Furniture restoration question

I got some chairs and a table. They need light sanding, a little stain here and there, some shiny varnish, just a tune up. I do not want to restore them to original, just nice.
How easy is it to get the stains to match? Should I go to the Borg, and get about four different shades, and then mix them in small quantities? When you do a touch up like that, does the new stain stick out a lot, making the repairs and sanded areas another shade? Are there pigments made to make your own in small quantities? I have a bunch of small air brush bottles that I can keep small amounts in, helping to waste less.
Anyone guide me to a restoring furniture for dummies where I can get started?
Steve
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 17:08:14 -0700, Steve B wrote:

You'd have a lot better luck matching the color with dye than with stain. Go to Woodcraft or somewhere similar and get something like:
<http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search.aspx ? query=dye&BrandForDisplay=TransTint>
Either the powder or the liquid works, I like the liquid better because I can mix it with shellac.
Mix it very weak and try it on a scrap of the same kind of wood or on a hidden part. Add a drop or two at a time to reach a match.
carrying a cross.