Furniture Polish Help

I realize this is not a housecleaning newsgroup, but I thought that you guys would be able to help me out. First off, I have made a mistake polishing my maple dining room table (smooth satin finish). I sprayed the top with pledge furniture polish for a quick dust and the phone rang. I answered it, did not tarry long...but evidently too long because when I went back the pledge had dried to a dull cloudy mess and I could not rub it to any finish. I resprayed with pledge and rubbed, but it's still cloudy with no sheen. What has happened and what can I do to fix it other than find a tablecloth? Thanks so much.
On 4 Oct 2003 11:54:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (mypet) wrote:

Sounds like water seeped between the finish and the wood. Rub the table with a rag and mayonnaise. Bring back the sheen with Johnson's Paste wax.