Fuming Purpleheart

I am working on a project that is African Mahogany framed with Purpleheart.I was concerned if I needed to treat the edge that I'm going to glue, because of the oils (like Teak). It was suggested that I fume the purpleheart with muratic acid. I had seen the fuming process done with ammonia, but never with acid. Has anyone ever done this? Any tips or concerns would be appreciated Thanks

Reply to
i82much

Bond it fresh cut (from the jointer, planer, or glueline rip blade, not sanded) with a good epoxy and it should be fine. Sanding in principle will heat the surface and bring up the oils. A solvent wipe is said to do the same. So will letting it sit after cutting.

If Steven Knight tells you different, believe him--he's got more experience with exotic woods than I do--but that's the advice I've been following and so far it's working.

I've never heard of fuming being done to promote an adhesive bond. HCl fuming is supposed to change the color of Purpleheard to "cranberry" though. Something I may give a try sometime.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I edged some maple plywood with purpleheart for a storage-box lid a few years ago using basic yellow wood glue. No special treatment for the purpleheart.

So far it's held up just fine with more-or-less daily use.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Fuming is generally done to fix or change the color. I've used purpleheart a couple of times and had no problems with glueing. It did not seem particularlly oily (like the cocobolo I used once), but wiping with acetone or maybe alcohol should mitigate any oil problem that may be.

ron

Reply to
r payne