Fuming it is! *PIC*

Page 4 of 4

David,
Do you think it will get even darker from UV/light? The ammonia (or lye if you would have used that) reacts with the tannins. I'm not sure what light reacts with but I fear ( well not really fear - I'd say "think" but I don't do much of that either) that the piece may become almost black when the cherry darkens even more from light.
This may have been discussed already but with the signal to noise ratio lately, I haven't been visiting much.
Steve,

I don't know. The little cherry clock I made last year and did a lye dye job has only mellowed in the last 18 months, I had a good look at it last weekend when I was visiting the friend I gave it to. Where there was *some very small* blotching that I saw when I "lye'd" the cherry, it has evened out with time.
I am going to go *way* out here on a limb and speculate with absolutely nothing to back me up here, but my supposition is that there is only so much tannin to work with, and when you use it up chemically treating the wood, that is it, no more colour change. In other words, all you are doing is speeding up the oxidization process, and once it is done, it is done.

I don't see any of the shit, Nfilter does work, and it works well. Only problem is that it has disappeared from the web. I hope someone hosts the .exe so I can point to it in the mini-faq.
Guess what I have gotten myself into? I am helping a friend teach a woodworking extension course at a local high school in the evening. The interesting part, the instructor is female, and so is the entire class!
Thanks,
David.

Yeah, life sucks don't it? You're spending your time with exotic Canadian women. I'm spending my time painting my daughter's room 2 different shades of pink. I actually had to go into the paint store and ask for a gallon of "Little Girl". She (three years old and 1 month) wanted to help paint her room so now I have pink all over my Carhart overalls.
What about a certain girl-at-the-beach-next-to-the-Ranger?
Guess what I've gotten myself into? I was all set to spend the winter making a new bed and dressser with some tasty walnut.
My wife told me that I have until the end of May to make a new cradle.
So THAT'S the step I've been leaving out of my woodworking projects? I didn't know I'm suppose to sample the wood first! Thanks for the tip PM. BTW, how do you remove all those slivers from your tongue?
dave
PM6564 wrote: snip I was all set to spend the winter

In article

Sounds as good or better than anything I've been able to come up with - in my experience, the fumed cherry pieces haven't darkened any more. None are regularly exposed to direct sunlight, but I don't think it would do much more (if anything).
Good question, David.
I work with a lot of cherry, cut from my dad's farm, and I've had that problem with Lye-darkened cherry. Over time, it appears to get darker and darker.
Brent

fume my

even
David,
what is the effect on glue? Does it weaken? Also, does the glue stop darkening by the ammonia?
Greg

my
Dave, I've been wanting to try fuming (on white oak) but I can't find anyplace that will ship the ammonia. Do you have a source?
Thanks, jim

Just go and buy the stuff at your local ironmongers. You only need 25% - you can buy this as a domestic cleaner, it's not some terrifying industrial cleaner.

anyplace

What is ironmongers? I have checked around in the local stores for cleaning supplies and nothing is even close to 25%...
Jim Schatte asks:

I think "ironmongers" is British for hardware store.
If you can't locate it there, check out any store locally that does extensive blueprint copying. The word is not much is done with ammonia these days, but in some areas the word is wrong. Ammonia used to bring up blueprints is plenty strong.
I think regular house grade ammonia will also work: it just takes a lot longer.
Charlie Self
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." Thomas J. Watson