FWIW - OT MESSAGE HEADERS

With the advent of the civilized, considerate, practice of marking "off topic" messages "OT" hereabouts (apparently an excellent practice, in most of our opinions), many have noted that replies to the original messages in a "Thread" so marked do not retain the all important "OT" designation.
In most cases this is actually the result of the OP using a reserved "control character" to delineate the "OT", such as the colon in "OT:".
In an attempt to conform to RFC Internet protocols, many mail/news clients strip out what are considered "encoded words" and/or other characters that precede, without a space, these control characters that are used to terminate/modify message header information.
(See RFC #822, and others, for more information on the structure of header fields)
Some newsreaders follow protocol, some do not, (recent versions of OE do this routinely, while most versions of Forte Agent do not), so to insure your original message contains the off topic designation, it is a good practice to NOT use a ":" immediately preceding the "OT:", thusly, in the subject header of your OT marked messages if you wish all threaded replies to remain marked "OT".
Strictly FWIW ... YMMV
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Did you mean "immediately *following* the 'OT'?"
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
"LRod" wrote in message

Yep ... thanks for catching that!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Anyone filtering OT would not see your OT MESSAGE HEADERS post.

Depends on how they filter, doesn't it? A filter that's looking for "OT" at the *beginning* of the subject line would not trap that post.
"ROY!" wrote in message

Neither will most of the pygmies in central Africa .... and your point?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Especially if they filter OT in the subject line.

Help me out with what I'm missing here ... if "they" are indeed filtering OT in the subject header in the first place, why would "they" give a shit/be upset if "they" missed this particular thread?
Ever hear of a "moot point" (US idiom, not UK)? ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

You know what I like best about these. 'how many angels can fit on the head of a pin', posts?
It means that we are not being bothered by anything that is really important.
That makes me happy.
Regards, Tom.
Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 / tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
"Tom Watson" wrote

Sorry 'bout the colateral splatter, Bubba ... but you, of all people, should be well aware that you can't do a 'public service' hereabouts without a little pissing contest. :)
-- www.e-woodshop.net Last update: 5/14/08 KarlC@ (the obvious)

I just looked over to the choir and they said, "Amen!"
(it was really loud, too)
Regards, Tom.
Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 / tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Curiously enough, RFC 822 does not address the issue of the embedded colon in the subject line at all. In fact it specifically defines the subject as an unparsed text string. As best I can recall from many years ago the "proper" method of dealing with a modifier in the subject was to test for the colon and, if present do nothing, if not present to prepend a "re:" at the beginning. When properly implemented you can use "OT:" and follow-ups will come out as "OT:". If poorly implemented you get "re: OT:". I haven't the time to try to search out what is really the desired behavior, but clearly one that allows for tagging posts as "OT:" is better behaved than one that forces you to use "OT - " or some such, producing "re: OT - " in the follow-ups. Granted, a properly threading newsreader will not be fooled, but I don't think that OE threads properly anyway. Forte gives the option of threading on subject.
Your point about using something other than the colon following the OT is well taken, but the reason why it misbehaves is, I believe, somewhat different from your explanation.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
"I'm not exactly burned out, but I'm a little bit scorched and there's some smoke damage."

I use Thunderbird and it doesn't mess with OT: in the subject line or in the body of a message. Historically, Netscape/Thunderbird have followed protocol more so than Microsoft, so when someone says MicroSoft does something right, it grabs my attention.
Tim Douglass wrote:

Now this makes sense, in that Thunderbird has it right, and OE has it wrong.

Well, since the subject: came up, and my curiosity was aroused when MS was accused of doing something right, I went and looked through RFC 822 and it seemed clear the subject is a text field and colons are fine.
Now, since you "think the point is well taken" re: colons, and the Swingman thinks MS is following protocol by striping out OT with colons, my curiosity is not quenched just yet. Should colons be a control character in the text field or not and where can I find the truth?
My money is on Thunderbird vs OE with re: to following protocol but I'm always looking for MS getting something right...
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Ohhhhh waitasec *brainfart* You meant YOU were being sarcastic?

Ohhhhh waitasec *brainfart* You meant YOU were being sarcastic? ------------------------
Yep, this whole thing about being a dumbass. Dumbasses rarely recognize it. I wuz pretending to be a dumbass while doing a very intelligent thing. I was cutting myself off from someone who preaches incredibly boring, revisionist history.
Besides, shrill voices give me tinnitus.
I was also letting him know that even the folks he supposedly identifies with don't like having their newsgroup hijacked for a very angry, personal agenda. Even dumbasses don't appreciate the screaming diatribes.
Comprende'??