Fwd: Cling Wrap

Page 1 of 2
I thought this was good enough to share.
Posted by Bob La Londe in the newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking
Sometimes you have to put in a screw in a place that you just can't get your hand in there and if you drop the screw you are totally hosed. I was repairing a broken wire in my boat yesterday and ran into one of those. Of course it's a stainless steel screw so a mag tip wouldn't work.
I couldn't find any of the screw holder screwdrivers I used to have, and it was late enough I wasn't confident in finding one at any stores that would still be open. I considered making one, but thought maybe somebody else would have a better solution. I did a search for DIY screw holding screwdriver or something like that and found a good tip that worked perfectly.
Poke the screw through some cling wrap. Place the screw on the screw driver. Wrap the cling wrap around the screw driver to hold the screw firmly against the tip. Start the screw a couple threads. Pull back the cling wrap and screwdriver to tear the screw through. Remove the cling wrap. Tighten the screw the rest of the way.
Its simple, elegant, works very well, and I wish had thought of it.

Should have claimed Bob got the idea from you. jk
Clever idea. Have to keep that one in mind. Thanks.
Sonny

Filed in head for future reference... Thanks!
In article

Forwarded to a lot of other people I know.
--
Stuart Winsor

Midland RISC OS show - Sat July 9th 2011
A drop of thin CA (superglue) works well also.. When the screw is started, a little sideways pressure breaks the bond.. I used to worry that the CA might fill the screw head but it never has..

I use CA when putting a nut in a confined space. Super glue the nut to the end of your finger, put it into place, screw bolt into nut, pull finger away. May leave some skin but skin is cheap. it grows back. Thanks for the tip. May save some skin.
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 23:01:59 -0800, Mac Davis

paperclip onto the shaft of the screwdriver, ten just hook the loop of the paperclip over the head of the screw to hold it on. Easier to do than describe.

My variation on that theme - I use the Post-It Note adhesive that comes in the mail. It's used to seal magazine covers and coupon booklets and keep them closed during mailing, yet has to be easy to open without tearing the paper. The stuff is a strip, like a bead of caulk, and it can be rolled up with a finger. It looks just like a booger and it's as sticky as one, without the grossness involved. It makes a dandy temporary adhesive blob to hold a screw onto a screwdriver, and it's easy to remove and doesn't leave any residue.

You're right -- in the printing industry, it IS commonly referred to as "booger glue."

Is it really? Makes sense I guess. I think that's another offshoot from the 3M Post-It Note invention. The story goes that the 3M guy who invented the stuff couldn't figure out a use for such a weak adhesive, and his secretary used some to stick notes on his papers. When other secretary's saw the notes they asked where they could get some and an industry was born.
I heard the story slightly differently.
I was along the line of nylon.
Task was to find a chemical for a purpose - I don't think it was glue.
When the mixture came out - experiment xx - it was nominal in value.
He, the scientist, made a pad of paper for his admin and she started to use it - and it was like wildfire in that 3M site.
Martin
On 2/12/2011 6:43 PM, RicodJour wrote:

The story of how it was invented from the horse's mouth. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/f08e8a9a-fcd7-11df-ae2d-00144feab49a.html#axzz18hyDnyKX
I've always thought 3M was a great company. I've never used a product with 3M on it that wasn't at the very least good.
Thanks for the facts.
Suspect it has worked like a rumor - changes by the number of discussions.
Martin
On 2/12/2011 10:26 PM, RicodJour wrote:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/f08e8a9a-fcd7-11df-ae2d-00144feab49a.html#axzz18hyDnyKX

Bill wrote the following:

I have this small screw starter tool from New Britain, but it only works with slotted head screws, not the phillips head screws. It works very well and grips the screw head tightly. Here's a pic of it. It's the third tool up from the bottom of the page (fig.75) http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artifacts/newbritain-nonebetter.html#specialty Click on the pic for a larger view.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Quick-Wedge makes similar drivers which are readily availalble on line. Art
TV repairmen (remember those?) use a wrap or two of electrical tape around both the screw and driver tip. Start the screw a few turns then pull the driver out, pull off the tape, and tighten the screw. Works for slotted, phillips, hex, torx, all kinds of drives and screws. Also works on nuts and nut drivers. I used this method yesterday.
lektric dan wrote:

I've used Scotch tape more than once.

Brilliant, and like many brilliant ideas--simple.

Another cling wrap/wax paper/Al foil roll tip. Ever have the roll jump out of the box when you're pulling off a piece? Most of the enclosing boxes actually have hole tabs partially punched in both ends. Insert a dowel through the hole with a fixed horizontal dowel at one end and a hole for another horizontal dowel/piece of wire/etc. at the other end and the roll stays in the box. Simply putting a finger through one of the holes isn't bad either. It's notable how many people don't know about this.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey