Furniture restoration question

I got some chairs and a table. They need light sanding, a little stain here and there, some shiny varnish, just a tune up. I do not want to restore them to original, just nice.

How easy is it to get the stains to match? Should I go to the Borg, and get about four different shades, and then mix them in small quantities? When you do a touch up like that, does the new stain stick out a lot, making the repairs and sanded areas another shade? Are there pigments made to make your own in small quantities? I have a bunch of small air brush bottles that I can keep small amounts in, helping to waste less.

Anyone guide me to a restoring furniture for dummies where I can get started?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

You'd have a lot better luck matching the color with dye than with stain. Go to Woodcraft or somewhere similar and get something like:

Either the powder or the liquid works, I like the liquid better because I can mix it with shellac.

Mix it very weak and try it on a scrap of the same kind of wood or on a hidden part. Add a drop or two at a time to reach a match.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard