Future of cabinet making...

There are all sorts of stories about such, but every one I've seen is BS. They "forget" things like company stock and other perks. It's a silly idea anyway but pretending is worse, IMO.

Reply to
krw

Karl... did I sense a snort of derision in that post? LOL!!

Personally, I embrace valid technology (had to be vetted first) and will ad opt any of it that makes me money. I don't feel threatened by machines or even other contractors when comparing apples to apples. My whole business for the last two decades has been built on maintenance, repair, rehab, and repurposing. No machine can do that.

We are on the same page.

I know a machine cannot take down, mortise in new hinges, and rehang an 8' stained glass door. I did that last year and refitted hardware as needed t o operate properly.

I know a machine cannot rehang cabinet doors to straighten out their appear ance on cabinets that have been sagging for almost 40 years.

Positive that a machine cannot cut a reglet into a fireplace built from odd sized river stones and then flash/counter flash after grinding down indivi dual stones as need for a good fit. Then seal it, and re install the concre te tile roof over ice and water shield.

Not worried about all the other "different" kinds of work that is passed my way leaving me for a machine. Tomorrow I am going to look at the interior framing details on a flat roof in a small commercial building to see if pa rt of it can be lifted, straightened, then reroofed. At the least I will g et my consulting fee (which is probably all I will get!)but I will write a Jim Dandy report for them.

Although I haven't found "riches in niches", I found out decades ago that m y phone will continue to ring if I will do the work others won't, learn ski lls that others don't have, invest in the right tools, and to take it a ste p further, provide and elegant and affordable solution for a client's needs .

Right there with you, big guy.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

As you well know, he did you a BIGGGGG favor by not accepting your bid. ;)

I can't think of a single instance, out of hundreds, that bidding lower than my comfort zone, and getting the job, did not end up in some kind of misery for me.

Reply to
Swingman

Especially with the "special pricing" I really did not want to move that big SG window out of his apartment.

;~) I thought the job would be fun, not complicated.

Reply to
Leon

You could have asked him to deliver it, and pick it up. Then you wouldn't have the liability for it hanging over your shoulder either. And having it in your way, it would encourage you to complete the work faster! ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Too big to fit in his car and he has no truck. :~(

BUT as Swingman said it was probably a blessing. I was trying to do him a favor. I have learned that if you don't want a job, over price the bid, and then I'm perfectly willing to do it at that price and oddly they usually jump at the chance. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I thought this post was interesting enough to discuss and thereafter send to a family member! I'm sure lots of folks here have seen it all for themselves, but it's nice to have some of the details laid out, such as they are, in Leon's post.

Bill

Reply to
Bill