FWW and Lee Valley Patent

Page 3 of 3

rickluce wrote:

I think a big line is drawn when if the item or idea, or a written description of same, is sold.
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:10:09 GMT, B a r r y

As opposed to just obtaining the fully descriptive patent for free from www.uspto.gov and spending some time in the workshop?

An inaccurate widely spread notion. One of the determining factors the courts use is how recognizable the elements of the first design are in the second. If you think this is vague and totally up to the judge, you'd be right.
Besides, how does one go about quantifying changes? In other words, how do you recognize that up to a point you've only changed the original by 19% and need to do an extra 1%? And how much more and what needs to be done to satisfy that amount?
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Hi Bruce -
No worries here - the only possible offence we're concerned with is FWW commiting "inducement to infringe". You're correct - you can make whatever you want... but FWW cannot teach or promote copying of patented products.
Their "retraction" was a surprise to us - and factually incorrect.
Mistakes happen - and all they had to do was own up to it...
Cheers -
Rob

Thanks, Robin, for clearing the air. I suspected this was going on. Lawyers make people say strange things in unnatural ways. :-)
Cheers!

Thanks, Robin, for clearing the air. I suspected this was going on. Lawyers make people say strange things in unnatural ways. :-)
Cheers!
You gotta love this forum...we can argue about _anything_!!!!
So let me throw _this_ one out: If I were to have to defend a patent of my own, would it be better if it were a left-tilt patent or a right-tilt patent?
wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Personally, I prefer nits and inconsequential details. <G>
Barry
wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

No we can't.
Bruce Barnett wrote:

THAT was good!

It may be too late for segments of the auto industry: GM still hasn't figured out it lost sales because it produced vehicles no one wanted...and it has even less of a clue why no one would want a 3 ton vehicle that gets 10 MPG carrying one person and six bags of groceries as gas prices smacked through 3 bucks a gallon.
Their CEO on TV the other day appeared fully capable of running a lemonade stand.

into the ground.
Mike
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 21:48:53 GMT, "Charles Self"

How would you like to buy a car, or a car with an engine that came from one of the plants on the public to-be-closed list? <G>