Future of cabinet making...

Page 3 of 3

In those 8-9 years I'd bet the cost of things went up higher than he expected, and so he didn't see what a deal he got. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to find out later that A:He is now price shopping, and B: if he doesn't come back to you now that he finds out the cost of current day pricing that he may very well come back after a while all chagrinned, that he paid someone near what he paid you only to find out the quality was lower.
I'd bet you have seen that before.
On 3/3/2016 5:24 PM, Leon wrote:

As you well know, he did you a BIGGGGG favor by not accepting your bid. ;)
I can't think of a single instance, out of hundreds, that bidding lower than my comfort zone, and getting the job, did not end up in some kind of misery for me.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 3/4/2016 10:02 AM, Swingman wrote:

Especially with the "special pricing" I really did not want to move that big SG window out of his apartment.

;~) I thought the job would be fun, not complicated.
Leon wrote:

You could have asked him to deliver it, and pick it up. Then you wouldn't have the liability for it hanging over your shoulder either. And having it in your way, it would encourage you to complete the work faster! ; )
Bill
On 3/4/2016 11:13 AM, Bill wrote:

Too big to fit in his car and he has no truck. :~(
BUT as Swingman said it was probably a blessing. I was trying to do him a favor. I have learned that if you don't want a job, over price the bid, and then I'm perfectly willing to do it at that price and oddly they usually jump at the chance. ;~)
On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 10:01:29 AM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:

Karl... did I sense a snort of derision in that post? LOL!!
Personally, I embrace valid technology (had to be vetted first) and will ad opt any of it that makes me money. I don't feel threatened by machines or even other contractors when comparing apples to apples. My whole business for the last two decades has been built on maintenance, repair, rehab, and repurposing. No machine can do that.
We are on the same page.
I know a machine cannot take down, mortise in new hinges, and rehang an 8' stained glass door. I did that last year and refitted hardware as needed t o operate properly.
I know a machine cannot rehang cabinet doors to straighten out their appear ance on cabinets that have been sagging for almost 40 years.
Positive that a machine cannot cut a reglet into a fireplace built from odd sized river stones and then flash/counter flash after grinding down indivi dual stones as need for a good fit. Then seal it, and re install the concre te tile roof over ice and water shield.
Not worried about all the other "different" kinds of work that is passed my way leaving me for a machine. Tomorrow I am going to look at the interior framing details on a flat roof in a small commercial building to see if pa rt of it can be lifted, straightened, then reroofed. At the least I will g et my consulting fee (which is probably all I will get!)but I will write a Jim Dandy report for them.
Although I haven't found "riches in niches", I found out decades ago that m y phone will continue to ring if I will do the work others won't, learn ski lls that others don't have, invest in the right tools, and to take it a ste p further, provide and elegant and affordable solution for a client's needs .
Right there with you, big guy.
Robert

I agree! Natural evolution but still with the needs of experience to run them. Who knew that the Domino mortises align easier when one is a little over sized. ;~) I just tickles the hell out of me to occasionally point out something to you and Swingman that you did not know and how little I bring to the table compared to the two of you!

Precisely, does the automated machine also pick the wood, pick the grain, and or know which face to expose? Mother nature produces a product that only humans can appreciate. Automated machines work best with materials made by other machines.

There is nothing that looks quite as bad as a DT joint that has parts of the tails missing or mating pieces that are not smooth, or sanded smooth. I have seen a placard on a piece of furniture pointing out the better quality features and the DT's being one of them. The drawers looked horrible for all of the above reasons.

Yup, at least not yet....... I learned today that you can now download wash programs and communicate with your brand new "washing machine" through your smart phone....... Is that an improvement???

Well with friends like you and Robert and a few others on this group, who needs to advertize. You are right there too AAMOF.

Whew! Is there another Leon you are talking about? I am totally humbled and deeply appreciate your words. It is always a treat to hear a customer squeal when I deliver a piece and long before they look closely. But you have seen my work on numerous occasions and up close, very up close. I still vividly recall some of your and Swingman's comments and cherish those words because y'all truly know what goes into decent work. I have discovered a pains taking way to build furniture/cabinets that seems to be a well received design. I have to thank Swingman for turning on the light for me in this respect. That started many years ago when we first met and started working together. Specifically it was the way he designed and we assembled kitchen cabinets. And to be more specific the way his face frames fit the panels of the cabinets. Three or four years later I took that a bit further with adding back face frames joined to the panels same as the front and the back face frames assembled with a combination of rabbets, lap joints, and floating tenons. I absolutely give credit to God for the wisdom to notice important lessons from from friends and colleagues and the knowledge to do the work that I do.

Excellent points. I very often make the comment, when talking about my woodworking, that I absolutely do not earn enough to make a living. Could I, probably but then it would be a "real" job. Could I be as picky as I am now? NO!

I think you hit the nail on the head Robert. You know I did not see this working out the way it has. Like everyone else I had a job although I did make a good living and tried to not spend every penny. And it did not hurt at all that Kim also made a respectable living. And then one day Kim became pregnant and priorities changed drastically. I will say that shortly before Bryan was born I began tidying up our finances and 10 years later we became and still are debt free, and I mean totally debt free. That is the ticket. I bought our first computer in 1986 and probably the first program that I loaded on it was an amortization program and then Lotus 123. Both programs painted me a picture of where we stood and what we would need to do to get to where I wanted for us to be. If you have ever heard of Dave Ramsey then you might be familiar with the method I used. Except I did not hear of Dave Ramsey until after we were debt free for 10 or so years. Bryan was in high school and told me about the guy on the radio that is preaching to do what we did. ;~) Any way there is nothing that feels quite as good as not having a house, car, or rent payment. Financial freedom opens countless doors.
Thank you Robert and Swingman for the kind words.