnerships are hard to maintain. I prefer collaborations on a per- project basis. Sometimes the partners have totally different views on the same issue, throw in a 'I am now Mr.BigShot Business Owner ' ego and a spouse who wants to know "when the big bucks are gonna come" and you've got yourself a problem, especially when the other partner lives by The Book. Angela always maintains that "everything happens for a reason" and even though I lost a significant amount of paper money, I know I can work with this sheep-herder from New Zealand (via Venezuela).