Furniture refinishing question

Anyone know of a furniture refinishing discussion group?
If not...
I've recently acquired a 1920's era chest of drawers which I would like to refinish. It is made out of both a light wood (possibly ash) and mahogany.
It looks like the entire chest (light wood + mahogany) was covered with a light red stain. Then the light wood was covered with a dark red tinted lacquer, making the light wood areas about the same color as the mahogany+light red stain. Then the whole thing seems to have then been covered with clear lacquer.
Lacquer thinner takes the light wood areas down to a color I will describe as "ash with a light red stain," something close to dark pink. Lacquer thinner takes the clear lacquer off the mahogany sections, leaving them the same dark red color they were originally.
What's my best approach to match the colors? I've checked with Dalys, they don't offer a "lacquer tinting" product. They suggested I stain the light wood to match the mahogany, then cover the entire chest with clear lacquer.
Suggestions?
Thanks!
woodweb.com
dave
Alan Johnson wrote:

more specifically: http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/finishing.pl
I've gleaned a lot from this forum.
enjoy!
dave
Alan Johnson wrote:

I did a similar project (before and after can be found on my web site) and left the handles light colored. Looked a lot better in my opinion.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net