Furniture kits

Hello. Beginner question. Dare I ask.... What companies are you all currently recommending for high quality furniture kits? I was looking online at The Bartley Collection.

I did a google group search, but with the way things work these days, the responses might be out of date. Thank you.

Reply to
jack

Your local hardwood supplier.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Just buy some wood. Cut away anything that does not look like furniture.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Looks great. Might save a lot of time finding wood, etc. why not try a small project and give us your evaluation.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

jack asks:

OK. disregard the smart-assed opinions. It's understandable that a total beginner won't have tools or skills to build furniture. Bartley's is a good place to start: their kits have excellent reputations.

You'll still need some skill and equipment, mostly in dealing with clamps and gluing and finishing, but you do not need such items as a table saw, jointer, planer and router, so the coss are much lower. I would strongly suggest you pick up a top quality measuring tape or other such device, the required clamps, and a block plane just in case changes are needed (Lee Valley's Veritas apron plane is excellent for this, as is the E.C. Emmerich block plane [especially as tuned by Tom Watson]).

I also suggest you start small and as cheap as possible. Bartley's grouping of kits includes some that are mighty expensive, which means they're also mighty complex. Go with the easy stuff at first.

You might also want to consider a small clock kit from--who else--Klockit. They've got an estimable selection of wall clock kits, as does Emperor Clock. EC is more expensive.

Good luck.

Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine

Reply to
Charlie Self

To be honest, we're not.

What sort of piece are you thinking of ?

Looks like nice enough stuff. I'd want better pictures before I spend over $1000 though.

I'm not sure what a kit is really gaining you though. It provides all the parts (I know some people just can't find decent timber locally). It also does the big-machine machining for you. There's still an awful lot of work left to do though, including the finishing. These are expensive kits, and they're a long way from "screw on the handles and you're done".

So what is this kit giving you that a good project book doesn't ? If you have the space to work on a large piece, and the money to buy this kit, then you can afford a decent table saw and work from plain timber. If it's a small clock and you're really short on space, then it might work, but I just can't see the proposition of building something on the scale of a highboy where someone is skilled enough to finish the kit, yet not skilled, equipped and experienced enough to do it from scratch.

I think building one of these kits would work, and deliver some good furniture - but so would something simpler, from scratch, with guidance.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Jack - You have probably figured out that most of the guys who frequent this group tend to build their own stuff.

I agree with Charlie. If you think you have the inclination to put a piece together and finish it, start with Bartley or one of the clock companies. In fact, Klockit offerors some non-clock music box, weather station and other kits that are good starter projects. Some of the Bartley stuff is pretty sophisticated but they have some shelves, tables, etc. that will challenge you and let you produce some nice items. Frankly, you would have to have some pretty nice shop equipment and experience to build some of the pieces, mouldings and other details used in these kits.

The clock companies also offer plans for some of their products. One of my first serious projects was a schoolhouse regulator built around a 1901 movement my grandfather had. It was a very rewarding project that has been hanging in our houses for 25 years. If you get started with a kit or plan and feel like this is something you would enjoy, hang around this and other wood newsgroups, subscribe to wood-related magazines and check out your library. This is usually enough to get a hidden tool-fetish out of the closet.