FWW Article: "you can't be serious" abount clamping.

Page 5 of 5
Fri, Oct 12, 2007, 8:24pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@gmail-dot-.com (LRod) doth claimeth:: The "first ones 20 years ago" was from my post. He doesn't know how to set webtv to identify quotes. I've fixed that in this one to what it is supposed to look like. <snip>
Pardon? "I" don't know how to quote? OK, this is your quote of what I wrote when I quoted "you": J T wrote: Tue, Oct 9, 2007, 2:20am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@gmail-dot-.com (LRod) did sayeth: I moved on the instant I saw the glue up with the QuickGrips on it. He asserts you can get greater pressure with them than K-Bodies? Please. I bought my first QuickGrips probably 20 years ago. <snip of the rest>
I quoted "you", who said "you" bought about 20 years ago. Looks clear to me. Also, looks to me like he read it wrong. I'll keep on quoting the same way I have for the last 10 or so years.
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 18:54:23 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Then you'll keep doing it wrong. It's not just a matter of including the text (which admittedly is quoting the poster). It's also a matter of making it clear who's doing the talking. That's what the "quoted text markers" are for. They might be > or : They indicate quoted text, but they also have to reflect the level of quote, and do that by placing two for a quote of a quote. or three for a quote of a quote of a quote.
In your example above everything from "Fri, Oct 12, 2007, 8:24pm " to "quoting the same way I have " is preceded by a single >. That indicates to newsreaders that all 18 lines (in my reader) were uttered by the same author. In fact, the text beginning with "The "first ones 20 years ago" and ending with "supposed to look like" is my work, and should have been preceded in your post by a > or : which would have made them a >> or :: in this reply.
In your post that text isn't. Consequently, it looks to readers as if you wrote the whole post, and clearly you didn't. He didn't read it wrong. You posted it wrong.
There are settings in news readers which do that automatically. I figured out 10 (or so) years ago what they meant and how to do it. It's marginally acceptable for you to continue to do it the way you're doing, so long as you don't mind expecting others to do your work for you. Say, isn't that why you get so upset with people asking where to find stuff?
You're doing exactly the same thing to us. Next time you go off on someone for asking where to find something I'm going to remind you that by your standards it's okay if they keep on asking the same way they have for the last 10 (or so) years. See how you like it.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Don't be so hard on him. He's not using a computer. One of these days.....

I know he's not. I even mentioned that two posts up.

Are you kidding? He buys his clamps at Big Lots...