FWIW I found this on Craigslist NH today..

http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/216184110.html
I have no monetary interest, just the lack of it to go look myself.
-Jim
Tue, Oct 10, 2006, 9:09am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (jtpr) doth posteth: http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/216184110.html I have no monetary interest, just the lack of it to go look myself.
I know exactly what you mean. Periodically I post listings from the local bargain papers. Some of these would be of great interest to myself, except for the lack of spare money to buy; otherwise I'd be checking them out, and not posting about them. At least it's good karma.
jtpr wrote:

I wonder what criterion the seller uses to distinguish between 'tiger' and 'curly' maple.
--

FF

On 10 Oct 2006 16:24:40 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Agreed - something in those pics is not right!
Joe Bemier wrote:

Really 'good' curly maple is sometimes called 'fiddleback' as it is the material preferred by modern violin luthiers for the backs of stringed instruments. Stradivarius and I think also the other great masters of Cemnona prefered plainly figured wood, though.
I might suppose he refers to the broad curls as 'curly' and the narrow ones as 'tiger' but there does not seem to be any real standard.
That said, it looks like GREAT wood.
--

FF